Sign in with
Your question

Iphone tethinging as modem to router.

Last response: in Cell Phones & Smartphones
January 25, 2011 8:22:57 PM

I'm wondering if i use my iphone with usb tethering and get a female usb to male Ethernet adapter, plug my iPhone usb cable into my iphone and the other end into the usb adapter and plug it into the internet ethernet port on my router i could the my iPhone as a modem and power my routers internet?
January 27, 2011 8:24:48 PM

I can't even picture this setup, but no, it won't work. To use a cell phone for internet conection you need software to use it as a modem which the router does not have.
m
l
January 27, 2011 11:03:42 PM

i have the modem software (mi-wi or built in tethering from apple)
m
l
Related resources
January 30, 2011 10:47:00 PM

Quote:
i have the modem software (mi-wi or built in tethering from apple)

Even so, you can't hook that up to a router, you need to connect it to a computer.
m
l
Anonymous
January 31, 2011 9:41:07 AM

This topic has been moved from the section Networking to section Cell Phones & Smartphones by Grumpy9117
m
l
November 26, 2011 1:57:28 PM

I thought I would comment on this, even if it's a little dated.

I recently had the same issue, trying to set up a network at the cottage using my cell phone data plan/4g network as my WAN and then distribute that connection to multiple computers.

Yes, I went the route of hooking it up (tethered) to a computer and then sharing that connection via Windows 7 ICS using two NICs and dumping the shared NIC's feed into a hub via a crossover cable.

It worked fine, but the the problem is, you can't file share with the machine running ICS....along with numerous other issues that are presented with Windows ICS, notwithstanding DNS.

Then I decided to take a chance on this piece of gear: http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=asus+portable+...

It works perfectly and is the perfect solution for those who want to create a WAN and share an internet connection to multiple computers using their smart phone or iphone as a modem.

You create a wireless hotspot on your smartphone or iphone, set the router to the "Gateway" option which then sends the WAN feed to it's ethernet port. Connect the ethernet port to a hub....and you're off to the races. I've been using this for weeks now with no problems.

I get 14 megs down and about 4 megs up with the 4g connection - it's faster than my cable service in the city.

Regards,

The Todd Man
m
l
!