reformatting

June 29, 2005 8:04:03 PM

I need to reformat my hard-drive, but it says that I can't because it is the
system partition. Can I change this somehow so that I can reformat?

More about : reformatting

Anonymous
June 29, 2005 8:10:12 PM

"Laura" wrote:

> I need to reformat my hard-drive, but it says that I can't because it is the
> system partition. Can I change this somehow so that I can reformat?
Anonymous
June 29, 2005 8:10:14 PM

yes, boot up your computer in DOS mode and type in fdisk, from there you can
create and delete partitions

"Laura" wrote:

> I need to reformat my hard-drive, but it says that I can't because it is the
> system partition. Can I change this somehow so that I can reformat?
June 29, 2005 9:36:21 PM

Laura
If you are in possession of a XP CD you can format the HD during the
install.
XP will not let you format the drive it is installed on while you are in the
operating system.
So you need to set your CD as the 1st boot device in the BIOS and place the
XP CD in.
Reboot and watch for the message ...push any key to boot from CD.......Do
so.
This will start the XP installation and the option to format the drive
before installation.Here is a website with more details and a pictoral
instructions.
http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sg_clean...
peterk

the problem
"Laura" <Laura@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I need to reformat my hard-drive, but it says that I can't because it is
>the
> system partition. Can I change this somehow so that I can reformat?
Anonymous
June 29, 2005 10:20:27 PM

In news:6F9761B6-3D17-41A1-9A55-2748F4E03D83@microsoft.com,
Laura <Laura@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> I need to reformat my hard-drive, but it says that I can't
> because it
> is the system partition. Can I change this somehow so that I
> can
> reformat?

You can't format the Windows drive from within Windows, since
that would leave Windows without a leg to stand on.

Just boot from the Windows XP CD (change the BIOS boot order if
necessary to accomplish this) and follow the prompts for a clean
installation (delete the existing partition by pressing "D" when
prompted, then create a new one).

You can find detailed instructions here:

or here http://windowsxp.mvps.org/XPClean.htm

or here http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/clean_install.htm

However why do you think you need to reformat and reinstall? In
my view, it's usually a mistake. With a modicum of care, it
should never be necessary to reinstall Windows (XP or any other
version). I've run Windows 3.0, 3.1, WFWG 3.11, Windows 95,
Windows 98, Windows 2000, and Windows XP, each for the period of
time before the next version came out, and each on two machines
here. I never reinstalled any of them, and I have never had
anything more than an occasional minor problem.

It's my belief that this mistaken notion stems from the technical
support people at many of the larger OEMs. Their solution to
almost any problem they don't quickly know the answer to is
"reformat and reinstall." That's the perfect solution for them.
It gets you off the phone quickly, it almost always works, and it
doesn't require them to do any real troubleshooting (a skill that
most of them obviously don't possess in any great degree).

But it leaves you with all the work and all the problems. You
have to restore all your data backups, you have to reinstall all
your programs, you have to reinstall all the Windows and
application updates,you have to locate and install all the needed
drivers for your system, you have to recustomize Windows and all
your apps to work the way you're comfortable with.

Besides all those things being time-consuming and troublesome,
you may have trouble with some of them: can you find all your
application CDs? Can you find all the needed installation codes?
Do you have data backups to restore? Do you even remember all the
customizations and tweaks you may have installed to make
everything work the way you like?

Occasionally there are problems that are so difficult to solve
that Windows should be reinstalled cleanly. But they are few and
far between; reinstallation should not be a substitute for
troubleshooting; it should be a last resort, to be done only
after all other attempts at troubleshooting by a qualified person
have failed.

If you have problems, post them here; it's likely that someone
can help you and a reinstallation won't be required.

Please reply to the newsgroup
Anonymous
June 29, 2005 11:29:06 PM

Laura wrote:
> I need to reformat my hard-drive, but it says that I can't because it is the
> system partition. Can I change this somehow so that I can reformat?

It sounds like you're trying to format the drive containing the
system volume from within WinXP. You can't. This would be the computer
equivalent of sawing off the tree limb you're sitting on, and WinXP is
"too smart" to allow this.

Simply boot from the WinXP installation CD. You'll be offered the
installation process. (You may need to re-arrange the order of boot

HOW TO Install Windows XP

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH
Anonymous
June 29, 2005 11:32:32 PM

Computergeek wrote:
> yes, boot up your computer in DOS mode and type in fdisk, from there you can
> create and delete partitions

With a handle like "Computergeek," don't you think it would be a good
idea to know at least a little about the OS before offering advice?

First of all, there's no such thing as "DOS mode" on a WinXP
computer. The WinNT family of 32-bit graphical operating systems, of
which WinXP is the latest generation, has never used, included, or
"ridden upon" MS-DOS.

Further, FDisk is an old MS-DOS utility that is neither available or
needed in WinXP. All legitimate WinXP installation CDs are bootable and
have the capability of deleting, creating, and formatting partitions.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH
Anonymous
June 30, 2005 12:38:53 AM

Um, no, that's definitely not right.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Computergeek" <Computergeek@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> yes, boot up your computer in DOS mode and type in fdisk, from there you
> can
> create and delete partitions
>
> "Laura" wrote:
>
>> I need to reformat my hard-drive, but it says that I can't because it is
>> the
>> system partition. Can I change this somehow so that I can reformat?
Anonymous
June 30, 2005 12:42:14 AM

Hi Laura,

You can't format the system partition while it's in use. To format, you need
to boot with the WinXP CD and enter setup. At the point where you are asked
for the installation location, instead delete the existing system partition.
Then create a new one from the free space, format and proceed with the
installation.

Keep in mind that:

a) You will lose all existing data on that partition

b) You will need your Product Key to complete the new installation.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Laura" <Laura@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I need to reformat my hard-drive, but it says that I can't because it is
>the
> system partition. Can I change this somehow so that I can reformat?
Anonymous
June 30, 2005 12:45:42 AM

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 16:10:14 -0700, Computergeek
<Computergeek@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>"Laura" wrote:
>
>> I need to reformat my hard-drive, but it says that I can't because it is the
>> system partition. Can I change this somehow so that I can reformat?\

>yes, boot up your computer in DOS mode and type in fdisk, from there you can
>create and delete partitions

Hey computergeek:

Never, ever work on ANY computer within my site. You just gave the
most horrid advice.

1. Without an MS-DOS system disk, it isn't possible to do this.
2. FDISK must be on the above mentioned diskette.
3. Most folks don't have this stuff anymore.

The XP CD contains the tools necessary to do this job.
Anonymous
June 30, 2005 4:29:46 AM

Laura you are trying to format the drive from within windows and, as the
drive you are trying to format is drive C (the system disk) windows does not
allow you to do this.
As you are formatting your disk you are obviously attempting to reinstall
xp. Yes, as computergeek says you can use a windows 98/me startup disk and
then use fdisk, but fdisk is not a simple application to use, especially if
you haven't used it before.
If your pc came with a recovery disk then you can reinstall xp from that.
Alternatively, if you have a boxed retail version of xp then insert that
into your cd-rom and reboot your pc to install xp.
For further information visit my website http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
Click on the Win XP Faq button and take a look at the following questions:

7, How do i reformat my hard drive with xp
41, How do i partition and format my hard drive using xp set-up
85. How do i install windows xp

Before attempting to re-intsall make sure that you have backup copies of any
important documents/files etc that are on your pc. You should also make sure
you have the cd's available for any software that you had installed on your
pc and also any drivers that may be needed by windows xp.

--
John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert

!