Help! No DOS drivers for my card!

baldurga

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2002
Hi to everybody,

I have a Terratec Aureon 7.1 in my computer and I want to run some old DOS games. The problem is that there aren't any DOS drivers for this card.

I have already ask Terratec and their answer is sorry, "no drivers at all".

Maybe are there any "generic drivers" that could solve this problem? Maybe download SoundBlaster 16 or Pro drivers are an option? Or is this a silly idea? Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Still looking for a <b>good online retailer</b> in Spain :frown:

sadcunt

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2004
Well, why would you want to run some old DOS games, anyway?

Oh, never mind...

You might wan't to try MS Virtual PC 2004. There is a 45 day full version demo at http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtualpc/

This software fully emulates a PC (with SB 16 card I think)
This should allow you to install Windows 95/98/DOS and run some games.

I guess that some of those old DOS Games used some pretty nasty direct-port stuff to get the sound cards to play and this might just not work unless you actually have an original SB16 ISA card...

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Try VDMSound. It emulates an SB16 in software, IRQs, DMAs, ports and all. I think you also need something called DOSBox. VDMSound uses Windows calls so any sound card will work (in theory).

There's a Win2K/XP version. There's also a VDMSound port for Windows 98 though it's not very stable.

Sorry, I don't have my bookmarks on this machine but you can start your search at <A HREF="http://www.sourceforge.net" target="_new">http://www.sourceforge.net</A>

<b>[addition]</b>
I forgot to mention a great feature of VDMSound. Windows input devices are supported. Gamepads, mice, joysticks, etc. No need to dig up DOS drivers. Even USB input devices are supported which was never true with those old DOS games (because USB didn't exist at the time).
<b>56K, slow and steady does not win the race on internet!</b><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by phsstpok on 07/12/04 11:36 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

baldurga

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2002
Thanks to both for the information!

I will try it ... in two weeks :frown: . Regreatably right now I'm in London for business reasons, so I can not try it tonight.

And about why playing old DOS games ... well, I want to remember some of the best times I lived playing those old BUT GREAT games. A lot of hours spend on them.

Still looking for a <b>good online retailer</b> in Spain :frown:

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Well, I'm on my main machine now but I still can't give you links. I can't find the relevent ones. (I'm so disorganized. LOL).

Somewhere (online) there is a database of games that have been tested with WinXP using VDMSound.

If a particular game works with the combination there is another advantage to using it. You don't have the issue of DOS drivers eating up convential memory.

Nothing more infurating than running those old games and getting the same old "Out of Memory" errors.

<b>56K, slow and steady does not win the race on internet!</b>