My pc works like a charm, except in one area.

When I go to control panel and click on something to check, I get a
pop-up that Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and must close.
Sorry for the Inconvenience...

Then another pop-up from something called, Dr. Watson, saying that
encountered a problem, etc. Then the pc freezes. I go to task manager
and it shows that control panel has stopped. Once I end task, my pc is
fine again after my desktop icons refresh.

I can be on the pc for days at a time without any problems, until I go
to control panel.

I've done a disk cleanup, scanned with Ad-aware, spywareblaster,
Norton's Internet Security, and everything is clean. No viruses, etc.

This is driving me crazy.... Any thoughts?

Helen

WindowsXP - 512/120 - SP 2

Byte

The below websites may or may not be of any help, but check them out.
Explorer.exe Process Uses Many CPU Cycles When Windows Is Idle
http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;EN-US;q317751

Description of the Dr. Watson for Windows (Drwtsn32.exe) Tool
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;308538
--
Some days you're the windshield,
some days you're the bug.

"Gaga6" wrote:

> My pc works like a charm, except in one area.
>
> When I go to control panel and click on something to check, I get a
> pop-up that Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and must close.
> Sorry for the Inconvenience...
>
> Then another pop-up from something called, Dr. Watson, saying that
> encountered a problem, etc. Then the pc freezes. I go to task manager
> and it shows that control panel has stopped. Once I end task, my pc is
> fine again after my desktop icons refresh.
>
> I can be on the pc for days at a time without any problems, until I go
> to control panel.
>
> I've done a disk cleanup, scanned with Ad-aware, spywareblaster,
> Norton's Internet Security, and everything is clean. No viruses, etc.
>
> This is driving me crazy.... Any thoughts?
>
> Helen
>
> WindowsXP - 512/120 - SP 2

My Windows 98SE machine has been doing about the same thing for years (no Dr.
Watson though). Checking for .cpl file conflicts did not resolve the issue for
me. It must be a genetic flaw with successive versions of Windows.

"Gaga6" <hel3ngaga6hwNOSPAM@optonline.net> wrote in message
> My pc works like a charm, except in one area.
>
> When I go to control panel and click on something to check, I get a
> pop-up that Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and must close.
> Sorry for the Inconvenience...
>
> Then another pop-up from something called, Dr. Watson, saying that
> encountered a problem, etc. Then the pc freezes. I go to task
> manager and it shows that control panel has stopped. Once I end
> task, my pc is fine again after my desktop icons refresh.
>
> I can be on the pc for days at a time without any problems, until I go
> to control panel.
>
> I've done a disk cleanup, scanned with Ad-aware, spywareblaster,
> Norton's Internet Security, and everything is clean. No viruses, etc.
>
> This is driving me crazy.... Any thoughts?
>
> Helen
>
> WindowsXP - 512/120 - SP 2

My daughter's machine running Windows 98 did the same and the Control
Panel wouldn't work at all. Eventually I reinstalled Windows, THEN did
a virus scan with Norton and also used a couple of freebie antispyware
programmes. They picked up a lot of unwelcome stuff and I removed them.
THEN I tried the Control Panel and it worked fine. If you follow this
advice do it inthe order I have suggested 'cos the first time I
reinstalled Windows I tried the Control Panel BEFORE running the scans.
It worked once and then reverted to the original error and I had to
start again! Remember to save My Docs and anything else you want to
keep before reinstalling Windows, just in case they disappear in the
new installation. Good luck, Jim :)

--
jimroberts

Other than that, my system works great. I don't have to go to Control panel
too often, so I don't think I'm ready to take the drastic step. I've
scanned with every known scanner around, and have lots of protection on the
pc, and everything is clean.

Thanks for the advice though. Will keep it handy, in case.

Helen

"jimroberts" <jimroberts.1revpo@pcbanter.net> wrote in message

> My daughter's machine running Windows 98 did the same and the Control
> Panel wouldn't work at all. Eventually I reinstalled Windows, THEN did
> a virus scan with Norton and also used a couple of freebie antispyware
> programmes. They picked up a lot of unwelcome stuff and I removed them.
> THEN I tried the Control Panel and it worked fine. If you follow this
> advice do it inthe order I have suggested 'cos the first time I
> reinstalled Windows I tried the Control Panel BEFORE running the scans.
> It worked once and then reverted to the original error and I had to
> start again! Remember to save My Docs and anything else you want to
> keep before reinstalling Windows, just in case they disappear in the
> new installation. Good luck, Jim :)
> Gaga6 Wrote:
>> My pc works like a charm, except in one area.
>>
>> When I go to control panel and click on something to check, I get a
>> pop-up that Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and must close.
>> Sorry for the Inconvenience...
>>
>> Then another pop-up from something called, Dr. Watson, saying that
>> encountered a problem, etc. Then the pc freezes. I go to task
>> manager
>> and it shows that control panel has stopped. Once I end task, my pc
>> is
>> fine again after my desktop icons refresh.
>>
>> I can be on the pc for days at a time without any problems, until I go
>> to control panel.
>>
>> I've done a disk cleanup, scanned with Ad-aware, spywareblaster,
>> Norton's Internet Security, and everything is clean. No viruses, etc.
>>
>> This is driving me crazy.... Any thoughts?
>>
>> Helen
>>
>> WindowsXP - 512/120 - SP 2
>

> --
> jimroberts

Nightowl

Distinguished
May 17, 2001

Gaga6 wrote on Wed, 29 Jun 2005:

>>> My pc works like a charm, except in one area.
>>>
>>> When I go to control panel and click on something to check, I get a
>>> pop-up that Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and must close.
>>> Sorry for the Inconvenience...
>>>
>>> Then another pop-up from something called, Dr. Watson, saying that
encountered a problem, etc. Then the pc freezes. I go to task manager
and it shows that control panel has stopped. Once I end task, my pc
>>> fine again after my desktop icons refresh.
>>>
>>> I can be on the pc for days at a time without any problems, until I go
>>> to control panel.
>>>
>>> I've done a disk cleanup, scanned with Ad-aware, spywareblaster,
>>> Norton's Internet Security, and everything is clean. No viruses, etc.
>>>
>>> This is driving me crazy.... Any thoughts?
>>>
>>> Helen
>>>
>>> WindowsXP - 512/120 - SP 2

Helen, it doesn't really sound to me like a virus or spyware problem.

Just out of interest, can you see what happens if you open some of the
Control Panel applets without opening Control Panel itself?

Start > Run then type one of these and click OK:

control desk.cpl
control main.cpl
control timedate.cpl
control firewall.cpl

If these open okay it seems likely the Control Panel itself is the
problem.

It probably would be a good idea to try Jim's suggestion and do a repair
install. It isn't really as drastic a step as you fear, all your
settings and files should be preserved (though of course it's sensible
to have a backup "just in case"). I just did it yesterday with no
problems.

--
Nightowl

TRENDING THREADS