Sign in with
Your question

Brand new Dell with Windows 7, wont let me install my Microsoft office 2007

Last response: in Windows 7
August 29, 2012 2:20:09 PM

Hello,
I get D:/ is not a Win32 application. There is no "run as adminstrator"option, I can't change compatibility mode because it only brings up a list of already installed programs, I bought it retail and have installed it on my computer, my kids computers, etc., no limit on installations.. If I try autoplay I can feel the disc spinning but it never starts to load. I really need it for work as I work from home and it is a requirement.
a b $ Windows 7
August 29, 2012 5:01:30 PM

While it has nothing to do with the problem you are having, Microsoft does not sell unlimited license versions of its software retail. The most I have ever seen is 3-user packs of Office. However, that would only kick in when you go to try and activate the software. So if someone told you that this has an unlimited user license, they flat out lied to you, or you misunderstood them in some way.

That aside, I would say that your problem is quite likely the result of a malware infestation. You might want to give a program like the one from Malwarebytes a quick run, and I would bet you'd be amazed at how much stuff it finds. You could also try running "sfc /scannow" which MIGHT be able to repair the damage. Just make sure you have a backup of important documents, because if there is a malware problem, and it's bad enough to be causing that level of problems, often times attempting to cure the disease ends up killing the patient (your OS install).
August 29, 2012 5:14:45 PM

Can you explore the files on the disk? Or installer starts but doesn't continue.

If it is just spinning, the disk is not reading properly. It could be the disk is marginal and although it worked with your other computers, perhaps the drive on your new computer isn't matching up very well.

Can your computer read other disks (did you put it in right side up?)? and does the MSOffice disk work on the other computers (in that you can explore the files).
Those answers will help you eliminate some possible causes
Related resources
August 31, 2012 12:05:02 AM

I can explore, it works fine in the other computers in the house (3 of them) and for sure it is right side up. LOL.. If I click on the autorun.EXE a window opens with the name of the disk at the top, and then it freezes..and says "not responding", other times I can feel the disk spin but nothing ever happens..
August 31, 2012 12:08:48 AM

cl-scott said:
While it has nothing to do with the problem you are having, Microsoft does not sell unlimited license versions of its software retail. The most I have ever seen is 3-user packs of Office. However, that would only kick in when you go to try and activate the software. So if someone told you that this has an unlimited user license, they flat out lied to you, or you misunderstood them in some way.

That aside, I would say that your problem is quite likely the result of a malware infestation. You might want to give a program like the one from Malwarebytes a quick run, and I would bet you'd be amazed at how much stuff it finds. You could also try running "sfc /scannow" which MIGHT be able to repair the damage. Just make sure you have a backup of important documents, because if there is a malware problem, and it's bad enough to be causing that level of problems, often times attempting to cure the disease ends up killing the patient (your OS install).

It is a brand new computer straight out of the box. I ran "Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware." I haven't done any work of any kind on it yet, just set it up and have been trying to download my Microsoft Offfice 2007 ever since. I work from home and I can't work at all with Word and Excel, and I need my OUtlook back up and running. My work computer crashed and I've been out of work since Sunday. I'm just about disgusted enough to go by one that already has Office on it and I really cannot afford it.
August 31, 2012 12:32:08 AM

*can't work "without" Word and Excel.
August 31, 2012 11:38:10 PM

try copying all the files from the disk to a folder. And then executing the installer from there. Not familiar with the office install disk, but I don't believe they really tied the installer to the disk.

The autorun usually is going to execute some other installer program, try running that program with "run as administrator"

If the copy fails, do the copy from the older working computer, then transfer the folder over to the new computer.

!