CD Writing Wizard

A customer of mine using an IBM NetVista with WinXP Pro is having issues with
the CD Burner. I have seen

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q324129

And she is getting the error "There is no disc in the drive, Please insert a
writable CD into Drive X". The problem with this is that it is intermittent.
Also when she gets this error while attempting to write to a CD, if she
reboots the PC and does the burning right away - it works fine. We've used
several different brands of media, updated the CD drivers and also this is
the 3rd Cd Burner we've put in the machine. Is there some kind of setting in
windows that could cause this? Kind of at a loss here and don't want to
charge her labor while I try this and that if someone has found a rock solid
solution to this. Would appreciate any ideas!

Thanks
7 answers Last reply
More about writing wizard

    Did you check to see if the write speed of the CD
    is supported by the write speed of the CD burner?

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "Cuervolush" wrote:

    | A customer of mine using an IBM NetVista with WinXP Pro is having issues with
    | the CD Burner. I have seen
    |
    | http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q324129
    |
    | And she is getting the error "There is no disc in the drive, Please insert a
    | writable CD into Drive X". The problem with this is that it is intermittent.
    | Also when she gets this error while attempting to write to a CD, if she
    | reboots the PC and does the burning right away - it works fine. We've used
    | several different brands of media, updated the CD drivers and also this is
    | the 3rd Cd Burner we've put in the machine. Is there some kind of setting in
    | windows that could cause this? Kind of at a loss here and don't want to
    | charge her labor while I try this and that if someone has found a rock solid
    | solution to this. Would appreciate any ideas!
    |
    | Thanks

    Yes the CD's normally already contain data of one sort or another. This
    customer is an accountant so when she backs up files she copy/paste and then
    "write to CD". This issue is intermittent enough to where one day she'll be
    able to write to the same cd all day then the next day she wont be able to
    write to them again at all unless she reboots and writes them immediately.
    This PC is clean of spyware and viruses etc.

    "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

    > Did you check to see if the write speed of the CD
    > is supported by the write speed of the CD burner?
    >
    > --
    > Carey Frisch
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP - Shell/User
    > Microsoft Newsgroups

    > "Cuervolush" wrote:
    >
    > | A customer of mine using an IBM NetVista with WinXP Pro is having issues with
    > | the CD Burner. I have seen
    > |
    > | http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q324129
    > |
    > | And she is getting the error "There is no disc in the drive, Please insert a
    > | writable CD into Drive X". The problem with this is that it is intermittent.
    > | Also when she gets this error while attempting to write to a CD, if she
    > | reboots the PC and does the burning right away - it works fine. We've used
    > | several different brands of media, updated the CD drivers and also this is
    > | the 3rd Cd Burner we've put in the machine. Is there some kind of setting in
    > | windows that could cause this? Kind of at a loss here and don't want to
    > | charge her labor while I try this and that if someone has found a rock solid
    > | solution to this. Would appreciate any ideas!
    > |
    > | Thanks

    Check for a Firmware flash update for the recording unit. Also,
    get the Nero Tool and use it to diagnose and analyze the drive's
    capabilities and media support.

    > Did you check to see if the write speed of the CD
    > is supported by the write speed of the CD burner?
    >
    > --
    > Carey Frisch
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP - Shell/User
    > Microsoft Newsgroups

    > "Cuervolush" wrote:
    >
    > | A customer of mine using an IBM NetVista with WinXP Pro is having issues
    > with
    > | the CD Burner. I have seen
    > |
    > | http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q324129
    > |
    > | And she is getting the error "There is no disc in the drive, Please
    > insert a
    > | writable CD into Drive X". The problem with this is that it is
    > intermittent.
    > | Also when she gets this error while attempting to write to a CD, if she
    > | reboots the PC and does the burning right away - it works fine. We've
    > used
    > | several different brands of media, updated the CD drivers and also this
    > is
    > | the 3rd Cd Burner we've put in the machine. Is there some kind of
    > setting in
    > | windows that could cause this? Kind of at a loss here and don't want to
    > | charge her labor while I try this and that if someone has found a rock
    > solid
    > | solution to this. Would appreciate any ideas!
    > |
    > | Thanks

    Will look for a firmware update tomorrow. But if that is the case, would it
    allow her to write only sometimes or fail every time?

    The drive is brand new, so it should be able to support pretty much
    everything a standard CD Burner would. This 3rd burner we purchashed straight
    from IBM a couple months ago - the last 2 she was using were different
    brands, one was a teac I remember.. but all 3 have come up with this same
    error.

    "R. McCarty" wrote:

    > Check for a Firmware flash update for the recording unit. Also,
    > get the Nero Tool and use it to diagnose and analyze the drive's
    > capabilities and media support.

    > > Did you check to see if the write speed of the CD
    > > is supported by the write speed of the CD burner?
    > >
    > > --
    > > Carey Frisch
    > > Microsoft MVP
    > > Windows XP - Shell/User
    > > Microsoft Newsgroups
    > >
    > > Get Windows XP Service Pack 2 with Advanced Security Technologies:
    > > http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/windowsxp/choose.mspx
    > >
    > > -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    > >
    > > "Cuervolush" wrote:
    > >
    > > | A customer of mine using an IBM NetVista with WinXP Pro is having issues
    > > with
    > > | the CD Burner. I have seen
    > > |
    > > | http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q324129
    > > |
    > > | And she is getting the error "There is no disc in the drive, Please
    > > insert a
    > > | writable CD into Drive X". The problem with this is that it is
    > > intermittent.
    > > | Also when she gets this error while attempting to write to a CD, if she
    > > | reboots the PC and does the burning right away - it works fine. We've
    > > used
    > > | several different brands of media, updated the CD drivers and also this
    > > is
    > > | the 3rd Cd Burner we've put in the machine. Is there some kind of
    > > setting in
    > > | windows that could cause this? Kind of at a loss here and don't want to
    > > | charge her labor while I try this and that if someone has found a rock
    > > solid
    > > | solution to this. Would appreciate any ideas!
    > > |
    > > | Thanks

    Then this issue isn't hardware related directly with the drive. Which
    program is she using to write data to the disks ? This sounds more
    like an application error or something with the IDE channel or cable
    it's on. You might want to check the jumpering and also try to use
    the device as a single drive on the Secondary IDE controller. First
    off I would check for any updates to the writing software if it's 3rd
    party and not the built-in XP burning facility.

    "Cuervolush" <Cuervolush@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Will look for a firmware update tomorrow. But if that is the case, would
    > it
    > allow her to write only sometimes or fail every time?
    >
    > The drive is brand new, so it should be able to support pretty much
    > everything a standard CD Burner would. This 3rd burner we purchashed
    > straight
    > from IBM a couple months ago - the last 2 she was using were different
    > brands, one was a teac I remember.. but all 3 have come up with this same
    > error.
    >
    > "R. McCarty" wrote:
    >
    >> Check for a Firmware flash update for the recording unit. Also,
    >> get the Nero Tool and use it to diagnose and analyze the drive's
    >> capabilities and media support.
    >>
    >> "Carey Frisch [MVP]" <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote in message
    >> > Did you check to see if the write speed of the CD
    >> > is supported by the write speed of the CD burner?
    >> >
    >> > --
    >> > Carey Frisch
    >> > Microsoft MVP
    >> > Windows XP - Shell/User
    >> > Microsoft Newsgroups
    >> >
    >> > Get Windows XP Service Pack 2 with Advanced Security Technologies:
    >> > http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/windowsxp/choose.mspx
    >> >
    >> > -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    >> > issues
    >> > with

    >> > insert a
    >> > intermittent.
    >> > she
    >> > used
    >> > this
    >> > is
    >> > setting in
    >> > rock
    >> > solid

    Yes, she is getting this error when using XP burning.

    "R. McCarty" wrote:

    > Then this issue isn't hardware related directly with the drive. Which
    > program is she using to write data to the disks ? This sounds more
    > like an application error or something with the IDE channel or cable
    > it's on. You might want to check the jumpering and also try to use
    > the device as a single drive on the Secondary IDE controller. First
    > off I would check for any updates to the writing software if it's 3rd
    > party and not the built-in XP burning facility.
    >
    > "Cuervolush" <Cuervolush@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Will look for a firmware update tomorrow. But if that is the case, would
    > > it
    > > allow her to write only sometimes or fail every time?
    > >
    > > The drive is brand new, so it should be able to support pretty much
    > > everything a standard CD Burner would. This 3rd burner we purchashed
    > > straight
    > > from IBM a couple months ago - the last 2 she was using were different
    > > brands, one was a teac I remember.. but all 3 have come up with this same
    > > error.
    > >
    > > "R. McCarty" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Check for a Firmware flash update for the recording unit. Also,
    > >> get the Nero Tool and use it to diagnose and analyze the drive's
    > >> capabilities and media support.
    > >>
    > >> "Carey Frisch [MVP]" <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote in message

    Try a new 80 wire ide ribbon cable on for size.

    > A customer of mine using an IBM NetVista with WinXP Pro is having issues
    with
    > the CD Burner. I have seen
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q324129
    >
    > And she is getting the error "There is no disc in the drive, Please insert
    > writable CD into Drive X". The problem with this is that it is
    intermittent.
    > Also when she gets this error while attempting to write to a CD, if she
    > reboots the PC and does the burning right away - it works fine. We've used
    > several different brands of media, updated the CD drivers and also this is
    > the 3rd Cd Burner we've put in the machine. Is there some kind of setting
    in
    > windows that could cause this? Kind of at a loss here and don't want to
    > charge her labor while I try this and that if someone has found a rock
    solid
    > solution to this. Would appreciate any ideas!
    >
    > Thanks

Burner CD-Rom Windows XP