This version of windows (03 Server) can't be installed on ..

I am using windows XP - I am installing Windows Server because it is required
for other software My PC seems to meet the hardware requirements- I have
created a new partition....but I keep getting this message when I try to
install Windows Server 2003

'This version of windows cannot be installed on this machine'

My PC is not part of a network is this the problem?

Thanks

Mike

Mike

Mike;
You can not upgrade Windows XP to Windows Server 2003.
You will need to perform a Clean Installation either on the same partition
losing all data or on another partition.
You should ask further questions in the server newsgroups:
http://aumha.org/nntp.htm

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

"Mike, Liverpool" <MikeLiverpool@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am using windows XP - I am installing Windows Server because it is
>required
> for other software My PC seems to meet the hardware requirements- I have
> created a new partition....but I keep getting this message when I try to
> install Windows Server 2003
>
> 'This version of windows cannot be installed on this machine'
>
> My PC is not part of a network is this the problem?

> Thanks
>
> Mike

> Mike

You have to boot from the CD. Open your BIOS and set
the CD Drive as the first bootable device.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Mike, Liverpool" wrote:

| I am using windows XP - I am installing Windows Server because it is required
| for other software My PC seems to meet the hardware requirements- I have
| created a new partition....but I keep getting this message when I try to
| install Windows Server 2003
|
| 'This version of windows cannot be installed on this machine'
|
| My PC is not part of a network is this the problem?
|
| Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
|
| Thanks
|
| Mike
|
| Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
|
| Mike

On a Mac?

Mike, Liverpool wrote:
> I am using windows XP - I am installing Windows Server because it is
> required for other software My PC seems to meet the hardware
> requirements- I have created a new partition....but I keep getting this
> message when I try to install Windows Server 2003
>
> 'This version of windows cannot be installed on this machine'
>
> My PC is not part of a network is this the problem?

> Thanks
>
> Mike

> Mike

PA Bear

Thanks for you response

Further information

I am on a PC with WindowsXP on the c drive
I am trying to install it on a partition
The software is the trial version downladed from the MS site i.e. not on a cd

Mike

"PA Bear" wrote:

> On a Mac?
>
> Mike, Liverpool wrote:
> > I am using windows XP - I am installing Windows Server because it is
> > required for other software My PC seems to meet the hardware
> > requirements- I have created a new partition....but I keep getting this
> > message when I try to install Windows Server 2003
> >
> > 'This version of windows cannot be installed on this machine'
> >
> > My PC is not part of a network is this the problem?
> >
> > Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Mike
> >
> > Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
> >
> > Mike

Carey Frisch

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> You have to boot from the CD. Open your BIOS and set
> the CD Drive as the first bootable device.
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

> "Mike, Liverpool" wrote:
>
> | I am using windows XP - I am installing Windows Server because it is required
> | for other software My PC seems to meet the hardware requirements- I have
> | created a new partition....but I keep getting this message when I try to
> | install Windows Server 2003
> |
> | 'This version of windows cannot be installed on this machine'
> |
> | My PC is not part of a network is this the problem?
> |
> | Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
> |
> | Thanks
> |
> | Mike
> |
> | Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
> |
> | Mike

Jupiter Jones

Thanks for your response

Mike wrote:

> Jupiter Jones
>
> Thanks for your response
>

> Further information
>
> I am on a PC with WindowsXP on the c drive
> I am trying to install it on a partition
> The software is the trial version downladed from the MS site i.e. not on a cd
>
> Mike

The download is an ISO file. Burn it to CDR.

Steve

> "Jupiter Jones [MVP]" wrote:
>

>>Mike;
>>You can not upgrade Windows XP to Windows Server 2003.
>>You will need to perform a Clean Installation either on the same partition
>>losing all data or on another partition.
>>You should ask further questions in the server newsgroups:
>>http://aumha.org/nntp.htm
>>
>>--
>>Jupiter Jones [MVP]
>>http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
>>http://www.dts-l.org
>>

>>"Mike, Liverpool" <MikeLiverpool@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>I am using windows XP - I am installing Windows Server because it is
>>>required
>>>for other software My PC seems to meet the hardware requirements- I have
>>>created a new partition....but I keep getting this message when I try to
>>>install Windows Server 2003
>>>
>>>'This version of windows cannot be installed on this machine'
>>>
>>>My PC is not part of a network is this the problem?
>>>
>>>Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
>>>
>>>Thanks
>>>
>>>Mike
>>>
>>>Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
>>>
>>>Mike

Short for machine

--
George Hester
_______________________________
> On a Mac?
>
> Mike, Liverpool wrote:
> > I am using windows XP - I am installing Windows Server because it is
> > required for other software My PC seems to meet the hardware
> > requirements- I have created a new partition....but I keep getting this
> > message when I try to install Windows Server 2003
> >
> > 'This version of windows cannot be installed on this machine'
> >
> > My PC is not part of a network is this the problem?
> >
> > Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Mike
> >
> > Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
> >
> > Mike

But it should ask if he wants to overwrite it.

--
George Hester
_______________________________
> Mike;
> You can not upgrade Windows XP to Windows Server 2003.
> You will need to perform a Clean Installation either on the same partition
> losing all data or on another partition.
> You should ask further questions in the server newsgroups:
> http://aumha.org/nntp.htm
>
> --
> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
> http://www.dts-l.org
>

> "Mike, Liverpool" <MikeLiverpool@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message
> >I am using windows XP - I am installing Windows Server because it is
> >required
> > for other software My PC seems to meet the hardware requirements- I have
> > created a new partition....but I keep getting this message when I try to
> > install Windows Server 2003
> >
> > 'This version of windows cannot be installed on this machine'
> >
> > My PC is not part of a network is this the problem?
> >
> > Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Mike
> >
> > Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
> >
> > Mike

Or extract the ISO to disk with ISO Buster.

--
George Hester

George Hester wrote:

> Or extract the ISO to disk with ISO Buster.
>
> --
> George Hester

True.

Steve