mn-500 problem

Last response: in Networking
July 4, 2004 4:09:14 AM

sometimes my mn-500 base just flashes orange in the power
section (disconnects) and then i have to reinstall the
whole thing again to get it working again. does anyone
know why it does this and how to fix it.
i didn't have this problem before, it just stared
recently. thanks.

pentium 2.80
winxp pro

More about : 500 problem

Anonymous
July 4, 2004 7:00:59 AM

Seems defective. When powered down, it should keep the
settings. If still under warranty ask for a replacement.

July 8, 2004 8:34:27 AM

funny, i have the exact same problem. about 3 years ago,
i purchased a microsoft MN-100, 4-port ethernet router. i
have had zero problems. in june, 2004 i was @ office max.
they had the microsoft MN-500 wireless base station on
sale for $29. last fall, i added an IBM Thinkpad R40 w/
Intel Centrino and figured i might as well try the MN-
500. for $29, how bad can it be? besides, i have used a
microsoft wired ethernet base station for over 3 years. i
followed all the installation steps and with the proper
WEP encryption and MAC ID's, i was off and running. my pc
tower and Apple G4 are both wired into the 4-port switch.
both the wired and wireless laptop connect, without a
glitch. but, after 30 minutes, wham! the router restarts
automatically and the orange power indicator blinks on &
off. this happened the first time i set-up the MN-500.
so, it blinked orange for about 30+ minutes, before i
physically recycled/restarted the router. about an hour
later, same thing (restart & orange light). needless to
say, after two weeks, i stopped using the MN-500. i
packed it up and put every piece back in the box. the
nice thing is, i am using my MN-100 wired ethernet base
station again. not a single problem. plus, i simply
plugged the power cord and ethernet cables back in &
presto all my previous custom security settings and
connections worked without any effort on my behalf. good
thing i have a small one bedroom apartment. for my
laptop, i just plug in the 50 foot ethernet cable, like
before. my real test will be once i set-up the other MN-
500 wireless base station for my parents. @ $29 each, i
bought one for my parents and one for myself. perhaps, my
parents will have better luck. just a long reply, to let
you know you are not alone. i will keep bugging microsoft
for assistance, since i am past office max's return
policy.
as we both figured out, the MN-500 is not so hot!

thanks

tom

phoenix, AZ

let me know if you figure anything new.