HP DV9700

Suddenly won't turn on. Changed Battery, Power supply attached, light around the plug comes on...press power button, no response. Hasn't been dropped.???
33 answers Last reply
More about dv9700
  1. Mine too. I had just downloaded 4 or 5 upgrades from Microsoft.
    It said it needed to reboot, I clicked OK, and it hasn't worked since.
    When I press the ON button, there is one small, blue light (ligthning bolt) on the front, left edge of the laptop that blinks 3 times. That's it.
  2. JW and Plowboy;
    The symptoms you describe may indicate a failure of the Nvidia graphics card (a known and increasing problem). CNET says: "Two ways that failures manifest themselves are not being able to start the computer and, of course, a blank screen. " among others. Here is a link to more on the Nvidia problem:
    http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/703/1028703/nvidia-g84-g86-bad
    Good luck, many others (including myself I fear) are in your position.
  3. Thanks Thunderbolt, I hope that helps plowboy. Mine was a problem fixed by unpluging, pulling the battery and holding the on switch for a minute. Putting it back together it just came right on...a little HP magic...JW
  4. jwcadle said:
    Thanks Thunderbolt, I hope that helps plowboy. Mine was a problem fixed by unpluging, pulling the battery and holding the on switch for a minute. Putting it back together it just came right on...a little HP magic...JW

jwcadle;
    Glad you got something worked out. Keep an eye open though, it is my understanding that if you have an Nvidia 8xxx series (or higher) graphics processor (and if you have a dv9700 you probably do) then you (and all of us who have one) are on borrowed time.
  5. Will keep it backed up...thanks, Jay
  6. Thunderbolt said:
    jwcadle;
    Glad you got something worked out. Keep an eye open though, it is my understanding that if you have an Nvidia 8xxx series (or higher) graphics processor (and if you have a dv9700 you probably do) then you (and all of us who have one) are on borrowed time.

Thanks for the replies and comments.
    It turned out to be the power transformer.
    I borrowed another one from a friend and my HP came back to life.
    Anyway, replacing the transformer worked.
    Again, thanks for you responses.
  7. NVIDIA publicly acknowledged a higher than normal failure rate for G84s and G86s graphics processors. My HP laptop, a dv9700 with the G8600M GS GPU died. It all started to go down hill when I began recording videos.
    Here is part of HP response:
    Ramiro : To resolve the issue, I recommend to install the BIOS update and then install the display drivers on
    LauraRami : So this is a known problem?
    Ramiro : It is not a known problem Laura. But it happened to many people.
    NOTE: BIOS update forces fan to run harder and longer to bandage the problem.
    NOTE: HP lied saying it was not known problem.
    Go to HPLIES.COM
    HP has extended warranty enhancement for a selective few models. This is unfair. They are honoring some but not all with same defective Nvidia GPU.
  8. My PC just went dead suddenly when using it and now there is no power. The AC light is on. I tried removing battery, reseating RAM, holding down power button for a full minute but no luck. The battery seemed fine before this so I suspect something more serious like motherboard failure. Any advice appreciated
  9. Hi Holdfast,

I have the same problem which you have. The laptop suddenly stopped. only the blue light where the adapter is switched in is working. Rest everything is numb stuck. Did you fix your problem. Is that a motherboard or a battery issue.
  10. Hello all,
    My HP 9720 just died a couple of weeks ago. I was using my laptop and I thought I heard a little "pop" and my laptop is now a doorstop. I called HP, I got a guy that barely knew english. He put me through all the steps: take out the battery and reinstall it, holding down the power button for one minute, holing down the F10 key for a minute, holding down the F11 key for a minute. Before all of this started, I told him it sounded like a motherboard failure. But I played his game to find out that my warranty expired a couple of months ago. To answer your question before me, I believe you have a motherboard problem. That's what the HP guy told me. All HP wanted to do, was to fill out their stupid questionaire. I told them that if they can't build a laptop that can run longer than 16 months, you need to go out of business! I also told them that this is not an isolated problem, it is widespred. A recall is in order and these laptops needs to be repaired. A class action I think would be in order. That will be the only thing that they will listen to.
    rmobr549
  11. Hi everyone. I recently started having issues with my HP DV9700. Power supply has the blue light when it's plugged in and when I press the power button, the laptop sounds like it is starting up, and the activity light blinks. Within a few seconds the activity light stops blinking, but the laptop stays on. I've left it running with the cooling mat attached for about 3 hrs and it doesn't do a thing. I called HP for help and the tech said they couldn't help diagnois the issue without me paying for tech support. The call lasted 20 minutes and the first 15 was the guy getting my name and info on where they can send me hp news and then the last 5 was trying to sign me up for "package plans that would allow him to assist me". Really?! I have a dv6000 that still works, but I am not buying another HP after this. I read the responses above and it sickened me to think that 1) hp is so greedy that they will not even help support their own products 2) that so many others were having the same issue 3) that I no longer trust HP products.
    I will shell out the money for a new mother board and see if that is the issue. But to sink money into this thing after that would be a waste. I could purchase a new laptop for some of the costs of replacement products for this now POS.
  12. I have a COMPAQ (V6000) and i am having the same promblem what do i need to do to get back working
  13. I have a hp pavilion DV9700. My computer turned off one day and a day later it turned back on. A week later it tuned off and stayed off, so i used the hp chat support. They said i had a motherboard problem after they brought me through troubleshooting. I ask the person if the cause could be the same for them staying off for a while. They say no and also say it should never turn back on. 3 days later it turns back on. Does anyone know the problem?
  14. Hi, i have a HP pavillion dv 9700.... around a month ago it was having problems starting up and now ... well exactly before all my uni work is due ... it dies...
    the screen is not working but everything else is ... i have now pluged it into a tv and everything works fine ... its just the screen
    i wanted to know if anyone has the same problem?! and if anyone has ANY idea what it can be and how i could fix it ... or how much itd cost??
    I called hp ... a guy who knew no english answered n was completely useless!! .... he told me to pay £15 for help .. i refused so he put down the phone ....
    I am so angry ... i had this laptop for about 16 months now ... is there an extended warranty at all???
    My friends can get a motherboard for around £70 but if i change it is everything going to work again?!
    thanks all!
  15. Plowboy said:
    Thanks for the replies and comments.
    It turned out to be the power transformer.
    I borrowed another one from a friend and my HP came back to life.
    Anyway, replacing the transformer worked.
    Again, thanks for you responses.

hello plowboy i need your help on the laptop problem you faced, i am facing the same.

A) Did your laptop showed any activity when power is connected and battery is removed?

B) The solution you achieved "power transformer" what is it, anything from these as HP mentioned
    1. Internal DC-DC converter
    2. Internal AC adapter

C) Did you replaced it or repaired it, if you replaced it how?

please respond to above questions as you know how bad it feels when your laptop turns dead.
  16. wow, this is terrible! i too have a hp dv9700 series laptop and we had overheating issues when we would watch videos (using the graphics card) the pc would shut down! we cleaned everything out and it worked ok for about 2 months, and suddenly in the middle of watching episodes online, not feeling hot at all, it shuts down, and wont turn back on...then the next day it powers on fine, and i go to safari web browser, check email, etc. and as soon as i open IExplorer, it shuts down and hasnt turned on since. i too called hp for support, and they said it was the motherboard. i'm sure it is the graphics card, but since its intergrated you have to replace it all. this is BS, that there are SO MANY people out there with the exact same problem!!! that says something! i think i may think twice before buying another HP laptop...
  17. btw, in case anyone wanted to see how to replace parts, i ran across this manual that for some reason i can't find for the dv9700 series, but it looks like it is virtually the same thing, it is for the dv9000 and dv9200 series...

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01311536.pdf
  18. Quote:
    Hi everyone. I recently started having issues with my HP DV9700. Power supply has the blue light when it's plugged in and when I press the power button, the laptop sounds like it is starting up, and the activity light blinks. Within a few seconds the activity light stops blinking, but the laptop stays on. I've left it running with the cooling mat attached for about 3 hrs and it doesn't do a thing. I called HP for help and the tech said they couldn't help diagnois the issue without me paying for tech support. The call lasted 20 minutes and the first 15 was the guy getting my name and info on where they can send me hp news and then the last 5 was trying to sign me up for "package plans that would allow him to assist me". Really?! I have a dv6000 that still works, but I am not buying another HP after this. I read the responses above and it sickened me to think that 1) hp is so greedy that they will not even help support their own products 2) that so many others were having the same issue 3) that I no longer trust HP products.
    I will shell out the money for a new mother board and see if that is the issue. But to sink money into this thing after that would be a waste. I could purchase a new laptop for some of the costs of replacement products for this now POS.
  19. Omit 1st query: I have a dv9700 and a cooler underneath it. Other day opened up computer from its carrying case and seemed to have been left on, and I put it away. Thought it shuts down when top closes, even though I always use the switch. I shut it down and started it back up and it ran fine for 2 hrs. Shut it down until next day, just sitting on my table, and it would just come on the screen for 3 secs and shut down. Had new power adapter because old one was broke, but I soldered it back together and it had been working fine. Used new adapter and no go. Took battery out, tried with power cord, no. Tried with just battery and it ran for 20 min and stopped even through battery life said 87%. Now it will not go at all, just on few secs on and off. Light is on where power cord plugs in, middle of 3 blue lites and lower left comes on when starting. Swapped out to old cord and no go......Gonna try the 30 sec hold the switch down with battery out and cord off and see what happens. 3 months ago sound went, dvd went and it would not go past 1st screen. Under warranty Best Buy took it back and after 3 different tries, hard drive, new dvd player and motherboard, it finally worked with the new boot up disk and files. Best Buy just did not have their GEEKS together. I wont go in to other mishaps they did. What a pain and now this.
  20. Has anyone been able to get a fix for this yet? I have an HP dv9700 and one day it was working fine, the next when I turned it on the fan spins and all lights come on for approx 1 second and then all shuts down again. I have tried removing the battery and holding the power button but didn't make a difference. It is no longer under warranty, but isn't quite 3 yrs old yet and shouldn't be having this much trouble especially seeing that so many people have the exact same issue. I saw something about the NVidea card being an issue? Please help if you can. I can't afford to get a new one and I practically live on my laptop. This really sucks.
  21. Hey, so about two weeks ago my DV9700 just turned off while checking my email and would not show any sign of life besides the light around the power plug. I feel comfortable with taking apart my DV9700 because I have done it a few time to clean out the fan/heat sink area. I ordered a new motherboard after spending a week looking at what could be wrong with it online using my PS3 (which sucked). I just tore apart everything and popped in the new motherboard and am hopping on here to tell you guys that it fixed it. A few words of advice knowing that it was the motherboard and probably the gpu. First off, if it heats up easily and is uncomfortable clean out the fan. Its a pain in the ass as you have to take out the motherboard, but its worth it. I would suggest not gaming or doing anything graphic intensive on this line of laptops as it is just asking for problems. IF you decide to replace the motherboard after it dies keep in mind you will need to pick up some new thermal compound. Just something basic is good, got it for a few dollars. HP also has a maintenance manual on their website which tells you how to take apart the whole thing. Oh, and I picked up my new motherboard on ebay for $150. First time I used ebay for anything, but it was a lot cheaper there. Just be careful and check the motherboard part number. I was out of warranty and I don't really ever like calling customer support so I took a chance guessing it was the motherboard and got lucky (if you consider $160 gone for no good reason lucky...) Wish you guys luck too.
  22. I also have an HP dv9700 that is doing exactly what everyone else is saying. I'm not a tech geek. I just want to check my email, play on FB, edit photos in PSE, and get on with my life. I can't get it to power up.

How does one tell discover the motherboard part number for an HP laptop??

And (I told you, I'm not a tech geek) -- if the motherboard is bad, and I can't power it back up, have I lost everything?!

thanks!
  23. Mine stopped coming on one fine day in the middle of a work project. I had just installed a bunch of "updates" and when it was done it shut off. I went to turn it back on and it just sat there doing nothing. The light was on at the cord but it did not respond to the power button.

I had a disk in the DVD drive, so I tried ejecting with the remote. This did not work, but when I hit the power button on the remote, it came to life. I think mine just has a faulty power switch, but thought some of you might have the same problem. Might try this work around.

I just hope the battery doesn't go bad in the remote before I get my new computer and transfer all my files!
  24. I too have same issue with HP DV 9700.
    I have a refurbished motherboard on the way $188 US dollars.
    I wil install soon and update.
  25. I installed the refurbished motherboard and the HP DV 9700 works,
    Vista had issues of course due to different hardware.
    I loaded Windows 7 Pro and is working again.

Good luck.
  26. My little sister had this same issue. I spent over an hour on the phone with the highest level of support i could get to and finally talked them into fixing the problem for "Cost" which was still over $250 even though all of the other models with the same problem had it fixed for free under the expanded warranty.

That was Feb 2010. Guess what...it happened again last weekend with the "Fixed" part that was "Fixed" by HP. Oh, and the new part was only under warranty for 90 days so for a mere $310 they will fix it again.

We will be avoiding all HP products in my company from here on out. Which sucks because we have about 50 of their printers that I'm going to be swapping out. Ugh.
  27. thedillon6 said:
    I also have an HP dv9700 that is doing exactly what everyone else is saying. I'm not a tech geek. I just want to check my email, play on FB, edit photos in PSE, and get on with my life. I can't get it to power up.

How does one tell discover the motherboard part number for an HP laptop??

And (I told you, I'm not a tech geek) -- if the motherboard is bad, and I can't power it back up, have I lost everything?!

thanks!

In most cases your hard drive that stores your programs and files is usually in good shape.

Skip
  28. For anyone that is interested. Here is the maintenance and service manual for the dv9700. I'm about to replace my motherboard. I've already taken it apart once, to check all the connections, still no joy.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01951704.pdf
  29. (i'm new here so forgive me if i've overlooked any answers to my questions, and/or not followed protocols...i'll do better next time. :))

I've had my HP dv9700 for two yrs now and until two months ago i've gotten excellent performance out of it. Not now of course, since i've been having the very same battery problems described by everyone here.

Has anyone had luck w/simply getting a new power cord? My light flickers on and off too and right now I've got it set PERFECTLY but god forbid i nudge my desk...

I'd like to avoid buying a refurbished mobo if i can---I'm currently back in school and my budget is very limited....

Two days ago to my utter SHOCK, i noticed that my battery power was back up @ 100%. (after two months of "0% plugged in not charging") My only guess is that the previous day i'd taken the battery out to see if the serial#/battery# qualified for the recall program. (it did not.) Needless to say, i had one awesome afternoon using my laptop w/out having it plugged in, but now, of course.....it's not charging again.

Also, lastly, has anyone here been eligible for recall replacement? If so, did it fix the prob permanently?

Thanks! And i'm looking forward to your responses. :)
  30. I have the same frickin problem,,, and HP directs me to nvidiasettlment.com after fooling around with them two weeks ago,,,
    Today they Direct me to
    http://www.nvidiasettlement.com

and Now I find out the Deadline was a week ago to file for the Class
    March 14th, -

Why they cant stand behind their Products Ill never Know ..
    I'LL never buy or Recommend another HP PRODUCT again , in my Office or Small business development again, so Help as Long as I live..

Gary Tremble
    Del Mar CA
  31. jcesp said:
    I have the same frickin problem,,, and HP directs me to nvidiasettlment.com after fooling around with them two weeks ago,,,
    Today they Direct me to

March 14th, -

I'LL never buy or Recommend another HP PRODUCT again , in my Office or Small business development again, so Help as Long as I live..

Gary Tremble
    Del Mar CA

Actually, the case that was settled (with the March 14, 2011 claim submission deadline) was only for the models that were affected by the NVIDIA chip.

If your laptop is experiencing the power adapter issue, that is a totally separate claim and is now under appeal scheduled for a hearing in Nov, 2011. Here's the website where you can read the claim and appeals: http://www.sfmslaw.com/class-action-lawsuits/cases.php?id=300

Hope this helps!
  32. jcesp said:
    I have the same frickin problem,,, and HP directs me to nvidiasettlment.com after fooling around with them two weeks ago,,,
    Today they Direct me to

March 14th, -

Gary Tremble
    Del Mar CA

Actually, the case that was settled (with the March 14, 2011 claim submission deadline) was only for the models that were affected by the NVIDIA chip.

If your laptop is experiencing the power adapter issue, that is a totally separate claim and is now under appeal scheduled for a hearing in Nov, 2011. Here's the website where you can read the claim and appeals: http://www.sfmslaw.com/class-action-lawsuits/cases.php?id=300

Hope this helps!
  33. jcesp said:
    Today they Direct me to

March 14th, -

Gary Tremble
    Del Mar CA

Hope this helps!
Ask a new question

Read More

Battery Light Power Supplies Hewlett Packard Laptops