New to GURPS and Traveller

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.gurps (More info?)

I am new to GURPS. So I wanted to get advice from you gurp players.

In order to get started, what books do I need to get. Also, I was
wanted to play Traveller. If you have some experience with the
Traveller line of Gurps products, what do I need to get to run a
campaign as a GM.

The reason I ask is because I got the role playing bug again. Traveller
was my favorite. I see that GURPS now produce Traveller related
products. So, I thought that the GURPS way would be the best.
Especially because it is a flexible game system that lets one play
other games besides Traveller.

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.gurps (More info?)

Easyest way to get started is to download gurps lite from e-23 since
it's free. But if you're going to GM I'd suggest you get 4th ed
Chariacters and Campaigns, then for travler you either have to wait for
Interstelar Wars or get Gurps Traveller and Gurps Update from e-23 and
update the races and gear. Everything else is nice to get eventualy
but not necesary to start out.

On 2005-06-07, raven@westnet.poe.com <raven@westnet.poe.com> wrote:
[snip]
> Hmm, wasn't Traveller a PBG (Powered By GUPRS) product? That means that
> the basic book includes a tailored copy of GURPS-lite (3e) and is
> everything you need to start playing.

Nope. GURPS Traveller was a worldbook, it wasn't a Powered by GURPS
book. But if you want, you can get GURPS Lite, for 3rd or 4th Editions,
as well as GURPS Update if you're getting 4th, and go for it.

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.gurps (More info?)

On 7 Jun 2005 11:04:44 -0700, richmarin@earthlink.net drained his
beer, leaned back in the rec.games.frp.gurps beanbag and drunkenly
proclaimed the following

>I am new to GURPS. So I wanted to get advice from you gurp players.
>
>In order to get started, what books do I need to get. Also, I was
>wanted to play Traveller. If you have some experience with the
>Traveller line of Gurps products, what do I need to get to run a
>campaign as a GM.
>
>The reason I ask is because I got the role playing bug again. Traveller
>was my favorite. I see that GURPS now produce Traveller related
>products. So, I thought that the GURPS way would be the best.
>Especially because it is a flexible game system that lets one play
>other games besides Traveller.

Well, all the current GT books are for 3rd edition. GT: Interstellar
Wars will be out later this year, and is set in the days of the Terran
Confederation v. the Vilani Imperium.

But converting 3rd ed books isn't that difficult, so here are my
recommendations for the "essentials"

GURPS Traveller. Even if you're familiar with the setting, this is a
nice "all-in-one" book for the Third Imperium.

First In: Covers the Scouts and has wonderfully detailed design rules
for star systems.

The Alien books (six of them so far)

Rim of Fire (The Solomani Rim) Very good sector book. We also have
"Behind the Claw" for the Spinward Marches, but that is less usable.

Far Trader: merchant adventures and a detailed trade system.

and because I need the money...

Ground Forces, a detailed look at the Imperial Army and Marines.

The website

http://www.sjgames.com/gurps/traveller/

Has a complete product listing.
--

Douglas E. Berry Do the OBVIOUS thing to send e-mail
Atheist #2147, Atheist Vet #5

"Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as
when they do it from religious conviction."
Blaise Pascal (1623-1662), Pense'es, #894.

TRENDING THREADS