Switching MB's. Existing RAID Question?

jmb628

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2004
Hello, I am currently running a 3.0Ghz P4 on a Intel PERLL board. I have created a raid array and am going to upgrade to a AMD64 3400+ chip on the ASUS Sk8V board. Do I have to creat my Raid Array because of the new chip and MB? Can I Just move the hard drives over and put in the new MB and Chip? How should I do this without loosing all my HD?

Thanks for your time.

gothitbycar

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2002
You should back up all important data and game saves etc. You're going to have to reinstall windows. You may get away with it if its similiar mobo's but going from Intel to AMD is going to cause problems.

By they way, you may run into some problems. The 3400+ is a s754 processor, the sk8v is a s940 mobo.

One more thing, that isn't really an upgrade. Your going to see a 6-7% increase in games and if you do much encoding your going to see a drop in performance. I know the PERLL isnt the best performing board but that upgrade isn't worth it (unless you're getting it for free.) If you want better perfomance try upgrading your video card or adding more or faster ram.

-----------------------
[mind went blank]