4Gig file limit - Any way to bypass?

kandresen

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2002
While dumping a 10Gig disk to a file on another computer, I ran into the 4Gig file barrier of FAT32... (No more address space, hex FFFFFFFF is reached.)

Are there any ways to bypass this problem?
Could I
1) do it by changing the partition parameters like cluster size etc?
2) install a different filesystem under Windows, like XFS, and write to it through windows using some 3rd party drivers?

markprz

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2001
What program are you using? If you're using Ghost, then you can just use the -split=x parameter to automatically split the image into seperate files.

Also, NTFS doesn't have this problem, so you might want to try converting the partition.

kandresen

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2002
I am using diskedit so I am able to split it in several files. I tried to use ghost too, but because no partitions are recognized, ghost won't use the disk... I had a partition crash, so no partitions are recognized. I know all my files are intact, however, before I am trying to modify the disk directly, I want to back up all the information. As I am using the network to connect the two machines, diskedit won't allow me to write to the physical layer on the target computer, so I need to write to files.

As partititon FAT 32 does not have problem with 10Gigs, however, it is a filesize limit on 4Gig.
Are you sure that NTFS does not have a similar filesize limit?

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
NTFS typically has slightly slower performance due to the way its set up. However you can have files over 4Gb in size, it handles huge partitions much better and has better error recovery/correction abilities.

initially i had a mix of ntfs and fat32 partitions, but now im all ntfs. much betta

<font color=green>Proud member of THG's</font color=green> <font color=blue>Den Of Thieves</font color=blue> :lol:

TRENDING THREADS