Odd sorting with XP Pro

Rich

Say I have 5 music files in a folder and I select them all to play, ctrl-a,
then right click and say play (in either Winamp, or Media Player 10) and
what I get is file 5 on top and starting to play and then 1-4 below it. This
happens on all my XP Pro computers. I have searched Google news groups and
can only find that other people are having a similar problem but I have yet
to find a solution.

Thanks for any help, Rich

And the problem is?

Rich wrote:

> Say I have 5 music files in a folder and I select them all to play, ctrl-a,
> then right click and say play (in either Winamp, or Media Player 10) and
> what I get is file 5 on top and starting to play and then 1-4 below it. This
> happens on all my XP Pro computers. I have searched Google news groups and
> can only find that other people are having a similar problem but I have yet
> to find a solution.
>
> Thanks for any help, Rich

Rich

The problem is it doesn't play 1-5 as expected it plays 5, 1, 2, 3, 4. I
would like them to play in the order that I sorted them in, in this case
1-5.

Rich

> And the problem is?
>
> Rich wrote:
>
>> Say I have 5 music files in a folder and I select them all to play,
>> ctrl-a, then right click and say play (in either Winamp, or Media Player
>> 10) and what I get is file 5 on top and starting to play and then 1-4
>> below it. This happens on all my XP Pro computers. I have searched Google
>> news groups and can only find that other people are having a similar
>> problem but I have yet to find a solution.
>>
>> Thanks for any help, Rich

How are the songs named ? In my own Wma collection, my
songs are named 'Artist (Last, First) - "Song Title".Wma'. This
way my sorting order is always by artitst. I just did a five song
selection and Play (Windows Media) & it loaded in alphabetical
order. Maybe you should re-post the question in the Windows
Media group or give us a little more details.

> Say I have 5 music files in a folder and I select them all to play,
> ctrl-a, then right click and say play (in either Winamp, or Media Player
> 10) and what I get is file 5 on top and starting to play and then 1-4
> below it. This happens on all my XP Pro computers. I have searched Google
> news groups and can only find that other people are having a similar
> problem but I have yet to find a solution.
>
> Thanks for any help, Rich

it happens in 98 too when you shift-select files for playing in winamp.
select the files one at a time

"Alan Smith" <alan@hidden.email> wrote in message

> "Rich" <dontbotherme@work.com> wrote in message
>> Say I have 5 music files in a folder and I select them all to play,
>> ctrl-a, then right click and say play (in either Winamp, or Media Player
>> 10) and what I get is file 5 on top and starting to play and then 1-4
>> below it. This happens on all my XP Pro computers. I have searched Google
>> news groups and can only find that other people are having a similar
>> problem but I have yet to find a solution.
>>
>> Thanks for any help, Rich
>>

> it happens in 98 too when you shift-select files for playing in winamp.
> select the files one at a time

Or try selecting from bottom to top.

The last thing clicked is the number 1 object.

"Rich" <dontbotherme@work.com> wrote in message news:42c3089a$0$14239$9a6e19ea@unlimited.newshosting.com...
> Say I have 5 music files in a folder and I select them all to play, ctrl-a,
> then right click and say play (in either Winamp, or Media Player 10) and
> what I get is file 5 on top and starting to play and then 1-4 below it. This
> happens on all my XP Pro computers. I have searched Google news groups and
> can only find that other people are having a similar problem but I have yet
> to find a solution.
>
> Thanks for any help, Rich

Rich

I found kind of a solution in the Winamp fourms, why Windows behaves this
way is beyond me. If I select the five files that I want and click anywhere
in the list the file the mouse was actually on is loaded at the top then the
rest are sorted by name after that so the work around it to select the files
that I want then move the mouse to the first file and all is well.

Thanks for the help, Rich