Sign in with
Your question

No USB mouse or keyboard after removing ATI drivers, cannot log in

Last response: in Windows 7
August 29, 2012 3:24:17 PM

Hello, I'm in a bit of a conundrum. This morning I was attempting to remove all my ATI related drivers ue to a display driver error I kept getting so that I can start fresh with a clean installation of the ATI video drivers. I went into the registry and deleted all the ATI related stuff I could find to make sure I had everything. I restarted my computer, and lo and behold, my keyboard and mouse weren't functioning at all, and I couldn't log in because of that. I realized in deleting those ATI drivers I'd possibly removed the USB controllers. So I had nowhere else to go except to system restore, but it told me I had no restore points, which is frustrating. So I'm stuck, i can't go back to an earlier date, nor can I log in. Does anyone know a way around this at all?

More about : usb mouse keyboard removing ati drivers log

a b $ Windows 7
August 29, 2012 3:37:33 PM

Do you have a disk with USB support drivers that can be re-installed? If this is a home built the drivers should be on the MB disk. You may be stuck with a complete re-format. I keep telling people that ATI drivers are buggy but many think I'm crazy.
m
l
August 29, 2012 3:38:11 PM

1) First off, do you have any PS/2 ports on your board at all? I know that many do not now days, but if you do that would be the first place to start.

2) Do you still experience the same problem in Safe Mode (I know you've probably tried this stuff but I'm covering my bases)?

3) You can use a pre environment like Bart's PE to get you in prewindows in order to restore the driver: http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/
You may have to get the driver from the motherboard manufacturer's website, then expand it in the proper directories to be back basic functionality. I've fixed a few drivers this way by copying over DLLs into their valid system/system32 directories. Here is an overview of the expand command: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc722332(v=ws.10).aspx

Without system restore or a previous image that's the best I can think of off the top of my head, hopefully that's of some use.
m
l
Related resources
August 29, 2012 3:53:54 PM

You will need to find a ps2 type keyboard but plug it in only when power is off, you can damage ps2 devices by just hot pluggin them. and try...

but i think you deleted vital registry keys,
THATs WHY NEVER EDIT THE REGISTRY IF YOU DONT KNOW WHAT YOUR DOING....OR DELETING.
But anyway you should still be able to boot with your usb kb and mouse.
Insert the windows disc and boot from the CD.
Start windows install and do a new installation, NOT startup repair as it probable wont see a problem in registry,
DO NOT FORMAT THE HARD DRIVES or modify the disks in any way.Its the only way safe way of not loosing your data, DO NOT FORMAT THE HARD DRIVES,
select the hard drive with the old windows on, If windows asked to overwrite windows or warns a wiindows installation exists, just click OK or Continue.
but plaese DO NOT select "Advanced Drive Options",
just install on c: primary boot
Let windows install
it will create a new clean windows install.
After install you will be able to go into windows.
Now you will have to reinstall all your drivers and programs.Go to c:/users and you will find your old user account. copy or move them to where you want.

And dont delete drivers from registy, it is like opening an egg with a huge hammer.Totally unnessacary.
Go to start, right click Computer and select Manage. Open Device manager/ment, HERE is the CORRECT place where you manage drivers or remove then savely and disable hardware ok....have fun installing and reinstalling windows.

Your usb ports should work with windows standard usb drivers, but will prob only work in usb 1.1 mode.Install the Nforce/AMD drivers first thing. Have Fun!
m
l
August 29, 2012 4:12:25 PM

ram1009 said:
Do you have a disk with USB support drivers that can be re-installed? If this is a home built the drivers should be on the MB disk. You may be stuck with a complete re-format. :o  I keep telling people that ATI drivers are buggy but many think I'm crazy.

:non:  :non:  :non:  :non:  :non:  :non:  :non:  :non: 
That is totally unfair towards AMD if you say that, when the USER does NOT USE the installers/unistallers to REMOVE ''currupt' drivers and reinstall. And worse is when people sabotage the registry and then Rage at AMD its their fault...no no no :pfff: 

I have been using ATI/AMD/nVidia installers for 10+ years and I never had big issues. :heink: 

You are aware that when you run installer from AMD the thing you have to accept before you can install, indenifies AMD from and damage caused by inproper/misuse of their software.

SO NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER MESS AROUND IN THE REGISTRY, or look what happens. :bounce: 
m
l
August 29, 2012 4:25:42 PM

blakwidowrsa said:
:non:  :non:  :non:  :non:  :non:  :non:  :non:  :non: 
That is totally unfair towards AMD if you say that, when the USER does NOT USE the installers/unistallers to REMOVE ''currupt' drivers and reinstall. And worse is when people sabotage the registry and then Rage at AMD its their fault...no no no :pfff: 

I have been using ATI/AMD/nVidia installers for 10+ years and I never had big issues. :heink: 

You are aware that when you run installer from AMD the thing you have to accept before you can install, indenifies AMD from and damage caused by inproper/misuse of their software.

SO NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER MESS AROUND IN THE REGISTRY, or look what happens. :bounce: 

Well I can tell you from years of PC work and builds that video drivers are the largest drivers for BSODs in a Windows environment, hands down cause the most problems. Though, they have gotten much better in my opinion (especially CCC). With that being said, next time if you feel like poking around in the registry I would make certain that you have a restore point and a valid registry backup (both very easy to do). I like to stay stay out of the registry unless it is absolutely needed.
m
l
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
August 29, 2012 4:36:52 PM

And here i thought most BSOD's came from too much overclocking :) 
Followed by bad memory.
Then drivers(honestly very rare with modern hardware) :) 

I sure hope the OP can get into safe mode, should be the fastest fix.
m
l
August 29, 2012 6:08:23 PM

nullifier said:
1) First off, do you have any PS/2 ports on your board at all? I know that many do not now days, but if you do that would be the first place to start.

2) Do you still experience the same problem in Safe Mode (I know you've probably tried this stuff but I'm covering my bases)?

3) You can use a pre environment like Bart's PE to get you in prewindows in order to restore the driver: http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/
You may have to get the driver from the motherboard manufacturer's website, then expand it in the proper directories to be back basic functionality. I've fixed a few drivers this way by copying over DLLs into their valid system/system32 directories. Here is an overview of the expand command: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc722332(v=ws.10).aspx

Without system restore or a previous image that's the best I can think of off the top of my head, hopefully that's of some use.

My PC has no PS/2 ports so I can't try out an old fashioned keyboard + mouse.
Safe mode still gives my USB keyboard + mice no movement.
Bart's PE is only compatible with XP/2003/2000 no? And how might I write a bootable disk when I can't log in?

ram1009 said:
Do you have a disk with USB support drivers that can be re-installed? If this is a home built the drivers should be on the MB disk. You may be stuck with a complete re-format. I keep telling people that ATI drivers are buggy but many think I'm crazy.

I have no disk for the USB support drivers.

I think my computer recognizes my keyboard, but only during the boot stage. Because I can press F11 to get into system restore when I first boot up, but once I get to the log in screen the mouse and keyboard don't work at all.

blakwidowrsa said:
You will need to find a ps2 type keyboard but plug it in only when power is off, you can damage ps2 devices by just hot pluggin them. and try...

but i think you deleted vital registry keys,
THATs WHY NEVER EDIT THE REGISTRY IF YOU DONT KNOW WHAT YOUR DOING....OR DELETING.
But anyway you should still be able to boot with your usb kb and mouse.
Insert the windows disc and boot from the CD.
Start windows install and do a new installation, NOT startup repair as it probable wont see a problem in registry,
DO NOT FORMAT THE HARD DRIVES or modify the disks in any way.Its the only way safe way of not loosing your data, DO NOT FORMAT THE HARD DRIVES,
select the hard drive with the old windows on, If windows asked to overwrite windows or warns a wiindows installation exists, just click OK or Continue.
but plaese DO NOT select "Advanced Drive Options",
just install on c: primary boot
Let windows install
it will create a new clean windows install.
After install you will be able to go into windows.
Now you will have to reinstall all your drivers and programs.Go to c:/users and you will find your old user account. copy or move them to where you want.

And dont delete drivers from registy, it is like opening an egg with a huge hammer.Totally unnessacary.
Go to start, right click Computer and select Manage. Open Device manager/ment, HERE is the CORRECT place where you manage drivers or remove then savely and disable hardware ok....have fun installing and reinstalling windows.

Your usb ports should work with windows standard usb drivers, but will prob only work in usb 1.1 mode.Install the Nforce/AMD drivers first thing. Have Fun!

I think I will give this a try when I get home. Currently using the school's computer right now. So the USB controller drivers should be on the windows install disks? Is there a way for me to get the drivers I need to get my keyboard + mice working onto a USB stick that automatically installs them?
m
l
August 29, 2012 6:25:44 PM

btopishere said:
My PC has no PS/2 ports so I can't try out an old fashioned keyboard + mouse.
Safe mode still gives my USB keyboard + mice no movement.
Bart's PE is only compatible with XP/2003/2000 no? And how might I write a bootable disk when I can't log in?

I have no disk for the USB support drivers.

I think my computer recognizes my keyboard, but only during the boot stage. Because I can press F11 to get into system restore when I first boot up, but once I get to the log in screen the mouse and keyboard don't work at all.

I think I will give this a try when I get home. Currently using the school's computer right now. So the USB controller drivers should be on the windows install disks? Is there a way for me to get the drivers I need to get my keyboard + mice working onto a USB stick that automatically installs them?

Part of that was assuming that you would have access to another computer at some point. The "Expand" command I linked you in my last reply is a way for you to get the files of the disc and onto the PC, but it won't be automatic. I do believe you can use Bart's PE with Vista/7, but don't quote me on that. If are able to get to a command prompt, recovery mode, pre environment, whatever, you can also look for this file on your hard drive and try this procedure:

1) Once you are in a command prompt, recovery mode, pre environment or where ever you can navigate the files on the drive (you could also remove the drive and connect it to another PC as a secondary drive) navigate to C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386 (note: this path might be slightly different depending on your OS) and look for any file that has "usb" in it.

1.1) You could also try to get the files off another machine that runs the same operating system and service pack version. You could potentially copy over additional drivers that *could* cause other issues, but at this point I think it is worth a try if you are wanting to avoid system reinstallation.

2) If any of the files end in ".sys" then copy it to C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\Drivers

3) If any of the files end in ".inf" then copy it to C:\WINDOWS\inf

4) Try to use your USB devices again.

Hopefully I was clear enough with my directions. Good luck.
m
l
October 30, 2012 8:23:51 AM

btopishere said:
Hello, I'm in a bit of a conundrum. This morning I was attempting to remove all my ATI related drivers ue to a display driver error I kept getting so that I can start fresh with a clean installation of the ATI video drivers. I went into the registry and deleted all the ATI related stuff I could find to make sure I had everything. I restarted my computer, and lo and behold, my keyboard and mouse weren't functioning at all, and I couldn't log in because of that. I realized in deleting those ATI drivers I'd possibly removed the USB controllers. So I had nowhere else to go except to system restore, but it told me I had no restore points, which is frustrating. So I'm stuck, i can't go back to an earlier date, nor can I log in. Does anyone know a way around this at all?

Don't listen to everything they're saying. Yes I do agree, you shouldn't mess with the registry if you are not sure what you are doing, but I had the exact same problem after doing a "express" uninstall of the CCC (per ATI instructions) before reinstalling the latest ver. (12.6), and afterwards I had no USB what-so-ever, but luckily I have Multiplicity Pro (Stardock) installed so I could operate my desktop (USB problems) with my laptop mousepad and I went and re-installed my chipset drivers (all), and after a reboot, I started getting all the USB connection sounds coming from my desktop, and all was well. I will never uninstall the CCC again before updating, I never did before, and the upgrades went just fine even though they suggest you uninstall the old drivers first. I just thought I would try their instructions that time. What I might try in the future is just uninstalling the display driver only (custom, not express), then upgrading the display driver only. AMD/ATI is different in having everything together like they do.
m
l
February 12, 2013 11:07:40 AM

hello people, this is my first post ....
just wanted to add that the above post by leinad1 is true. I uninstalled the AMD catalyst control central through program uninstall of win 7. It gave me alot of things to uninstall and I thought yeah, why not , in the end asked for restart and after that wow , since I had my first PC in 1998 , I have never seen or imagined that this could happen by uninstalling a VGA card program/drivers !!! Will have to reinstall windowd now to fix it I guess. You guys rock !
I have a major issue of display not coming on, on PC resume, but thats not for here..
Cheers !
m
l
July 14, 2014 6:31:13 AM

btopishere said:

Late reply but it happened to me yesterday on windows 8.1. The 14.6 beta driver uninstaller listed a lot of things including a USB Filter Driver. Wanted to install 14.7 beta and uninstalling 14.6 messed with usb drivers. Good on UEFI BIOS but upon booting nothing via USB works.

Hopefully had teamviewer installed with unattended option on so fixed PC with mi iPad installing the 14.7 beta drivers over network (teamviewer mouse interactions worked!). Reboot and was fixed.

Letting this info here so we get more curious about these tecnologies like VNC, TeamViewer and others that sometime save hours of troubleshooting.
m
l
!