One Last Look: ASRock And MSI Preview P55 Motherboards

Status
Not open for further replies.
[citation][nom]dingumf[/nom]Yea MSI still isn't a respectable company after what I've seen from the TV tuner I bought from them.[/citation]

ever heard of a Geforce4 Ti4200 overheating? or a cd burner that burns once and requires a reboot to work again? dont get me started on how shoddy there products are.

JeanLuc

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2002
A Ti4200? That's was launched in 2002, get over it. MSI has some really neat products especially when it comes to motherboards, in fact they currently have the best AM3 board on the market so if there recent success with AMD chipsets can be carried over to Intel chipsets we should see a good range of top quality boards from the launch of P55.

viometrix

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2009
any really good tech enthusiast wouldnt use msi anyways....theyd go with evga, asus, and some supermicro products... msi is just too low end or mainstream for me. being the fact that i ran the rma dept for a computer company i worked for, we had to send msi products back for repair or replacement 5 to 1 versus other products for other manufacturers. so say what you want, i am stating a failure rate that is practical in the industry

origosis

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
I think it makes some sense to put alot of work into the P55 boards. It might make it cost more then the 1366 boards, but people like me like the idea of taking an $80 part and making it run faster then the $600-$900 i7.. Is it possible? I dunno. But if we can spend $200 on a p55 board and spend $50-$200 on an i5 and get it running close to the i7 975... Then that makes sense to have these expensive p55's... a niche? i don't think so. Probably a pretty big crowd these days. Look at how well the AMD's with hidden cores sell.

[citation][nom]VioMeTriX[/nom]any really good tech enthusiast wouldnt use msi anyways....theyd go with evga, asus, and some supermicro products... msi is just too low end or mainstream for me. being the fact that i ran the rma dept for a computer company i worked for, we had to send msi products back for repair or replacement 5 to 1 versus other products for other manufacturers. so say what you want, i am stating a failure rate that is practical in the industry[/citation]

Exactly right and agree there, and reguardless of trolls voting down facts are facts

[citation][nom]zipzoomflyhigh[/nom]I've used 6 MSI boards and currently have a MSI HD4850. Never had a problem with any of them.[/citation]

You either work for MSI or are lucky

[citation][nom]zipzoomflyhigh[/nom]You recommend EVGA, a company that just started making mobo's a couple years ago over MSI, ROFL.[/citation]

ROFL @ MSI being recomended

As for ASUS - I must have sold atleast 1000 P5GC-MX, P5GC-MX/1333, P5KPL-CM and P5KPL-AMPS over the last few years and only seen ~5 with any issues, for a budget motherboard there second to none, and have a decent Intel chipset.

meatwad53186

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2009
[citation][nom]JeanLuc[/nom]A Ti4200? That's was launched in 2002, get over it. MSI has some really neat products especially when it comes to motherboards, in fact they currently have the best AM3 board on the market so if there recent success with AMD chipsets can be carried over to Intel chipsets we should see a good range of top quality boards from the launch of P55.[/citation]

Lol @ "MSI" having the best AM3 board. I'm sure it's not a horrible board, especially for the price, but when a Crosshair III can be had for $35 more or the M4A79T Deluxe for $24 more, why would you even consider the GD70?

Can you PLEASE get your hands on a i5 ASUS or GIGABYTE board (or EVGA). I am 90% sure I will NOT buy any other manufacture boards for OCing (esp. MSI). May buy a Foxconn for Dice/LN2 run as they seem pretty decent for that kind of work for the price.

cangelini

Contributing Editor
Editor
Jul 4, 2008
[citation][nom]Shadow703793[/nom]Can you PLEASE get your hands on a i5 ASUS or GIGABYTE board (or EVGA). I am 90% sure I will NOT buy any other manufacture boards for OCing (esp. MSI). May buy a Foxconn for Dice/LN2 run as they seem pretty decent for that kind of work for the price.[/citation]

Between Asus and GB, I think we've previewed somewhere around 5 or 6 boards already ;-)

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Why are these P55 boards at near $200 prices? One word: Intel's Core i7 multi-socket naming fiasco.

Ok, that was a lot more than 1 word, but the simple fact of the matter is, they'll be able to market these boards as Core i7-capable boards. People who don't know as much will see Core i7, the list of features, and compare those to $200 x58 boards, and think they're getting a bargain, not realizing the Core i7 for LGA1155 is different from the Core i7 for LGA1366.

Its like people who buy a brand new GeForce 250GT to replace their "outdated" GeForce 8800GTX.

razorblaze42

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2009
I have an EVGA graphics card I'll sell ya. Only selling because of the white lines it displays on my monitor. Oh did I mention the swamp land in Florida?

belial2k

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2009
I'll buy Asrock and MSI before I buy another EVGA product. Probably the most overpriced, overhyped products on the market right now all stemming from a fake "lifetime" warranty on their products that they don't honor.

johmm

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2007
sorry crappy englis

i don't know about you and other people...
but at this point i find it hard to give any money and shure not 200 ..
for a bord that has no usb 3 ...
we are all waithing for this, if the bord makers want are money and get there sales back up ... the have to start adding usb 3 to there bords
are if not even better the new fire-wire standards

john belgium

montyw47

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2007
I wanted to get an evaluation of a mobo and not company bashing. Because you bought a company's products in the past, doesn't tell me about ASRock Preview P55 Motherboard. This review today gave me some answers. A tryout with i5 CPUs would help but at the time of the review the i5 CPU wasn't releases yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS