This version of windows (03 Server) can't be installed on ..

I am using windows XP - I am installing Windows Server because it is required
for other software My PC seems to meet the hardware requirements- I have
created a new partition....but I keep getting this message when I try to
install Windows Server 2003

'This version of windows cannot be installed on this machine'

My PC is not part of a network is this the problem?

Thanks

Mike

Mike
11 answers Last reply
More about this version windows server installed

    Mike;
    You can not upgrade Windows XP to Windows Server 2003.
    You will need to perform a Clean Installation either on the same partition
    losing all data or on another partition.
    You should ask further questions in the server newsgroups:
    http://aumha.org/nntp.htm

    --
    Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

    "Mike, Liverpool" <MikeLiverpool@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I am using windows XP - I am installing Windows Server because it is
    >required
    > for other software My PC seems to meet the hardware requirements- I have
    > created a new partition....but I keep getting this message when I try to
    > install Windows Server 2003
    >
    > 'This version of windows cannot be installed on this machine'
    >
    > My PC is not part of a network is this the problem?

    > Thanks
    >
    > Mike

    > Mike

    You have to boot from the CD. Open your BIOS and set
    the CD Drive as the first bootable device.

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "Mike, Liverpool" wrote:

    | I am using windows XP - I am installing Windows Server because it is required
    | for other software My PC seems to meet the hardware requirements- I have
    | created a new partition....but I keep getting this message when I try to
    | install Windows Server 2003
    |
    | 'This version of windows cannot be installed on this machine'
    |
    | My PC is not part of a network is this the problem?
    |
    | Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    |
    | Thanks
    |
    | Mike
    |
    | Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    |
    | Mike

    On a Mac?

    Mike, Liverpool wrote:
    > I am using windows XP - I am installing Windows Server because it is
    > required for other software My PC seems to meet the hardware
    > requirements- I have created a new partition....but I keep getting this
    > message when I try to install Windows Server 2003
    >
    > 'This version of windows cannot be installed on this machine'
    >
    > My PC is not part of a network is this the problem?

    > Thanks
    >
    > Mike

    > Mike

    PA Bear

    Thanks for you response

    Further information

    I am on a PC with WindowsXP on the c drive
    I am trying to install it on a partition
    The software is the trial version downladed from the MS site i.e. not on a cd

    Mike

    "PA Bear" wrote:

    > On a Mac?
    >
    > Mike, Liverpool wrote:
    > > I am using windows XP - I am installing Windows Server because it is
    > > required for other software My PC seems to meet the hardware
    > > requirements- I have created a new partition....but I keep getting this
    > > message when I try to install Windows Server 2003
    > >
    > > 'This version of windows cannot be installed on this machine'
    > >
    > > My PC is not part of a network is this the problem?
    > >
    > > Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > >
    > > Mike
    > >
    > > Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    > >
    > > Mike

    Carey Frisch

    "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

    > You have to boot from the CD. Open your BIOS and set
    > the CD Drive as the first bootable device.
    >
    > --
    > Carey Frisch
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP - Shell/User
    > Microsoft Newsgroups

    > "Mike, Liverpool" wrote:
    >
    > | I am using windows XP - I am installing Windows Server because it is required
    > | for other software My PC seems to meet the hardware requirements- I have
    > | created a new partition....but I keep getting this message when I try to
    > | install Windows Server 2003
    > |
    > | 'This version of windows cannot be installed on this machine'
    > |
    > | My PC is not part of a network is this the problem?
    > |
    > | Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    > |
    > | Thanks
    > |
    > | Mike
    > |
    > | Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    > |
    > | Mike

    Jupiter Jones

    Thanks for your response

    Mike wrote:

    > Jupiter Jones
    >
    > Thanks for your response
    >

    > Further information
    >
    > I am on a PC with WindowsXP on the c drive
    > I am trying to install it on a partition
    > The software is the trial version downladed from the MS site i.e. not on a cd
    >
    > Mike

    The download is an ISO file. Burn it to CDR.

    Steve

    > "Jupiter Jones [MVP]" wrote:
    >

    >>Mike;
    >>You can not upgrade Windows XP to Windows Server 2003.
    >>You will need to perform a Clean Installation either on the same partition
    >>losing all data or on another partition.
    >>You should ask further questions in the server newsgroups:
    >>http://aumha.org/nntp.htm
    >>
    >>--
    >>Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    >>http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
    >>http://www.dts-l.org
    >>

    >>"Mike, Liverpool" <MikeLiverpool@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>I am using windows XP - I am installing Windows Server because it is
    >>>required
    >>>for other software My PC seems to meet the hardware requirements- I have
    >>>created a new partition....but I keep getting this message when I try to
    >>>install Windows Server 2003
    >>>
    >>>'This version of windows cannot be installed on this machine'
    >>>
    >>>My PC is not part of a network is this the problem?
    >>>
    >>>Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    >>>
    >>>Thanks
    >>>
    >>>Mike
    >>>
    >>>Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    >>>
    >>>Mike

    Short for machine

    --
    George Hester
    _______________________________
    > On a Mac?
    >
    > Mike, Liverpool wrote:
    > > I am using windows XP - I am installing Windows Server because it is
    > > required for other software My PC seems to meet the hardware
    > > requirements- I have created a new partition....but I keep getting this
    > > message when I try to install Windows Server 2003
    > >
    > > 'This version of windows cannot be installed on this machine'
    > >
    > > My PC is not part of a network is this the problem?
    > >
    > > Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > >
    > > Mike
    > >
    > > Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    > >
    > > Mike

    But it should ask if he wants to overwrite it.

    --
    George Hester
    _______________________________
    > Mike;
    > You can not upgrade Windows XP to Windows Server 2003.
    > You will need to perform a Clean Installation either on the same partition
    > losing all data or on another partition.
    > You should ask further questions in the server newsgroups:
    > http://aumha.org/nntp.htm
    >
    > --
    > Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    > http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
    > http://www.dts-l.org
    >

    > "Mike, Liverpool" <MikeLiverpool@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message
    > >I am using windows XP - I am installing Windows Server because it is
    > >required
    > > for other software My PC seems to meet the hardware requirements- I have
    > > created a new partition....but I keep getting this message when I try to
    > > install Windows Server 2003
    > >
    > > 'This version of windows cannot be installed on this machine'
    > >
    > > My PC is not part of a network is this the problem?
    > >
    > > Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > >
    > > Mike
    > >
    > > Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    > >
    > > Mike

    Or extract the ISO to disk with ISO Buster.

    --
    George Hester
    _______________________________

    George Hester wrote:

    > Or extract the ISO to disk with ISO Buster.
    >
    > --
    > George Hester

    True.

    Steve

    > _______________________________
    > "Steve N." <Steve_N@nunya.biz.nes> wrote in message
    >
    >>Mike wrote:
    >>

    >>>Jupiter Jones
    >>>
    >>>Thanks for your response
    >>>

    >>>Further information
    >>>
    >>>I am on a PC with WindowsXP on the c drive
    >>>I am trying to install it on a partition
    >>>The software is the trial version downladed from the MS site i.e. not on
    >
    > a cd
    >
    >>>Mike
    >>
    >>The download is an ISO file. Burn it to CDR.
    >>
    >>Steve

    > partition

    > message

    > have