Sign in with
Your question

Best 1680x1050 widescreen LCD for the money

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
November 6, 2006 1:00:39 PM

Hey,

I recently burnt out my trusty 19inch CRT and am in the market for a nice widescreen LCD. I've kinda narrowed my search down to 4 screens, but I'm always open to comments. If you know why not to buy one of these screens, or know of a better one I haven't thought of, let me know.

BenQ FP202W:
300cd/m² • 600:1 • 8ms • 140°/130° • Active Matrix, TFT LCD

LG Electronics Flatron L204WT:
300cd/m² • 2000:1 • 5ms • 160°/160° • Don't know which panel

Samsung SyncMaster 205BW:
300cd/m² • 700:1 • 6ms • 160°/160° • a-si TFT/TN

ViewSonic VX2025WM:
300cd/m² • 800:1 • 8ms • 176°/176° • Active Matrix, TFT LCD (MVA)

All of these screens (or their closest comparable models) have a 5+ rating on Newegg.

As I have no previous experience with any brand of LCD screens and this has to last me at least 2 or 3 years, I'd like to make sure I'm not making the wrong purchase.

As to my "demands" of the screen: I play no FPS games, at all. Graphically heavy RPG's like Oblivion and NeverWinter Nights 2 will be played a lot. I also watch a lot of series and DVD's.

The screens are all priced identical (~300€) except for the ViewSonic (400€). One site claimed it had an "MVA" panel, so I was wondering if this was worth the extra $100? Also, the LG's contrast seems special. Would this have a notable difference on image quality, or is it just a salestrick?

Thanks in advance for any help.

EDIT:

It just came to my attention that I can buy the comparable DELL models (E207WFP and 2007WFP) taxfree. This would still make them slightly more expensive, but I'm willing to pay the premium if these screens are worth it.

I'm not sure, but I thought the 2007WFP had an LG.Philips S-IPS panel. No idea about the E207 though.
November 6, 2006 2:45:22 PM

Quote:
Hey,

I recently burnt out my trusty 19inch CRT and am in the market for a nice widescreen LCD. I've kinda narrowed my search down to 4 screens, but I'm always open to comments. If you know why not to buy one of these screens, or know of a better one I haven't thought of, let me know.

BenQ FP202W:
300cd/m² • 600:1 • 8ms • 140°/130° • Active Matrix, TFT LCD

LG Electronics Flatron L204WT:
300cd/m² • 2000:1 • 5ms • 160°/160° • Don't know which panel

Samsung SyncMaster 205BW:
300cd/m² • 700:1 • 6ms • 160°/160° • a-si TFT/TN

ViewSonic VX2025WM:
300cd/m² • 800:1 • 8ms • 176°/176° • Active Matrix, TFT LCD (MVA)

All of these screens (or their closest comparable models) have a 5+ rating on Newegg.

As I have no previous experience with any brand of LCD screens and this has to last me at least 2 or 3 years, I'd like to make sure I'm not making the wrong purchase.

As to my "demands" of the screen: I play no FPS games, at all. Graphically heavy RPG's like Oblivion and NeverWinter Nights 2 will be played a lot. I also watch a lot of series and DVD's.

The screens are all priced identical (~300€) except for the ViewSonic (400€). One site claimed it had an "MVA" panel, so I was wondering if this was worth the extra $100? Also, the LG's contrast seems special. Would this have a notable difference on image quality, or is it just a salestrick?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Most "gamers" monitors have TN panels and are cheap. The MVA panel will be important if you value contrast and color fidelity.... the higher price of VA or IPS panels is worth the expense to all except gamers.

High Contrast Ratios are mostly "salestricks". You'll never actually experience 500:1, unless you run your computer in a darkened closet.... and maybe not even then!
!