Workgroup computers not always showing up in Network Places

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Specs: 3 PCs running XP-Pro,SP2 on a wired network.

When I open Network Places and then select View Workgroup Computers I will
see my current PC and one or two of the others. Sometimes I see both,
sometimes neither or one or the other. There seems to be no consistency to
which one(s) I will see. Sometimes I will see neither of the other two and
then they will randomly pop up after a while. Is there something obvious
that controls this? I do not change settings or anything to affect this.

Thanks!

In article <xZWdnWG7iYblkV7fRVn-2g@comcast.com>, "Bob"
<bob1030@hotmail.com> wrote:
>Specs: 3 PCs running XP-Pro,SP2 on a wired network.
>
>When I open Network Places and then select View Workgroup Computers I will
>see my current PC and one or two of the others. Sometimes I see both,
>sometimes neither or one or the other. There seems to be no consistency to
>which one(s) I will see. Sometimes I will see neither of the other two and
>then they will randomly pop up after a while. Is there something obvious
>that controls this? I do not change settings or anything to affect this.
>
>Thanks!

I sympathize with you, Bob. Browsing through My Network Places is
often unreliable in Windows XP, and trying to get it to work can be
more trouble than it's worth.

You can abandon My Network Places and access other computers directly.
Here are some ways:

1. Type the name of the other computer in the Start | Run box in this
format: \\computer

2. Create a desktop shortcut to the other computer:

a. Right-click the desktop and click New | Shortcut.

b. Specify the location of the item in this form: \\computer
--
Best Wishes,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

Al

WHEW! I thought it was only me that had those problems....................

Bob wrote:

> Specs: 3 PCs running XP-Pro,SP2 on a wired network.
>

> When I open Network Places and then select View Workgroup Computers I will
> see my current PC and one or two of the others. Sometimes I see both,
> sometimes neither or one or the other. There seems to be no consistency
> which one(s) I will see. Sometimes I will see neither of the other two
> and
> then they will randomly pop up after a while. Is there something obvious
> that controls this? I do not change settings or anything to affect this.
>
> Thanks!

The master browser and it will depend on which computer has that status,
when it gets it and when it refreshes its info.

--
Get Microsoft PowerToys for Windows XP here:
"A must-have for your Toy Operating System"