How do i change the name that is registered in XP

I just baught a laptop only 6 months old. I want to be the registered owner
of the XP Home edition thats on the laptop, cause the late owner are still
registered in XP
how do i do that ?
4 answers Last reply
More about change registered

    This will do the trick.

    Matt Gibson - GSEC

    "Arcticus" <Arcticus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I just baught a laptop only 6 months old. I want to be the registered owner
    > of the XP Home edition thats on the laptop, cause the late owner are still
    > registered in XP
    > how do i do that ?

    How To Change Registered Owner`s Name On Win Xp
    http://www.astahost.com/info.php/how-to-change-registered-owner-s-name-on-win-xp_t2311.html
    --
    Some days you're the windshield,
    some days you're the bug.

    In news:B0D9F24B-F558-4DBC-89EF-7067D17705D5@microsoft.com,
    Arcticus <Arcticus@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

    > I just baught a laptop only 6 months old. I want to be the
    > registered
    > owner of the XP Home edition thats on the laptop, cause the
    > late
    > owner are still registered in XP
    > how do i do that ?

    If I bought a used computer, the first thing I would do with it
    would be to reinstall the operating system cleanly. You have no
    idea how the computer has been maintained, what has been
    installed incorrectly, what is missing, what viruses and spyware
    there may be, etc. I wouldn't want to live with somebody else's
    mistakes and problems, possibility of kiddie porn, etc., and I
    wouldn't recommend that anyone else do either.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    Arcticus wrote:
    > I just baught a laptop only 6 months old. I want to be the registered owner
    > of the XP Home edition thats on the laptop, cause the late owner are still
    > registered in XP
    > how do i do that ?

    With second-hand computers, especially if acquired from strangers
    but perhaps even if acquired from a family member, your wisest course
    of action would probably be to format the hard drives and start fresh.
    You don't want to get in trouble because the original owner may have
    filled the hard drive with kiddie porn, or have problems because the
    original owner downloaded/installed viruses or other malware.

    However, to fix the "Registered to" information for WinNT/2K/XP,
    you can use Start > Run > Regedit.exe to edit:

    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current Version\RegisteredOwner

    and:

    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current
    Version\RegisteredOrganization

    How this will affect the name displayed in previously installed
    applications will vary depending upon each individual program; some
    read the registered owner information dynamically, while others read
    it only during installation.

    The user profile folders (C:\Documents and Settings\Username)
    _cannot_ be renamed, even if the associated user account has been.
    So, your best course of action would be to log on using the built-in
    Administrator account, create a new user account, with the username
    desired. You can then delete the old user account(s).

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH