virus program acting up

I have very little time to get an answer (3 hours). Im on a teachers
computer, and he believes that his virus prgrams (SP2 and AVG free) are
acting up. His start up and processes are slow on his computer, even though
it is a new computer. Pls help ASAP.
3 answers Last reply
More about virus program acting

    What is meant by "acting up"? Has AVG been updated? What Service Pack 2
    virus program are you referring to? There is no anti-virus program supplied
    in SP2. You can go online and get free virus scans from Symantec, Trend
    Micro and McAfee. Make sure the system is protected by, at the very least,
    the firewall provided by Microsoft. Zone Alarm makes a very good firewall,
    and it is free. You also need to have something like AdAware and SpyBot
    Search and Destroy installed. You can Google for those and install them.
    They are totally free.

    "thunderstruck_302" <thunderstruck302@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message news:B9F2BA1E-F225-49F4-9C59-051E71279771@microsoft.com...
    > I have very little time to get an answer (3 hours). Im on a teachers
    > computer, and he believes that his virus prgrams (SP2 and AVG free) are
    > acting up. His start up and processes are slow on his computer, even
    though
    > it is a new computer. Pls help ASAP.

    In news:B9F2BA1E-F225-49F4-9C59-051E71279771@microsoft.com,
    thunderstruck_302 <thunderstruck302@discussions.microsoft.com>
    typed:

    > I have very little time to get an answer (3 hours). Im on a
    > teachers
    > computer, and he believes that his virus prgrams (SP2 and AVG
    > free)
    > are acting up. His start up and processes are slow on his
    > computer,
    > even though it is a new computer. Pls help ASAP.

    First of all, note that SP2 is not a virus program, is not an
    anti-virus program, and doesn't contain an anti-virus program.

    Second, what does "acting up" mean? Please be explicit about the
    problem.

    Third, a slow startup doesn't necessarily have any relation to
    anything else running slowly. My personal view is that the
    attention many people pay to how long it takes to boot is
    unwarranted. Assuming that the computer's speed is otherwise
    satisfactory, it may not be worth worrying about. Most people
    start their computers once a day or even less frequently. In the
    overall scheme of things, even a few minutes to start up isn't
    very important. Personally I power on my computer when I get up
    in the morning, then go get my coffee. When I come back, it's
    done booting. I don't know how long it took to boot and I don't
    care.

    If the computer starts slowly, it's usually because there are
    programs that start automatically with it. Some of these may be
    unnecessary and he may be able to speed things up by getting rid
    of them. On each program you don't want to start automatically,
    check its Options to see if it has the choice not to start (make
    sure you actually choose the option not to run it, not just a
    "don't show icon" option). Many can easily and best be stopped
    that way. If that doesn't work, run MSCONFIG from the Start | Run
    line, and on the Startup tab, uncheck the programs you don't want
    to start automatically.

    However, if I were you, I wouldn't do this just for the purpose
    of running the minimum number of programs. Despite what many
    people tell you, you should be concerned, not with how *many* of
    these programs you run, but *which*. Some of them can hurt
    performance severely, but others have no effect on performance.

    Last, you say "processes are slow on his computer." What
    processes? How slow? What processor does he have and how much
    RAM? His computer may be underpowered for Windows XP. Does he run
    anti-spyware software? Which ones? If he doesn't run any, he is
    likely infected with several pieces of malware, and that could
    well account for his system being slow.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    More likely that this computer may contain "spywares"

    Download and run:

    AD Aware SE 1.06
    Spybot: Search and Destroy 1.4
    CWShredder

    Microsoft AntiSpyware Beta

    Please note that SP2 is NOT AN ANTI-VIRUS program. It is the latest service
    pack (SP) for XP.

    "thunderstruck_302" <thunderstruck302@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message news:B9F2BA1E-F225-49F4-9C59-051E71279771@microsoft.com...
    >I have very little time to get an answer (3 hours). Im on a teachers
    > computer, and he believes that his virus prgrams (SP2 and AVG free) are
    > acting up. His start up and processes are slow on his computer, even
    > though
    > it is a new computer. Pls help ASAP.

Virus Computers Microsoft Windows XP