Credit Cards & Identity Theft

I try to keep personal financial info off my computer, but I'm not
sure of success. Is the a web page or similar source that will tell
me how to systematically remove every instance of credit card and/or
password or anything else important from my computer?

I'm running WinXP Pro.

Thanks

Mike

System Security Suite (3S) is a program designed to remove internet tracks
and junk files from your computer. It allows you to delete Cookies,
clear Internet Explorer Cache, delete index.dat Files, clear Typed URLs,
Windows Temp Folder and much more.
http://www.igorshpak.net/

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Mike Fox" wrote:

| I try to keep personal financial info off my computer, but I'm not
| sure of success. Is the a web page or similar source that will tell
| me how to systematically remove every instance of credit card and/or
| password or anything else important from my computer?
|
| I'm running WinXP Pro.
|
| Thanks
|
| Mike

So will a reformat and that's free.

> System Security Suite (3S) is a program designed to remove internet tracks
> and junk files from your computer. It allows you to delete Cookies,
> clear Internet Explorer Cache, delete index.dat Files, clear Typed URLs,
> Windows Temp Folder and much more.
> http://www.igorshpak.net/
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

> "Mike Fox" wrote:
>
> | I try to keep personal financial info off my computer, but I'm not
> | sure of success. Is the a web page or similar source that will tell
> | me how to systematically remove every instance of credit card and/or
> | password or anything else important from my computer?
> |
> | I'm running WinXP Pro.
> |
> | Thanks
> |
> | Mike

Yes, but who would want to reformat every time they made an online purchase
or visited their bank's site?

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Alan Smith" <alan@hidden.email> wrote in message
> So will a reformat and that's free.

>> System Security Suite (3S) is a program designed to remove internet
>> tracks
>> and junk files from your computer. It allows you to delete Cookies,
>> clear Internet Explorer Cache, delete index.dat Files, clear Typed URLs,
>> Windows Temp Folder and much more.
>> http://www.igorshpak.net/
>>
>> --
>> Carey Frisch
>> Microsoft MVP
>> Windows XP - Shell/User
>> Microsoft Newsgroups

>> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/windowsxp/choose.mspx

>> "Mike Fox" wrote:
>>
>> | I try to keep personal financial info off my computer, but I'm not
>> | sure of success. Is the a web page or similar source that will tell
>> | me how to systematically remove every instance of credit card and/or
>> | password or anything else important from my computer?
>> |
>> | I'm running WinXP Pro.
>> |
>> | Thanks
>> |
>> | Mike

Thanks for the pointer to 3S. It's free; it's fairly simple, and it's
very powerful. I turned off 7 autorun tasks and my computer seems to
be slightly faster. With one of the search engines to check out what
various obtuse *.exe's and dll's and BHOs do, it gives me much
greater control over my computer.

Believing the world isn't perfect, however, is there any test to see
if my social security number is still hiding somewhere on my computer
or my mother's name is shown somewhere as my mother?

Mike

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 15:20:33 -0500, "Carey Frisch [MVP]"
<cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote:

>System Security Suite (3S) is a program designed to remove internet tracks
>and junk files from your computer. It allows you to delete Cookies,
>clear Internet Explorer Cache, delete index.dat Files, clear Typed URLs,
>Windows Temp Folder and much more.
>http://www.igorshpak.net/

Send me your hard drive and I'll check it for you.
Stop worry about people getting into your comp and stealing sensitive data.
You should be worried about companies where you provide that data to.
They have higher chance of being attacked by hackers than your home PC.
Why one would spend all the effort to hack into home PC and don't find what
he would use,
instead of company database. I'm not saying both are on same level of
protection, but it makes more sense to go after big database.
Read some news, as proof of what I said.

Mike Fox wrote:

> I try to keep personal financial info off my computer, but I'm not

Then use cash, checks, or personal, in person conversasions instead of a
computer where anything you can be had by simply stealing packets as
they ride the wires.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/