Quantity over configuration?

Impetus27

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2004
Previously I had 2 sticks of 256 PC3200 in dual channel mode on my P4P800.

I ordered 2 sticks of 512 to slot in there and unfortuantely one of the sticks was bad. I put in the one stick of 512 along with the other 2 and obviously I can't run in dual channel mode.

Synthetic bench marks show a slight decrease in scorew ~80ish points on 3Dmark03, but game play seems to be improved in a few games that had slight stutters before.

So my question would be, would it really be worth getting the second stick RMA'd and returned? Would would the additional performance be that much of a huge increase running in dual channel that I'd really want to get the second stick returned instead of just refunded?

CrucialLabs

Distinguished
May 20, 2004
Dual channel is slightly over rated. I would stick with what you have and RMA the other module. If the current configuration is working well and you are satisfied with the results return the bad one.

Crucial Performance Lab

www.crucial.com
The Memory Experts(SM) at Crucial Technology is now on board to give you straight answers to your memory-related questions.
cpl@micron.com

Impetus27

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2004
Thanks for the advice :)

The other stick works fine and while it does not run in dual channel, there is a remarkable difference in games that I was hitting stutters before (WoW Beta at the moment).

I'll stick with the single stick for now, my current rig should get me through a year or so of decent gaming and worry about upgrading again down the road when PCI-E and everything else is becomming more standard =D

TRENDING THREADS