geil ultra series value or Kingston Value Ram?

tomjonesrocks

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2004
I'm buying some memory for a new motherboard/processor I'm putting together. The motherboard will be a MSI PT880 Neo-LSR and the processor a Intel Pentium 4/ 2.8E GHz 800MHz FSB, 1MB L2 Cache, w/Hyper Threading Technology.

I won't be overclocking this system. Just want something that will run stable. But I'm trying not to spend more than I spent for the processor and mobo on RAM.

So I'm debating between a Kingston ValueRAM Dual Channel Kit 184 Pin 1G(512MBx2) DDR PC-3200 or Geil Ultra Series Value Dual Channel 184 Pin 1GB(512MBx2) DDR PC-3200 RAM.

I sort of like the way the Geil RAM looks better and it has a heatspreader--but still that's small potatoes.

Any suggestions on which might be the better choice would be appreciated.

Also--is there any reason to buy a "Dual" kit if the 256MB sticks sold separately are cheaper?

Any help would be appreciated.

gothitbycar

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2002
Scrap the 2.8E and get a 2.8C. It's faster in most applications, will save you a few dollars and runs cooler to boot.

I have Geil ram with that neat looking heat spreader (though it does jack) and I like it. I am able to run it at CL 2.0 when it was rated at CL 2.5.

I looked for it online and its cheaper than the Kingston, both have lifetime warrantys and if you have a case window Geil's will look bad ass.

Reason "dual" kits are more than buying sticks alone is that they are "verfied" at the factory to run stably with each other at the same clock latency.

-----------------------
[mind went blank]

tomjonesrocks

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2004
Thanks. I actually did order 2.8c--just to update. That was a typo. I was going to order the "e" and then I found out (apparently) the Northwood processor is more compatible with this mobo than the Prescott (even though the Prescott is supposed to be supported).

Didn't know it ran cooler as well though. Thanks!