Connect laptop to Wide LCD Monitor?

I am currently using a labtop and intend to buy an external wide screen LCD monitor to connect to it. I do not intend to buy a PC with proper graphic card for now.

If I connect my laptop to a wide screen LCD monitor (e.g. 1680x1050 pixel), will the screen display properly? My lanbtop current max resolution is 1024x768 pixel. Will the picture/display distorted?

I will really appreciate any input because I do not want to spend few hundred dollar to buy an expensive LCD monitor and end up seeing an distorted picture.

Thank you
6 answers Last reply
More about connect laptop wide monitor
  1. If you have use your VGA port, and your graphic card supports the widescreen size you use, then it will fit fine.
    Usually you can resize the second monitor to find a supported resolution.
  2. Quote:
    I am currently using a labtop and intend to buy an external wide screen LCD monitor to connect to it. I do not intend to buy a PC with proper graphic card for now.

If I connect my laptop to a wide screen LCD monitor (e.g. 1680x1050 pixel), will the screen display properly? My lanbtop current max resolution is 1024x768 pixel. Will the picture/display distorted?

I will really appreciate any input because I do not want to spend few hundred dollar to buy an expensive LCD monitor and end up seeing an distorted picture.

Thank you

Can you take your laptop to a computer store, plug a floor model into it, and run some games you like? Then you'll know.
  3. Quote:

Thank you

Can you take your laptop to a computer store, plug a floor model into it, and run some games you like? Then you'll know.

I guess that's the best way to tell. The graphic card web site does not specify what resolution they support.
  4. I check on the display property of my labtop without the external LCD monitor and noticed that the following resolution is available :
    1024 x 768
    1280 x 768
    1280 x 1024
    1600 x 1200
    1792 x 1344 and so on .....

The standard 20" monitor is 1600 x 1200 which is on my Display option.
    However the 20" widescreen monitor 1680 x 1050 wasn't available on my Display option.

Does this means my laptop can't support 20" widescreen monitor ? or
    When I connect the 20" widescreen monitor, the 1680 x 1050 resolution will be available?

Thank you.
  5. Quote:
    I check on the display property of my labtop without the external LCD monitor and noticed that the following resolution is available :
    1024 x 768
    1280 x 768
    1280 x 1024
    1600 x 1200
    1792 x 1344 and so on .....

The standard 20" monitor is 1600 x 1200 which is on my Display option.
    However the 20" widescreen monitor 1680 x 1050 wasn't available on my Display option.

When I connect the 20" widescreen monitor, the 1680 x 1050 resolution will be available?

Thank you.

It probably means you can't run 1680x1050 resolution. Some video cards will allow user to input variable horizontal and vertical res... unlikely for a laptop, but you can check.

Widescreens are a relatively recent development... many older video cards were made before widescreen params were conceived, so won't be supported.

You'll want to run a monitor your video card supports at the monitor's native resolution....
  6. Quote:

What you are seeing are options for your laptop screen. When you plug in another monitor, it should then give you different options for it -- and if it doesn't give you the res you want, then you can probably manually enter it in.
Ask a new question

Read More

Flat Panel Monitors Laptops Connection LCD Monitor Peripherals