Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.gurps,rec.games.frp.misc (More info?)

I've been toying with getting into GURPS again, but I'm a bit confused
about what exactly I need for the Fourth Edition. Are both the
Characters and Campaigns books necessary? Or do I just need the one,
and if so, which one?

Also, just how compatible would GURPS Martial Arts be with the Fourth
Edition?

--

The majestic equality of the law forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread.

Anatole France

Comic book klatch: http://ibntumart.blogspot.com

In rec.games.frp.gurps Ibn Tumart <ibntumart@no.email> wrote:
> I've been toying with getting into GURPS again, but I'm a bit confused
> about what exactly I need for the Fourth Edition. Are both the
> Characters and Campaigns books necessary? Or do I just need the one,
> and if so, which one?

You need both, but if you get only one, get Characters.

> Also, just how compatible would GURPS Martial Arts be with the Fourth
> Edition?

Not very much, i'm afraid. Martial Arts is a very rules heavy book,
and although a lot of those ideas have survived into the 4th edition,
there will have to be completely revamped.

mcv.
--
"Serenity is a very personal work with political resonance and a
heartfelt message about the human condition and stuff blowing up."

mcv wrote:

>You need both, but if you get only one, get Characters.

Thanks for the advice---it's much appreciated. So the Characters
rulebook is somewhat like the Player's Guide in D&D, I take it, or am I
mistaken?

> Not very much, i'm afraid. Martial Arts is a very rules heavy book,
>
>and although a lot of those ideas have survived into the 4th edition,
>there will have to be completely revamped.

Pity. I had envisioned creating a couple of special martial arts for a
fantasy campaign, something royal guards or elite soldiers would
master. How different is the combat system from Third Edition rules?
Perhaps I could cobble something together myself....

--

In article <42f89fae$0$11066$e4fe514c@news.xs4all.nl>,
mcv <mcvmcv@xs4all.nl> wrote:
>In rec.games.frp.gurps Ibn Tumart <ibntumart@no.email> wrote:
>
>> Also, just how compatible would GURPS Martial Arts be with the Fourth
>> Edition?
>
>Not very much, i'm afraid. Martial Arts is a very rules heavy book,
>and although a lot of those ideas have survived into the 4th edition,
>there will have to be completely revamped.

On the plus side, much of the martial arts fanciness has been
integrated into the core system in the form of more general features.

"Harmony with the Tao" is now "Wild Talent", you can buy levels of
"Extra Attack" for extra attacks, there are core options to trade
attack skill for giving penalties to defense (Deceptive Attack) or
getting multiple attacks (Rapid Attack), etc.

Cheers
Bent D
--
Bent Dalager - bcd@pvv.org - http://www.pvv.org/~bcd