Sign in with
Your question

Brand new Dell with Windows 7, wont let me install my Microsoft office 2007

Last response: in Windows 7
August 29, 2012 2:22:37 PM

Hello,
I get D:/ is not a Win32 application. There is no "run as adminstrator"option, I can't change compatibility mode because it only brings up a list of already installed programs, I bought it retail and have installed it on my computer, my kids computers, etc., no limit on installations.. If I try autoplay I can feel the disc spinning but it never starts to load. I really need it for work as I work from home and it is a requirement.
August 29, 2012 2:23:19 PM

Ronda W said:
Hello,
I get D:/ is not a Win32 application. There is no "run as adminstrator"option, I can't change compatibility mode because it only brings up a list of already installed programs, I bought it retail and have installed it on my computer, my kids computers, etc., no limit on installations.. If I try autoplay I can feel the disc spinning but it never starts to load. I really need it for work as I work from home and it is a requirement.

PS, this is Microsoft Office 2007 Professional, if that matters...
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
August 29, 2012 2:36:03 PM

Did the computer come with a Trial version of office? If so i would remove that version reboot and try the install again.
m
l
Related resources
August 29, 2012 2:40:20 PM

Yes, it came with 2010 trial version and I removed that and still nothing. It will eventually open a window with autoplay.exe option with an open and view files option, I've tried the autoplay, it just freezes, and if I view files and try Install, it says not a Win32 application..
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
August 29, 2012 2:43:42 PM

Have you tryed double clicking the "setup" file?
m
l
August 29, 2012 2:56:55 PM

Yes, several times, though most of the time it wont even let me as far as seeing the files to be able to click on them. I've been trying this for 2 solid days. LOL
m
l
August 29, 2012 3:22:02 PM

...it just freezes, and if I view files and try Install, it says not a Win32 application...

The disc is scratched or dirty ? y/n?
IF NOT
seems like a faulty cd drive, try a completely different program disc or DVD...working now? y/n?
IF NOT
Put the office disc back in the other computer that installed from the disc correctly and copy ALL office disc install files it to a usb drive.

Create a new folder on Desktop.

Copy all the files off the usb to that new folder you made on the Desktop.

when done copying, run "setup.exe" from the Desktop - NewFolder

If this doent work, something is really wrong........................................PS are you running Microsoft Windows? Not linux or apple ?,
m
l
August 29, 2012 3:35:31 PM

No, not dirty or scratched, and brand new puter with Windows 7. I will try saving it to a USB drive and see if that works. I can run other CDs. I've been trying to research "not a Win32 application" but no idea what this error means.
m
l
August 29, 2012 3:45:24 PM

I really appreciate your time!
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
August 29, 2012 4:23:57 PM

Ronda W said:
No, not dirty or scratched, and brand new puter with Windows 7. I will try saving it to a USB drive and see if that works. I can run other CDs. I've been trying to research "not a Win32 application" but no idea what this error means.

Normally that means you are clicking on the wrong file --- the file for installing needs to be an .exe file such as Setup.exe or Install.exe or Autorun.exe --- if you click on another filetype like .doc or .txt (or most likely Autorun.inf in this case which is an information file not an install program) the system does not see them as programs (since they are not) and will give you that error -- So that said make sure you are running the proper file (IIRC setup.exe for office) from the disk.

Also you say you removed the trial version but how ? (ie. did you use the add\remove programs or manually delete) - chances are if the trial version is for a newer version than what you are trying to install it could cause problems installing the older program unless it is removed properly.
m
l
August 29, 2012 5:33:02 PM

Since you are having so much problems with the CD media, try downloading Microsoft's downloadable installation file at:
http://msft-dnl.digitalrivercontent.net/msoffice/pub/X1...

Just run the downloaded program (X12-30196.EXE) and enter your existing product key to install Office 2007 Professional.
m
l
August 29, 2012 5:38:10 PM

I am clicking on the autorun.exe, there is one of each. I used add/remove programs to remove the 2010 trial version. I was told just now this "not a Win32 application" error means my new puter is a 32 bit and microsoft office 2007 is 64 bit and I won't be able to load it? Anyone know if that is true?
m
l
August 29, 2012 6:03:55 PM

ashmonke said:
Since you are having so much problems with the CD media, try downloading Microsoft's downloadable installation file at:
http://msft-dnl.digitalrivercontent.net/msoffice/pub/X1...

Just run the downloaded program (X12-30196.EXE) and enter your existing product key to install Office 2007 Professional.

I tried this last night, it keeps telling me my product key is wrong.
m
l
a c 209 $ Windows 7
August 29, 2012 6:11:36 PM

Where did you buy this unlimited install office 2007 professional?
m
l
August 29, 2012 6:24:35 PM

Office depot or Best Buy, prob Office Depot. It was retail, I paid full price, sealed in the package. It is the full version, not the upgrade. I've added it to 2 previous laptops, my sons' (3 of them) laptops, my daughter's laptop, a desktop, etc. I've never had a problem and I keep the discs clean and safely stored in the original hard plastic box with all the paperwork. It will try to load on every computer in the house still except this brand new out of the box Dell Inspiron Switch i17R - 1737sLV with Windows Home Premium and it is making me absolutely crazy!
m
l
!