Playing single NPC / PC encounter, IC - maximum time limit?

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.misc (More info?)

When playing an NPC - single PC encounter (played out in dialog
where each is trying to get something from the other) - what is
the maximum amount of time that the encounter should go on for?

I realize that this is largely subjective - but it's obvious
that if the GM - player discourse goes on for too long then
other players may feel that they're being left out (which of
course they are) even if they're able to witness the encounter
(as players not as PCs).

My instinct is to always RP these NPC - PC encounters IC for the
NPC, but there comes a point when even I think that the needs of
the game - as a game (everyone have fun) - are more important
than the strict role-playing aspect of the game for the two
players PC and NPC (aka GM's character).

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.misc (More info?)

"shoggoth" posts, in part:

When playing an NPC - single PC encounter (played out in
dialog where each is trying to get something from the other)
- what is the maximum amount of time that the encounter
should go on for?

If there's only one player present, I'd say one session. It's
difficult to keep continuity beyond that point.

If there are multiple players present, it depends a lot on the
group. I have players that are pretty happy spectating on each
others' encounters, so I can use most of a session and not
offend anyone. In a group where some of the players will get
bored, I think it's important to make sure each player gets
his share of the spotlight time - so the rule might be as low
as one session of time divided by the number of players.

Warren J. Dew
Powderhouse Software