Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Anyone interested in class action suit against HP

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
February 5, 2009 2:08:37 PM

First needed: enough people disatisfied enough with good reason to be with an HP computer.

Second needed: person able to create a You Tube video titled HP Class Action Suit Applications

Third: Seek out effective legal team to begin legal action

Fourth: Patience

Fifth: Euphoric feeling as HP Goliath bows to David
a b D Laptop
February 5, 2009 3:10:49 PM

You can't just sue someone because you're dissatisfied with a product. You actually need a reason to sue them - either you got hurt, or you believe you were sold something you didn't actually get. Furthermore, everyone in the lawsuit has to have the same problem as you, not just a grievance.
March 15, 2009 7:28:52 AM

I have evidence showing that HP has programmed their ink cartridges to fail soon after installation. The cartridges are printed with warrenty date on them. The cartridges give error messages regarding such and the printer is totally disabled soon after - rendering it useless. I have, in the past, installed new cartridges in the printer even though the old cartridges have not been in long nor used enough to be low level - I then swapped them out with the old cartridges and gotten more than a hundred extra prints from the old cartridges (with the printer thinking they are still the new cartridges). This is a consumer rip-off and HP service has told me I need a new printer when it is obviously a software program to make users buy more ink.
Related resources
a b D Laptop
March 15, 2009 1:25:16 PM

I've owned HP printers all my life (upwards of 10 of them) and never encountered this problem. I don't know how you can validate that without the code itself, too. Computers are quirky and have odd malfunctions sometimes. I think you need more research into your problem to rule out the possibility of a malfunction before you jump to conclusions.

And you should probably take apart a few cartridges, to see how they work. If you haven't at least done that, I wouldn't even bother calling a lawyer.
April 4, 2009 5:24:09 AM

I have performed postmortems onn dead ink carts and these devices are simple and really hard to fail.
Most problems are resulted from improperly storing the carts and the ink will dry to a paste.
There is no need for a smart chip.
HP Tech no support told me it was imposable to bypass the ink expiration message and resulting refusal to print.
I told No support that the chip is not GOD , its just the messenger and it is the driver that controls the printer.
That chip just carries the date of manufacture. Here is a good example when the printer is off line and you print a demo sheet, or align the print heads, menu tree, configuration page , ect. with expired Ink cartridges, IT PRINTS FLAWLESSLY. Go online or install the printerdriver and suddenly the printer refuses to print because the ink has expired.
I just returned from Iraq with a Business inkjet 2800 and I let it sit for a few months before using it again, I had to replace the print heads because I had let them dry out (diddnt mean to) That cost $160.00 The ink Cartrages have over 75% ink in them and after I installed the printer on to my server it startes screaming about expired ink carts! even a brand new black ink cart (Bought the same time as the other carts) was expired.
By turning back the Date of my Printer server by 1 year I was able to use that expired ink.
I Vote for a Class Action Lawsuit.
Regards
Repair Rabbit
June 7, 2009 8:04:24 AM

frozenlead said:
You can't just sue someone because you're dissatisfied with a product. You actually need a reason to sue them - either you got hurt, or you believe you were sold something you didn't actually get. Furthermore, everyone in the lawsuit has to have the same problem as you, not just a grievance.

what about if we sue because we didnt recieve cashback on our purchases? this has happened to me and apparently im not the only one..
June 7, 2009 12:32:29 PM

I've had old HP printers where you could remove the chips off the ink cartridges, buy dummy chips to replace them that if they do expire or the chips says it's out you can reset so it thinks it's full again and get out every last drop out of the cartridge.
June 15, 2009 5:05:07 PM

I am a computer novice who purchased a HP Pavillion notebook HDX9010NR. It was an upgraded $3000 computer with a 20" screen to use with the 3 dimensional imaging program to use in home demonstrations. It was sparingly used. About 1 yr. after purchase, while doing an HP diagnostic check, it was recommended to due a bios update. This bios update basically fried my computer. The HP rep "allowed me" to return it for a no charge repair. It came back, it did not respond properly to wireless keyboard and mouse, an HP online diagnostic check diagnosed a couple of HP program upgrades, as well as the bios upgrade. It fried the computer again. This time the telephone teck copped to the fact that even though there is no warning on the program upgrade, the upgrade was not compatible with my computer. Thanks. I lost a semester of school, the $1,000 rental of my 3d program, and the clients who paid to see their work on screen. I have just opened the box and plugged in the computer after it's 3rd repair. The battery light will not come on and the computer itself will not switch on. I am taking it to Best Buy to have them fix it and then sue HP.
Anonymous
a b α HP
a b D Laptop
June 21, 2009 9:55:11 PM

I have a DV9700 Pavillion motherboard dead after 14 months out of warrenty?
i will with pleassure join a class action
a b D Laptop
June 21, 2009 10:47:06 PM

Quote:

That's not cause for a lawsuit, Einstein.
June 22, 2009 4:25:51 PM

Quote:

There is a 24 month extended warranty enhancement that should cover your laptop. It's buried on the HP website. It is a KNOWN hardware problem.

Now for me, who has had my laptop more than 24 months, I was told too bad. They offered me $200 to fix it plus shipping & taxes. Several models have the same problem. I'm all for joining a class action lawsuit. They knowingly shipped faulty computers. I was told that emails were sent that was probably caught by spam filters. They should have sent via postal mail. Now I have a $1000 piece of junk that contains photos & videos of my kids that I may not be able to recover.
a b D Laptop
June 22, 2009 4:38:28 PM

motherofhope said:
There is a 24 month extended warranty enhancement that should cover your laptop. It's buried on the HP website. It is a KNOWN hardware problem.

Now for me, who has had my laptop more than 24 months, I was told too bad. They offered me $200 to fix it plus shipping & taxes. Several models have the same problem. I'm all for joining a class action lawsuit. They knowingly shipped faulty computers. I was told that emails were sent that was probably caught by spam filters. They should have sent via postal mail. Now I have a $1000 piece of junk that contains photos & videos of my kids that I may not be able to recover.

If your motherboard is fried, that has nothing to do with your data that is stored on you HDD. You can probably pull the hard drive out of the laptop and hook it up to your desktop or another laptop and be able to retrieve your data.

I'm not sure why you guys feel entitled to money for hard ware that is out of warranty. If you buy a short warranty and don't bother to renew it (especially since you say this is a KNOWN problem) then you are shooting yourselves in the foot. If you knew there was an issue with that particular laptop and still bought it or only went with a short warranty, you did it to yourself. Deal with it.
June 22, 2009 4:50:28 PM

If I had known it were an issue, I never would have bought the laptop. They are not advertising that this is an issue. DUH!

It is known to HP. However, HP has buried this info on their website. I don't want money, I want them to stand behind their product & fix it. Which they won't do without additional cost to me. I've spent over a year searching for the solution. Even calling HP tech support. I was told to remove the battery, unplug & hold down the power key for a minute, then try again. Apparently from all the forum posts that I have read, this is what they have been telling people. IF tech support can keep people busy with temporary fixes until warranties run out, then they don't have to eat the cost of fixing the faulty equipment that they sold.

Class action lawsuits are not about money. It's about big business admitting fault & backing their products. Most times the only way to get them to do this is to hit them where it hurts.
a b D Laptop
June 22, 2009 4:58:36 PM

I understand your frustration, really I do. I've owned several prebuilts from Dell (most of which were flawless) and have worked with serveral HP's including my GF's whose motherboard fried.

But the problem is that dang warranty. No company is going to replace parts without charging you if your warranty is expired. Dell works the same way and so does Sager. Both companies in fact will charge you even just to talk to tech support once your warranty is up. They do that to encourage you to buy the more expensive extended warranties.

I can't say I understand why HP was giving you the run around and just didn't replace the motherboard. My brother's motherboard in his Dell Inspiron 9300 fried twice and both times they came to him and replaced it. Then again Dell is also the one who released a stupid BIOS "fix" when all of those NVidia cards were going bad.

I didn't mean to come down hard on you in my post, but a couple of the guys before you were clearly just looking for money. People will sue for just about anything these days. lol.
July 11, 2009 3:40:16 AM

I've just found out about the motherboard issue! I own 3 hp laptops, and one just encountered the motherboard issue last night. Here's why I think this issue is worthy of class action:
1) HP has been aware of this problem for several years
2) The internet is full of feedback from thousands of people affected by this defect. It is the same part that is consistently failing. It is well documented.
3) Knowing their product was defective, HP should have issued a recall, or given an open ended window to repair this specific problem whenever their defective part finally gave out. Instead they quietly offered an extra year to fix computers that were no longer working. If your computer encountered this defect one day after the extended warranty, tough!
4) As HP has been made keenly aware of this defect by innumerable complaints and news articles, they cannot claim ignorance of this matter.
5) Selling a defective product and then telling the consumer to bite the bullet should not be tolerated.

Class action or not, selling defective products is not a wise long term business strategy. Slowly but surely the word will get out and about.
a b D Laptop
July 11, 2009 4:15:27 AM

Do any of you have a source detailing the motherboard problem you're talking about? There are thousands of factors that can lead to a motherboard defect, and only a small portion of them are the manufacturer's responsibility. Also, a motherboard defect running years? No, no. A computer company doesn't use the same architecture for a motherboard for years. That's nonsense.
July 11, 2009 1:00:39 PM

You have a valid question, Frozenlead. Remember, my laptop crashed only a day ago, so my research is very preliminary, but here are a few links I've dug up so far. Seem to cover multiple years. Just to clarify, the problem specifically deals with a malfunctioning wireless card and/or screen that originates with a defective motherboard.

HP's own website:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&dlc=e...
-----------------------
HP Pavilion DV6000 Laptop Wireless Failure - HP Says 1 in 7 Affected

http://www.ilovebonnie.net/2008/05/10/hp-pavilion-dv600...
-----------------------------------
HP Pavilion DV6000 Wireless Failure/Video Failure (XP Related?)

http://forums13.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionansw...
-------------------------------------
Big Problems with Wireless in HP Pavilion Notebooks

http://www.pcmech.com/article/big-problems-with-wireles...
------------------------------------
Folow up: HP admits to problems with Pavilion notebooks and tries to help. But is it enough?

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Berlind/?p=863
July 15, 2009 10:07:31 PM

Rattlermorg, here. I have a Pavillion dv9700 and the mother board went out after just 10 months. Still under warrantee!!!! Whoopie....I sent it to HP and, of course, they called back saying that there was "residue" on the mother board, itself, and to no surprise that voided my warranty. I am the only one that uses this laptop and "I NEVER spilt anything on the computer". I knew when I sent it that I would get something back so they would not fix it. Oh, also, they told me it would cost $479.00 to repair out of warrantee. I told them...NO!!! Then they actually said that they would be happy to send it back to me...FREE OF CHARGE!!!!! I told them that that would be sooooo great of them. I would be glad to add my name to any such lawsuit...thanks...Steve
July 24, 2009 2:08:23 PM

frozenlead said:

I just read a quote from an HP tech person saying they estimate tha 1 in 7 of the dv 6000, dv9000 are affected by the faulty motherboard situation, all within 2 yrs of purchase...is that reason enough???
July 27, 2009 12:01:52 PM

An update on my situation: To make a long story short, after fruitless interactions with HP over the phone and by internet chat, I decided to email the CEO of HP. Basically I said to him much the same as what I have said in this thread. I had a reply within two days, and a day or two latter a UPS box arrived at my house for me to send in my laptop. No cost for shipping and no cost for repair. Two days later my laptop was shipped back and is once again fully functional.

The good:
-Kudos to the CEO and Exec Team for responding to my email. My laptop was 2 years out of warranty and I guess they could have just ignored me.
-It was a nice touch that they even paid for shipping. I was impressed.
-Extremely prompt and efficient service once the ball got rolling.

The bad:
-There must be considerable truth to the word on the net about defective motherboards. I don't think HP would have agreed to fix my laptop out of the kindness of their heart.
-HP support (both phone and chat) should be instructed to be more flexible when dealing with customers experiencing the symptoms of a defective motherboard - namely wireless card and or screen stop functioning.
-There should have been a recall on the affected products to save customers the hassles that they are clearly experiencing from reading threads like this one and web sites on the topic.
-Talking to HP support was very frustrating.

Thanks HP for this one, but I'm worried about my other two HP laptops. Will they encounter the same defect, and will another email to the CEO be required?

August 19, 2009 12:31:05 AM

i had 2 one i got rid of the mother board went after 3 yrs and my husband thankfully went before the warranty ran out now my friends just went and we bought them all the same time my son's motherboard caught fire thank god he was still awake and my friend also has a desktop by hp that was also bought the same time as the laptops we all got and his motherboard just went in that also so in a 3 yr time spam 3 laptops and 1 desktop the motherboards went we are so disgusted and the warranties we have we were told the extended warranties were good for 2 yrs after the 1 yr hp warrany ran out which was not true so we got even more mad, plus my screen cracked and hp refused to fix that that is the laptop i got rid of because between the screen and motherboard it was too much to fix it i would definitely go into a lawsuit against hp it is sickening how the motherboards are going in them withing 3 yrs or less

gina
August 19, 2009 1:21:38 AM

to everyone bitching about HP desktop failures

BUILD YOUR OWN

to everyone else

BUY ANOTHER BRAND and save money on the 'lawyers' you wanna buy. Suing HP might get you money,but it wont force them to build higher quality products, so your still gonna have to buy something else to use anyway.
August 19, 2009 1:28:59 AM

its the point we all bought these computers and our money is now wasted on defective parts that should be fixed its not about money its about getting the product properly fixed
August 19, 2009 1:36:14 AM

stickmann100 said:
I just read a quote from an HP tech person saying they estimate tha 1 in 7 of the dv 6000, dv9000 are affected by the faulty motherboard situation, all within 2 yrs of purchase...is that reason enough???

i think its a damn good reason if they refuse to fix their defective product and make up stories to avoid fixing them well then we will all see them in court and then maybe they will fix the product we bought with our hard earned money its not like we can all just go buy computers whenever the defective part refuses to get fixed not in this day and age. they need to own up to their problem and fix it or they will be sued by alot of people wanting their products fixed
August 19, 2009 9:24:06 PM

lostandwandering said:
If your motherboard is fried, that has nothing to do with your data that is stored on you HDD. You can probably pull the hard drive out of the laptop and hook it up to your desktop or another laptop and be able to retrieve your data.

I'm not sure why you guys feel entitled to money for hard ware that is out of warranty. If you buy a short warranty and don't bother to renew it (especially since you say this is a KNOWN problem) then you are shooting yourselves in the foot. If you knew there was an issue with that particular laptop and still bought it or only went with a short warranty, you did it to yourself. Deal with it.

lostandwandering... I DID purchase an extended warranty for my unit. I was NOT told that there was already an extended warranty. This was after one motherboard quit. Again the motherboard quit, the DAY my warranty ran out. HP wants more money to replace, yet again, the motherboard. This time, I have contacted a friend at CBS and we will do an expose' on HP swindling their customers by selling faulty merchandise with defective parts. You see, some of us DO things by HP's rules, and we still get screwed.
a b D Laptop
August 20, 2009 2:30:48 AM

If your product breaks out of it's warranty period, you have to pay for it to be repaired, or you get rid of it. End of story. There's no swindling there.

That being said, HP released an extended warranty period for affected un-modified notebooks, and released BIOS updates to correct the problems for future notebooks they've sold. Both services were free. It looks to me like HP did their job. There's nothing to uncover and nothing to report. Next time, kids, RTFM on warranties.

Anonymous
a b α HP
a b D Laptop
August 20, 2009 3:36:04 AM

lostandwandering said:

That response seems rather hard. There is plenty of evidence that HP sold a faulty product. We purchased the DV6000 Pavillion and 6 months in the motherboard died. HP replaced it and 4 months later again it died. We called and HP said they only warranty their work for 3 months. So, it was our lost. It was all over the internet that HP DV6000 Pavillions had failing motherboards. Yes, HP should stand by their work. I've looked for a long time for our solution and never received an e-mail and they refused over and over to help us.
a b D Laptop
August 20, 2009 3:57:54 AM

^Yes, but that's the problem. No company is going to work with you on a system that is out of any warranty coverage unless you foot the bill. That is unfortunately the way it works. I've dealt with Dell before and they are the same way, you have to actually pay in order to just talk to a technician (or at least that's how it used to be).

I'm not trying to be harsh or unsympathetic, it's unfortunately how it's going to be though. I've owned a couple of pre-built systems and watched my girlfriend's HP DV4 burn itself out. I know it sucks, trust me.

If all of these issues were arising while the systems were under warranty and then HP wasn't willing to help, then I'd say there might be a case. However, as it stands I personally don't see this going anywhere.
August 20, 2009 6:12:20 AM

i hate HP, they are soooooo friggin crap machines as for computers, i own a Pavilion dv2020ca, it heats up like crazy, it friggin burns on my lap, this happened 3 months after i bought it, i've been sending it back to warranty for alot of times already, everytime i get it back, something else is wrong, i swear the technician who work there sucks like crap, i rather they just give me the parts, n i'll juz DIY

also all the HP desktop/laptop are made from the same manufacturer in China as Acer/Gateway/eMachine/Compaq which they are crap of the crap and rediculously overpriced, never in my life again will buy a HP computer ever again
August 20, 2009 8:07:16 PM

ghood29 said:
i think its a damn good reason if they refuse to fix their defective product and make up stories to avoid fixing them well then we will all see them in court and then maybe they will fix the product we bought with our hard earned money its not like we can all just go buy computers whenever the defective part refuses to get fixed not in this day and age. they need to own up to their problem and fix it or they will be sued by alot of people wanting their products fixed

I have a HP Pavilion dv9000, first I call tech support on 7/5/09, they tell me my warranty was up and they couldn't troubleshoot over the phone, well I got the tech to listen to the sound and I told him black screen, he told me it sounds like a motherboard issue and tell me I can trade in my defective laptop and buy a new one.

I called Staples where I purchased the computer, they told me HP is trying to pull a fast one on me, they told me about the recal on the motherboard.

I call back HP, last night and you won't believe what they told me, they admitted to the recal but told me that they extended the warranty an extra year which ended on June 30th, 2009 which means when I first called I missed the warranty date by 5 DAYS. Guess what, after speaking with supervisors, managers, etc they would not budge. They told me Sorry.

What is crazy, they have a defective product, so a group of people sit in a room to decisde when the motherboards will fail, maybe I don't use my laptop as much as everyone else, mine failed 5 days after the recal warranty on the motherboard. I am extremely frustrated.
a b D Laptop
August 21, 2009 1:49:41 AM

If you miss the date, you miss the date. End of story. HP solved the problem for the notebooks it continued to sell, and offered an extended warranty for a period of time on notebooks that were already in trouble.

Deadlines are deadlines. They're set for a reason. If you walk into the Secretary of State after 5:00, they won't let you in. Those are the rules.
August 21, 2009 3:11:44 AM

frozenlead said:
If you miss the date, you miss the date. End of story. HP solved the problem for the notebooks it continued to sell, and offered an extended warranty for a period of time on notebooks that were already in trouble.

Deadlines are deadlines. They're set for a reason. If you walk into the Secretary of State after 5:00, they won't let you in. Those are the rules.

Guess what HP didn't solve the problem for me and hundreds of others on this board. There consumer loyalty is a joke, and in this case it is not about the money this is all principle.

You are comparing the Secretary of State's office Hours to HP manufacturing a defective product, selling it to millions of consumers and not standing by there product.

A company needs to stand by there product 100%. It never pays to be penny wise and dollar foolish. I will never purchase an HP product again, and I have been a loyal customer for years, we own over 75 desktops, 15 laptops, 14 printers, etc. Don't you see the big picture here, I will tell everyone I know about this story and long term customers like me and all others will have an impact. I will not stop until HP does the right thing.

Anonymous
a b α HP
a b D Laptop
August 21, 2009 2:13:00 PM

I just wanted to add that I, too, have had the same problem with my HP dv9000 laptop. While on warranty, I returned my laptop to HP several times because of wireless problems, etc. Now, no longer on warranty, I am having motherboard issues.

I am a student and take most of my courses on-line. So, it is very frustrating to learn that the issues I was experiencing was a common problem and that HP could have repaired my laptop by replacing the motherboard on either one of the several occasions I returned the laptop for repairs. It isn't right that they were aware of the problem, yet only did a temporary fix.

a b D Laptop
August 21, 2009 3:58:38 PM

@ missedwarranty
HP did solve the problem for those who met the warranty date. I'm sorry you didn't, but a deadline is a deadline. I was comparing HP's warranty program's deadline to that of the end time of the Secretary of State (which is also a deadline). Remember Bush v. Gore back in 2000? Votes that weren't recounted after a set deadline weren't counted. Period.

Customer loyalty means nothing. Any company wants your money and doesn't care. If you want to glorify their product and return to them for business, great! If you blindly purchase a new product from the same company just because your last product was good, great! You just hand your money to that company. 'Loyal customers' just waste money and time with frustration down the road. After so many machines from HP, did you think they were all going to be perfect? It just doesn't happen. Stuff breaks, and it always will.

@ exhalebabs
Your problem doesn't appear to be similar to anyone else's here. Wireless problems in a notebook are extremely rare (I've never encountered any in my lifetime, and I've repaired hundreds of notebooks).
Anonymous
a b α HP
a b D Laptop
August 28, 2009 10:17:39 PM

frozenlead said:

Actually you can just sue someone, it is that easy. Do not tell people things you know nothing about. Perhaps you work for HP?!? Drink the kool-aid by yourself. Furthermore, HP laptops dv2..., dv6..., and dv9... series are what they need to be sued over. I am a computer tech and have seen over 100 of these laptops come through with all the same problems. HP knows that they made a horrible product, but don't seem to care or want to do anything about it. I know they claim the recall, but this is like the class action lawsuit against dell a few years ago for the 5150 and 5160 and dell lost, having to give people new laptops and all the money they had spent purchasing the old laptops and all the money they spent on repair, service, and shipping. I have hit the end of my rope with HP and HP support. I canceled all warranty and service agree with HP. they are a company that can not ever be trusted. This is a company that needs to be sued into the ground in order to wake them up and to stop screwing the customer over. I think a billion dollar lawsuit would do just that. I have proof of so many things that HP has and is doing wrong. I have countless recordings from all the lies and deceit and then admitting things as they give in. End users would be suprised to see just how bad they are lied to and mislead. Misleading the customer is false advertisement, and that in itself is a lawsuit. Now, lets talk about your missing the deadlines. There isnt such a thing in this case. its either they fix the laptops or they get sued. You spent @ $1,000.00 for your laptop that you have not gotten to use like you were led to believe. I have called for many customers that HP told them it would take a flat fee of $199 to look at the laptop and then an additional charge to fix it. All you need are the facts, the facts are that they know they screwed up and a judge ruled against them. Just bring up recall info and that your joining the class action lawsuit against them. Now getting them to fix it and having them say they fixed it are two different things. For each laptop I have called them for, I have had to send each one back at least 4 times. ( Thats over 400 times I have shipped laptops back to HP) They want you to just give up, and forget and go on. I have started filling the laptop return boxes with lots of weight, so it kills them in shipping costs. I have been called by, "computer techs" claiming they replaced everything in the laptop and sent it back, STILL BROKEN! So I put it back in the box add a few more pounds and send it back again. I have also place things on the laptop to let me know if they were worked on and/or opened up. You would be very suprised to see how many are never touched, just held on to for a few days then just sent right back to you. Though, here is a trick of theirs. They will say they dont have past documentation stating that you ever sent the laptop in and then the process starts all over again. Lawsuit you say, beyond a shadow of a doubt, I say YES!! If a doctor lost your documentation, how bad do you think he would get sued? Do you think the Dr. has a leg to stand on? NO! Dont just let people walk all over you, stand up and fight back. This is your time and money. It makes me sick to my stomach to watch people that dont know any better get lied to and screwed over day after day. It needs to come to a stop, and a massive lawsuit would do just that.
a b D Laptop
August 28, 2009 11:52:20 PM

Thanks for your kind words. I don't remember ever personally attacking you.

Did you even read my comments (along with several other forum veterans here..)? They clearly explain how HP has done what they can do, and that users cannot expect free repairs for products that are plainly and clearly out of warranty. If my GTP, which just hit 170,000 miles, suddenly broke its crankshaft, would I expect Pontiac to repair it for free? Absolutely not.

I, too, repair hundreds of notebooks and have not noticed any trend of the dv series dying. I see just as many HP machines as I do Dell and Acer. The most common repair I have to do is power jack resoldering across all manufacturers - which isn't a defect at all, it depends all too much on how the user treats their notebook.

If you are a computer tech, why are you sending notebooks to HP? Why aren't you repairing them? If the HP people can't seem to do the job for you...why don't you do it yourself?
September 2, 2009 8:32:40 AM

I have a dv9640us. Got it 14 mo ago. It has the motherboard issue! Black LCD.....They refuse to fix it. They want 420 dollars to repair it cause ts 2 mo out of.....but they admit to the problem. Thats not right.
September 3, 2009 9:13:26 AM

more like 6 in 7 to be honest.
September 3, 2009 6:00:24 PM

I'd just like to have at it with top executives or the tech support people at HP one on one in a room with a baseball bat. For all the BS and piss poor driver suppor and crappy products they make.
September 5, 2009 4:15:12 PM

I'd just like to say thanks for this thread, if nothing else it's convinced me to cut HP off the short list for my next and probably any future laptop purchase(s). Good job HP.

Good luck to you all
Anonymous
a b α HP
a b D Laptop
September 8, 2009 3:43:10 AM

exactly same problem here, they recognise on their extended warranty program ..problem number 4: no power LED, no battery charging, not turning on.

I called them, want 479 to repair and later called by case manager to be only get discounted repair by 20%....,

just because they know the problem. the laptop started getting hot a lot while charging, i could not touch my charging pin, it was going so hot. and then one day it dies.. after 19 month of use... my motherboard is gone.

and we have full right to sue HP.
Anonymous
a b α HP
a b D Laptop
September 10, 2009 9:40:27 PM

I am a very pissed and dissatisfied customer we had problems with thed wireless a couple of months after the warranty expired. Called bestbuy they gave us HP 's number. HP told us to send it in. We did, they called back and said it was not under warranty after they told us that it was a known problem that it would be fixed. They told us that they could fix it for $300 we told them no. They sent it back. Then we went on thier website and researched thier website. They had a recall for the wireless problem. We called them and they said to send it back and it would definitely be fixed with no problems. They sent us the box and we sent it back. They called us again and said that it was the motherboard and the wireless had to be fixed. They gave us two prices one was $250 for the motherboard and now the wireless was around 200. Even though we told them about the recall it did not matter. I asked to speak to a manager and was told that the person I was talking to was one. I was told the wireless would be fixed. I recieved the computer it was worse. i called and was told they would send another box to send it back and they would fix the wirelss. Sent it back and they called and said it would not be fixed cause coke was found all over the computer. Now that Im asking more questions now all of a sudden they are saying it will not be fix because of this problem. I will not accept this lie. I was never told anything about any coke. I was promised that thew problem would be taken care of. I have 2 oter computers that best buy will do something about.
September 11, 2009 1:57:15 PM

the wireless issue is a manufacturer issue and only them they can fix it, by either replacing the motherboard or doing some bios fixes to let the wireless work free from
the os. if you spilled coke the whole laptop will die and not just the wireless so its completely a lie if they said they found coke "unless coke was spilled after it was returned by you or kid or the delivery driver or them!)

to be honest if they dont want to repair it for free they would know how to trick you to do that, there is no fix realy for your problem and coke spill or wireless not
turning blue would need a new mobo but HP is realy evil when it comes to warranty, avoid buying their laptops.

if you have warranty the day you called about the wirless problem, you must take them to justice,
evidence: on their website as your laptop qualified for a recall, that itself is enough
about the coke? i don't know realy

just let them know, you're going to law about this and they'll sort smth out
Anonymous
a b α HP
a b D Laptop
September 12, 2009 8:54:35 PM

frozenlead said:
If your product breaks out of it's warranty period, you have to pay for it to be repaired, or you get rid of it. End of story. There's no swindling there.

That being said, HP released an extended warranty period for affected un-modified notebooks, and released BIOS updates to correct the problems for future notebooks they've sold. Both services were free. It looks to me like HP did their job. There's nothing to uncover and nothing to report. Next time, kids, RTFM on warranties.

Actually, HP did not do their job. They only covered a select group of notebooks. I have an HP Pavilion dv9000 series entertainment notebook and I experienced the same problems, but because my machine wasn't on their "list", I was not covered and was told to pay $425 to get it fixed or to buy a new machine.

There's a difference between our product breaking and our product malfunctioning because it's defective. If HP is aware that this issue exists, they have an obligation to their customers to take care of the problem. It's simple business practice.
a b D Laptop
September 13, 2009 5:40:04 AM

Did you ever take into account that your model notebook wasn't on the list because it wasn't defective? Just because your machine broke doesn't mean the entire model series is defective. Everyone in this thread keeps referring to the dv9000 series - that notebook model line is many, many years old and has several hundred models! They don't all use the same motherboard. Just because you have a model number that's remotely similar to a different notebook known for faults doesn't mean yours is faulty.

Edit: spelling.
September 13, 2009 9:15:45 PM

to me its just not worth the risk of buying an hp which will cost £400 and I don't know for sure if it is one of the defective models or not. no other manufacturer has such a long recall list what I know is this

5 out of 8 clients who come daily for laptop repairs have hp's dv series
it got to the point where as soon as they open the door and say I have HP I tell them "is it starting with black screen?" and the answer is always "yes"
hp forums, 45% "start black sceen or no wirless turning blue"
99% of any dv series overheat, simply install speedfan on any dv series and run youtube videos and check
the gpu always over 65c to 80c

warranty and phone helpline "lets not even talk about that"
a b D Laptop
September 13, 2009 9:50:01 PM

pcfixed said:

the gpu always over 65c to 80c

Those are good temperatures for a GPU - that's nowhere near overheating.

September 14, 2009 10:08:59 AM

are you mad, normal is 40c idle and 55 load on most laptops, and it doesnt burn your hand when you put it under the laptop. this is 75c watching youtube
September 16, 2009 8:17:43 PM

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones...

I bought a DV9417cl refurbished from Buy.com in Nov. 2007. I used it very lightly until Sep 2008, when I woke up one morning to find it would not power on - no screen, no lights except the blue ring around the charger plug. I took it to my local pc repair, and they diagnosed a dead motherboard. Since the refurbished pc came with only 90 days warranty, I figured I was screwed and put the thing in the closet and forgot about it. This morning, I was cleaning out the closet and for unknown reasons, googled DV9417cl and wound up on this thread. I followed the HP link posted by activsagi above, checked that my laptop was eligible for the service extension and called them at 1-866-671-7362. The cs rep was polite and efficient. I told her that the computer was refurbished and purchased in 11/2007, and that it had failed a year ago. Even so, she determined that it was eligible for free repair and shipping both ways and told me to expect a shipping package in about 2 working days.

So, so far, so good. My only complaint at this point is with the PC repair store where I took it. I told the manager what happened, and he claimed that although they are "HP Partners," HP never notified them of the service extension. Needless to say, I'll take my business elsewhere in the future.

Thanks to all who contributed to this thread, and I wish you good outcomes with your repair issues.
a b D Laptop
September 16, 2009 8:43:23 PM

pcfixed said:
are you mad, normal is 40c idle and 55 load on most laptops, and it doesnt burn your hand when you put it under the laptop. this is 75c watching youtube

55 Load? No way. Both of my roomates have Dell M1530's with 9600GT's in them - they load at 80-90. Notebook GPUs can run up above 100C without trouble (though it is very high!) My Sager which, arguably, has one of the best cooling configs to befit a notebook, loads at 66C. 75C at some load is a perfectly acceptable temperature for a mainstream notebook, which are designed to be pretty rather than cool.
!