mn-500 problem

sometimes my mn-500 base just flashes orange in the power
section (disconnects) and then i have to reinstall the
whole thing again to get it working again. does anyone
know why it does this and how to fix it.
i didn't have this problem before, it just stared
recently. thanks.

pentium 2.80
winxp pro
2 answers Last reply
More about problem

    Seems defective. When powered down, it should keep the
    settings. If still under warranty ask for a replacement.

    funny, i have the exact same problem. about 3 years ago,
    i purchased a microsoft MN-100, 4-port ethernet router. i
    have had zero problems. in june, 2004 i was @ office max.
    they had the microsoft MN-500 wireless base station on
    sale for $29. last fall, i added an IBM Thinkpad R40 w/
    Intel Centrino and figured i might as well try the MN-
    500. for $29, how bad can it be? besides, i have used a
    microsoft wired ethernet base station for over 3 years. i
    followed all the installation steps and with the proper
    WEP encryption and MAC ID's, i was off and running. my pc
    tower and Apple G4 are both wired into the 4-port switch.
    both the wired and wireless laptop connect, without a
    glitch. but, after 30 minutes, wham! the router restarts
    automatically and the orange power indicator blinks on &
    off. this happened the first time i set-up the MN-500.
    so, it blinked orange for about 30+ minutes, before i
    physically recycled/restarted the router. about an hour
    later, same thing (restart & orange light). needless to
    say, after two weeks, i stopped using the MN-500. i
    packed it up and put every piece back in the box. the
    nice thing is, i am using my MN-100 wired ethernet base
    station again. not a single problem. plus, i simply
    plugged the power cord and ethernet cables back in &
    presto all my previous custom security settings and
    connections worked without any effort on my behalf. good
    thing i have a small one bedroom apartment. for my
    laptop, i just plug in the 50 foot ethernet cable, like
    before. my real test will be once i set-up the other MN-
    500 wireless base station for my parents. @ $29 each, i
    bought one for my parents and one for myself. perhaps, my
    parents will have better luck. just a long reply, to let
    you know you are not alone. i will keep bugging microsoft
    for assistance, since i am past office max's return
    policy.
    as we both figured out, the MN-500 is not so hot!

    thanks

    tom

    phoenix, AZ

    let me know if you figure anything new.