Some Characters...

Tags:
  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
August 2, 2005 4:00:52 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.gurps (More info?)

For reasons I'll get to eventually, I've decided to post some
characters from various 'settings' of my general universe (i.e.
Atlantis, NEMESIS, etc). Some will seem quite mundane, though, esp.
those from the 1914-1945 setting. 'Seem' might be the operative word
in some cases, though.

NAME: NATHANIEL DONALD CONNERS (Born March 23 1895)
HAIR: BROWN
EYES: BLUE
HEIGHT: 6'1"
WEIGHT: 190-210 lbs (varies)
SETTING: 1914-45 (this version is specific to early 1941)

IQ 13
DX 13
ST 13
HT 13

Appearance [Attractive]
Wealth [Comfortable (varies)]
Reputation [Honest Businessman]

ADVANTAGES:

Alertness (2)
Acute Hearing (1)
Acute Vision (1)
Combat Reflexes
Common Sense
Night Vision
Strong Will (3)
Contacts (10 pts worth)
Less Sleep (1)
Patron (A branch of U.S. Army Intelligence)
Area Knowledge
Florida (13)
Caribbean (13)
France/Germany (13)
Hidden Lore
Florida/Caribbean/Gulf Coast secrets (13)
Atlantean Lore (12)

DISADVANTAGES:
Alcoholic ('on the wagon')
Intolerance (peace activists)
Lecherous (1/3) (worth -5 pts, reacts to V Beautiful as Beautiful,
Beautiful as Attractive, etc, +2 on Will rolls to resist)
Secret (freelance intelligence work, sometimes borderline or fully
illegal)
Nightmares Lesser

Dependent(s)
Niece (Elisabeth Conners, average adolescent, appears very often)
Girlfriend (Helen McNeill, competent adult, appears often)

Enemies
Edward Cole (competent adult, appears occasionally)
'The Marquis' (very competent and powerful, appears sometimes)

QUIRKS:
1. Always goes armed away from home.
2. Quietly patriotic, distrusts 'loudly' patriotic individuals.
3. Carries a bullet that was dug out of his thigh in the Great War as a
souvenir.
4. Distrusts bankers/financiers (and the ilk)
5. Protective of children (not strong enough to be a full Sense of
Duty)

SKILLS (all technical/weapon skills at TL6):
Riding (15)
Teamster (15)
Dancing (14)
Writing (13)
Baseball (13)
Swimming (16)
Brawling (15)
Gunner [Machine Gun] (15)
Guns (17)
Knife (16)
Cooking (15)
Language(s)
English (17)
French (12)
German (11)
(NOTE: French and German are spoken understandably but with heavy
American accent.)
First Aid (15)
Navigation (18)
Survival [Ocean] (16)
Accounting (16)
History (13)
Carousing (15)
Fast-Talk (12)
Leadership (18)
Merchant (16)
Tactics (18)
Detect Lies (16)
Escape (14)
Holdout (16)
Lockpicking (16)
Streetwise (17)
Driving (15)
Boating (18)
Powerboat (18)
Orienteering (16)

Nathaniel Conners started out as a farm boy. Born on a rural farm in
Illinois, he moved with his parents at the age of 10 to New York City,
when his father found work there, leaving his father's older brother
Paul to run the family farm (which was never hugely profitable, but did
provide a living for the family 'back home').

The farm boy adapted to the big city reasonably well, and found himself
running the streets as often as he was in classes. His parents worked
to support the family (Nathaniel had four siblings) in a time when
working conditions for the urban laborer might charitably be
characterized as 'sub-optimal'. This left Nathaniel to largely
supervise himself and his younger siblings much of the time.

He was quite lucky in some ways, however, gifted with a healthy body
and a quick mind. He was able to go to school through high school,
something that was far rarer in his time than later, and he learned
fast. Several teachers actually took note of the unusual student, and
he would probably have done better academically than he did, had it not
been for his habit of hanging out with a bad crowd.

A turning point in his life came when America entered World War I, and
like many a young man of his time and place, Conners found himself
swept up in the furor. Young Conners was a mixture of streetsmart and
idealistic, and that mixture led him into the service. Enlisting in the
U.S. Army, a young Conners was thrown into the meat grinder of one of
the nastiest wars in Terran history.

The Great War had already been raging for some years by the time the
United States entered it, and Conners rapidly found his idealism burned
away by the ugly realities of the trenches. Conners had enlisted among
a dozen of his school friends, and within six months of his arrival in
France, five of the twelve were dead and one was crippled for life.

Conners proved to be a survivor, and a capable one. By the time the
Great War ended, he had received a battlefield commission as a
lieutenant, and through a chain of unlikely events came to be in
command of a team of veterans who did a number of 'unusual' missions.
Though the initial idealism did not last long, Conners found that
military life, even in wartime, did suit him in some ways, he 'fit'
there.

The end of the Great War led to Conners mustering out, along with the
other survivors, and Conners apparently returned to the United States,
drifting from job to job before coming to settle in Florida, where he
operated a very small shipping business that was modestly successful.

In actuality, Conners remained an unofficial employee of the U.S.
Government, specifically U.S. Army Intelligence.

MORE LATER.

Shermanlee

More about : characters

Anonymous
August 2, 2005 4:07:42 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.gurps (More info?)

Note that the stats and skills given are for Conners in 1941, when he
is nearly a 400 pt character. For earlier periods, the point totals
and skills were lower. He was about a 150 point character in 1925, for
ex. Of course his stats are all naturally high, which adds to the
point totals.
Anonymous
August 7, 2005 3:17:49 PM

Johnny1a wrote:

> In actuality, Conners remained an unofficial employee of the U.S.
> Government, specifically U.S. Army Intelligence.
>
> MORE LATER.
>
> Shermanlee

There was a great deal going on during the Great War and the period
after it that didn't make it into the history books (or at least, not
the ones most people read). For example, in 1917 Conners had an
encounter with a German psion who nearly killed his entire platoon.

(The official report credited the weather for the losses.)

It was also during this period, and partly as a result of that
incident, that Conners came into contact with an officer in Army
Intelligence, from whom he learned of the former existence of Atlantis.
They did not know much about the matter, but they had learned that
Atlantis was more than just a story in Plato. This was not the only
thing Conners learned from Major Robert McLaird, he also learned of a
good many other odd things.

In the 20s and 30s, Conners led an unofficial unit of Army
Intelligence, all of them officially civilians, former soldiers in the
Great War, many of them from Conners' old unit. Along with
'unofficial' work for Army Intelligence, they also did mercenary work
for various employers, with strict standards of what constituted an
acceptable employer and an acceptable job.

They 'headquartered' in Florida, but their jobs took them all over the
world, from Siberia to South Africa to Australia to (on three separate
occasions in the '30s) Antarctica. Many of these places were far less
well known, and harder to reach, in the tween-Wars era than in the
Modern era, and Conners and his team saw some remarkable things.

In the meantime, Conners' four siblings (he was the eldest) had grown
up, and Conners himself got married in 1923, to Sarah Adams Smith, a
young woman from Georgia. They were together only five years, however,
before his wife was murdered by an enemy of Conners', an individual
they knew only by an assigned code name: 'the Marquis'. While they had
certainly seen and dealt with him, they had no idea of his real name,
goals, or origin, save that he had worked for Germany in the Great War.

Sarah's painful death in 1928 left Conners somewhat embittered. For
the next three years he threw himself into his work, especially
focusing on his search for anything he could find about the Marquis,
since he rather wanted to discuss his wife's fate with the man. It was
also during the period after his wife's murder that his alcohol intake,
already higher than health and sense would have called prudent, got out
of hand.

Scotch became his crutch of choice during this period, though he wasn't
necessarily choosy. His alcoholism was such that he could still
_function_ professionally, both in his 'cover' and his real work, and
at least acceptably in his personal life, but it was worsening
throughout the late 20s.

The search for revenge and the growing dependence on booze might have
ended up consuming Conners, except for two things: the intervention of
his friend and superior Robert McLaird, and the arrival of Elisabeth
Conners.

MORE LATER.

Shermanlee
August 8, 2005 3:04:50 AM

Johnny1a wrote:

> The search for revenge and the growing dependence on booze might have
> ended up consuming Conners, except for two things: the intervention of
> his friend and superior Robert McLaird, and the arrival of Elisabeth
> Conners.
>
> MORE LATER.
>

> Shermanlee

McLaird was Conners' contact in the formal apparat of the U.S. Federal
Government, still a commissioned officer assigned to Army Intelligence.
He was also Conners' friend, and in early 1930 McLaird paid his friend
a visit, to engage in what today would be called an 'intervention'.
This occurred in the wee hours of a February morning, and by the time
it was over both men were bruised and exhausted...and Conners had
agreed that he had to take steps to deal with his problem.

That alone did not fix anything, of course, but it was the first step.
Conners would wrestle with his alcoholism for the rest of his life, but
in time he managed to 'get sober', and stay that way for a long time.

This was just in time, because Conners was about to gain a new
responsibility in life that would require the attention that had been
going into the alcohol. Conner's younger brother Neil Conners had moved
from New York City back to Illinois in the early 20s, to help his
childless aunt and uncle run the family farm. He had married a local
girl and taken ownership of the farm when their aunt and uncle had died
in 1924.

Their daughter Elisabeth Conners had been born in 1923, and had grown
up in Conners' original hometown in Illinois. Things seemed to be
going well for that branch of the Conners family, until the drought of
1931 struck them low.

Drought was a common theme in the United States in the 30s, most
famously in the Dust Bowl in Oklahoma and the surrounding area, but in
fact much of the rest of the country was also unusually dry in those
years. One of Illinois' worst droughts in the 20th Century came in
1930-31. Crop yields were devastated.

The Conners farm was no exception. Their crops withered, and the
market prices were already low because of the nation-wide (and
planet-wide) Great Depression, which had begun in 1929. The Conners
farm was extensively mortgaged at the start of the Depression, the
combination of the depressed markets and the devastated crop proved too
much. The bank foreclosed on the farm in 1931.

What Nathaniel Conners knew was that there was more to the foreclosure
than met the eye. The Conners family had a rivalry with the Cole
family in their old hometown, a rivalry going back several generations
to the settlement of the region. It had usually been a relatively
friendly rivalry, and there had even been an occasional marriage
between the extended families over the years, but in the person of
Edward Cole the rivalry had turned bitter.

Edward Cole harbored a hatred for the Conners family. Nathaniel, who
had moved to New York City at age ten, had no idea of the details of
why, but he knew from his parents and his deceased aunt and uncle, and
from his brother, that Cole had caused problems for the extended
Conners family more than once. Unfortunately, he was the bank manager
of the bank that held the lien on Neil Conners' family farm.

When the financial crunch of the Depression and the drought finally
brought the desperate Conners' to the brink, Cole was there to give the
last push. He saw to it that the mortgage was foreclosed, going out of
his way to close any source of relief that Neil Conners might have been
able to call upon to save the farm (and his livelihood).

Supposedly, the story ended in 1933 when Neil Conners and his wife had
been killed in a freak accident. That was what most people were told,
anyway. What Nathaniel learned from people in his hometown was that
his brother had actually committed suicide, accidentally taking his
wife with him in the process. [1][2]

This left Elisabeth Conners orphaned at the age of ten. The only
relative she had in a financial position to be able to care for her was
Nathaniel, who now found himself in the position of raising his niece.
She moved to Florida with her uncle, leaving behind the life she had
known in Illinois.

MORE LATER.

Shermanlee

[1]Thus his quirk of distrust for bankers and financiers, since Edward
Cole had driven his brother to suicide. Not that this sort of distrust
was at all rare in the Great Depression.

[2]As far as Nathaniel could learn, his sister-in-law's death genuinely
was accidental. His brother had used carbon monoxide to end his life,
not realizing that his wife was also in the same enclosed area at the
time.
Anonymous
August 8, 2005 9:39:33 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.gurps (More info?)

Fascinating. It's cool to see this story coming full circle back to
Earth.

Mike Miller, Materials Engineer
Anonymous
August 9, 2005 12:13:38 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.gurps (More info?)

What? Are you saind that the Marquis killed Sarah Conners?

We're DOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMEDDDD!
Anonymous
August 9, 2005 4:07:04 PM

Bryan J. Maloney wrote:
> What? Are you saind that the Marquis killed Sarah Conners?
>
> We're DOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMEDDDD!

Relax! He murdered Sarah Conn_ers_, not Conn_or_. Everything's cool.
:)

Shermanlee
Anonymous
August 9, 2005 11:45:45 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.gurps (More info?)

On 9 Aug 2005 12:07:04 -0700, "Johnny1a" <shermanlee1@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Bryan J. Maloney wrote:
>> What? Are you saind that the Marquis killed Sarah Conners?
>>
>> We're DOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMEDDDD!
>
>Relax! He murdered Sarah Conn_ers_, not Conn_or_. Everything's cool.
>:)

Except for Sarah Conners, of course...

--
Rob Kelk Personal address (ROT-13): eboxryx -ng- tznvy -qbg- pbz
"As far as Doug is concerned, "dignity" is just a tragic disease that

Rob Kelk wrote:
> On 9 Aug 2005 12:07:04 -0700, "Johnny1a" <shermanlee1@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>

> >Bryan J. Maloney wrote:
> >> What? Are you saind that the Marquis killed Sarah Conners?
> >>
> >> We're DOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMEDDDD!
> >
> >Relax! He murdered Sarah Conn_ers_, not Conn_or_. Everything's cool.
> >:)
>
> Except for Sarah Conners, of course...
>
> --

Yeah, but it has been 77 years, after all...
!