Alternate Probability System (inspired by GULLIVER and ESC..

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.gurps (More info?)

I've been thinking about something J. Verkuilen said about probability
distributions: that we're too addicted to roll-n-dice-and-sum, which
leads to normal distributions, which are far from universal in real
life. So I started thinking about negative binomial distributions,
which reminded me...

The automatic success at 17+/automatic success at 4- mechanic has
always bugged me. It's worse where I originally came from in AD&D2,
where both a 10th level fighter (THAC0 11) using a +3 longbow (+3 to
hit) at short range in broad daylight and a drunk (-2 to hit) 0-level
beggar (THAC0 20) using a staff sling at long range (-4) which he is
not proficient with(-4) in complete darkness (-4) have the exact same
chance to hit a great wyrm shadow dragon (AC -12)--the fighter needs a
20 or better, the beggar needs a 46(!), but since a natural 20 always
hits they both hit 5% of the time, which if realistic for the fighter
is ridiculously often for the beggar. GURPS has a more normal
distribution, and the auto-success comes only 2% of the time so it's
easier to sweep it under the rug, but the real problem IMO is that at
some point bonuses/penalties become irrelevant because they "fall off
the edge of the dice," so to speak. I realize that this is to keep some
drama in the game, but there must be a better way to deal with this.

GULLIVER has a suggestion about using "Long Rounds" to deal with
too-high defenses. That is, if everybody parries on 17+, abstract out
the combat round to length 2^n and roll dice at -n to defense rolls,
once for each extended round instead. That is, you can have one
attack/defense response per second with parry at 17, which is roughly
equivalent to one attack/defense once every 2 seconds w/ parry 16, or
one attack/defense per minute at parry 11. (Effectively, you have a
~60% chance of parrying everything that minute, and a ~40% chance of
letting one through.) ESCARGO talks in a somewhat-similar way about
amalgamating skills at a point-cost penalty, so a x1.5 cost-multiplier
either buys you knowledge of x1.5 as much knowledge or a +1 to skill,
so depth and breadth trade off. Okay, so here's my proposal:

Granular Skill Checks:

On any skill roll (/ability roll?), the GM/player can either roll it
normally OR take one or more -4 modifiers for "granularity's sake." For
each modifier so taken, one extra skill attempt is made. A success on
ANY attempt means overall skill success. Penalties may not take skill
below 12. A 17+ still means auto-failure.

Example A: driving to work in a small town (Driving-11, routine +5) can
be considered either as a single monolithic skill roll where failure
results in e.g. a minor accident, or a number of routine maneuvers
where each failure brings you closer to danger. E.g. one failed roll
means you forgot to look both ways at the stop sign, but a success
means you still managed to avoid the car coming the other way once you
did notice it. Roll once at 16 (~98% chance of success) or twice at 12
(91% chance of success). (Granular mods turns out to only be beneficial
at 18+ skill level.)

[AFB, so the next modifiers are guesstimates]
Example B: For some bizarre reason, Dead-Eye Dai (Rifles-24) is aiming
his custom-made sniper rifle (Acc 6+3) at a 1-foot-square practice
target (SZ -3) across the his room (30', -4). He needs a 26 or better
to hit. He could choose to roll once (2% chance of 17+ failure) or pay
full attention and roll 3 times at an extra -8. He would need to roll
17/18 three times in a row to miss this target, which he would do
roughly 8 times in a million tries. That seems pretty reasonable.
Remember, multiple skill rolls must be predeclared if they are to be
used (it's not a Luck advantage).

I haven't figured out how to make the math work out right for long-shot
successes like the aforementioned fighter/beggar. I'm also unsure
whether a Luck use should apply to one roll or the whole series of
granular rolls. Finally, I'm not sure how critical successes work into
this--if any roll is a critical success they all are? Same for critical
failures?

Is there anyone else who thinks this (extreme cumulative
penalties/bonuses) is an issue worth dealing with?

Max Wilson
nee Hemlock

Red Beard wrote:
> I have no idea if such a system would work at all, but it would
> certainly be easier to use if it were automated, as in a computer
> game. Or would that warrant even more complicated calculations?

I can't imagine any kind of complication that would be beneficial. All
we're doing is saying that the normal distribution is actually a
standin for a negative binomial distribution, and (optionally) allowing
people to break it back down to a negative binomial. As GULLIVER points
out, rules like this are not always intended to be _used_ so much as
known. For instance, using the granularity rules you can figure out
that an effective skill of 17 fails once every 50 tries, 18 fails once
in 100, 19 once in 400, 20 once in 1000, etc. A GM who wants to can use
this to figure out reasonable cutoffs, e.g.:

* What does it mean for a task to be "routine"? When there is
essentially no chance of failure, or at least not enough to bother
rolling. Now that can be quantified as an effective skill level, and I
as a GM can decide that "any task which fails less than 0.1% of the
time automatically succeeds." Without granularity mods I'd have to just
pick some arbitrary cutoff point when it is so easy as to need no
rolling. Note that the typical way to do this is by cutting off at a
task difficulty (+10 in GURPS 4e) as opposed to an effective skill
level, which is counterintuitive.

* How easy is a given task? If normal people should only have
accidents/get tickets once every 2 years or so, "routine driving"
should boost normal people up to an effective skill level of 20 or so.
Thus if most people have Driving-10, "driving to work" should be a +10
difficulty task, and if I've been using a +4 I'm pretty sure I've been
off. If I think most people are going off their default I'd bump the
modifier up to +14 to reflect the reality that people *still* get in
accidents only once every 2 years. If I think this is absurdly high, I
check my judgment and either decide that most people DO know Driving
above default, or that the penalties for a failed Driving roll are too
severe.

T-bone in GULLIVER talks some about the pleasure of having "uber
rules," both for its own sake and as a check on your own judgments, and
sometimes for use in play. Granularity mods should be viewed in the
same light.

Max Wilson

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.gurps (More info?)

On 17 Jun 2005 17:37:42 -0700, "Max Wilson" <wilson.max@gmail.com>
wrote:

>Is there anyone else who thinks this (extreme cumulative
>penalties/bonuses) is an issue worth dealing with?

I have no idea if such a system would work at all, but it would
certainly be easier to use if it were automated, as in a computer
game. Or would that warrant even more complicated calculations?

-- Matt Jozwiak

Max Wilson wrote:
> Red Beard wrote:
>
>>I have no idea if such a system would work at all, but it would
>>certainly be easier to use if it were automated, as in a computer
>>game. Or would that warrant even more complicated calculations?
>

> I can't imagine any kind of complication that would be beneficial. All
> we're doing is saying that the normal distribution is actually a
> standin for a negative binomial distribution, and (optionally) allowing
> people to break it back down to a negative binomial. As GULLIVER points
> out, rules like this are not always intended to be _used_ so much as
> known. For instance, using the granularity rules you can figure out
> that an effective skill of 17 fails once every 50 tries, 18 fails once
> in 100, 19 once in 400, 20 once in 1000, etc. A GM who wants to can use
> this to figure out reasonable cutoffs, e.g.:
>
> * What does it mean for a task to be "routine"? When there is
> essentially no chance of failure, or at least not enough to bother
> rolling. Now that can be quantified as an effective skill level, and I
> as a GM can decide that "any task which fails less than 0.1% of the
> time automatically succeeds." Without granularity mods I'd have to just
> pick some arbitrary cutoff point when it is so easy as to need no
> rolling. Note that the typical way to do this is by cutting off at a
> task difficulty (+10 in GURPS 4e) as opposed to an effective skill
> level, which is counterintuitive.
>
> * How easy is a given task? If normal people should only have
> accidents/get tickets once every 2 years or so, "routine driving"
> should boost normal people up to an effective skill level of 20 or so.
> Thus if most people have Driving-10, "driving to work" should be a +10
> difficulty task, and if I've been using a +4 I'm pretty sure I've been
> off. If I think most people are going off their default I'd bump the
> modifier up to +14 to reflect the reality that people *still* get in
> accidents only once every 2 years. If I think this is absurdly high, I
> check my judgment and either decide that most people DO know Driving
> above default, or that the penalties for a failed Driving roll are too
> severe.

Another option is to allow a failure at a "routine" task to have a save.
Thus if a person failed a driving roll on the way to work it might
mean that they forgot to stop for a stop sign. If they failed the save
they were spotted by a cop and ticketed or had a minor accident. A
critical failure meant they were in a serious accident. Otherwise they
managed to avoid any problems.

Michael W. Ryder wrote:
> Another option is to allow a failure at a "routine" task to have a save.
> Thus if a person failed a driving roll on the way to work it might
> mean that they forgot to stop for a stop sign. If they failed the save
> they were spotted by a cop and ticketed or had a minor accident. A
> critical failure meant they were in a serious accident. Otherwise they
> managed to avoid any problems.

Yeah, not a bad idea.

The "save" doesn't necessarily need to be ability-based. Someone in
another thread was talking about the combination of chance and skill;
it could be, say, that "failing a driving roll on I-15 has a 5% chance
of putting you in a dangerous situation, requiring both you and the
other driver to roll vs. Driving-2. If both fail, you get a crash. If
one of you succeeds, he manages to pull out of harm's way." The random
chance element of 5% is independent of anyone's skill rolls.

Max Wilson