Dell XPS 420 fan always running at MAX

webguy0822

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2010
Hey Guys,

I have a XPS 420 with a 8800GT and a 375W power supply BIOS A07. Recently, I upgraded the PSU to a 750W Corsair http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139006&cm_re=750w-_-17-139-006-_-Product
and also the graphics card to a GTX 275
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130475&cm_re=gtx_275_evga-_-14-130-475-_-Product.

Everything works great, except 1 thing. Now, when I turn on my system, my fans run at full blast at all times. I opened the case to see what exactly was making the noise. It turns out that it is one of the case fans. Based on the Xps420 motherboard diagram, its the one located between 17 and 18. (I don't know if that helps anyone here).

Does anyone have an idea why the fan is going crazy? Could the increase in PSU wattage be to blame? I really don't know for sure, just guessing.

One more thing, the fan is 90mm (the brand is Delta). This one: http://www.pcpartscollection.com/deef90fa4co.html

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Like I said, everything works fine, temps good, no errors during POST, it just sounds like an F-15 is about to take off! LOL!

Thanks in advance

Solution
To use speedfan to control the speed, you need to plug the fan into the cha_fan 3 pin motherboard ports. Then speedfan will be able to pick up the fan.

If it's just the 1 fan that's making all the noise, you may just need to replace it.

squirrel64

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010
did your new psu come with software disc ??? You may be able to control fan speed with that software if possible. If not you may have to enter bios and see if there are any settings in the to control different fans. CPU CASE ETC

webguy0822

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2010
Thanks for your quick reply squirrel64. My PSU did not come with any software to control fan speed. I even tried programs like Speedfan to control them and it dosen't even recognize fans in the system.

I also looked at every area of my BIOS and there are no fan control options either.

Any other ideas?

Thanks again!

To use speedfan to control the speed, you need to plug the fan into the cha_fan 3 pin motherboard ports. Then speedfan will be able to pick up the fan.

If it's just the 1 fan that's making all the noise, you may just need to replace it.

Solution

itadakimasu

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
by any chance do you have the door off?

can you go into bios and reset the chassis intrusion? I have a precision system and if you boot it w\ the door off, it runs the fan @100% and it's like a jet engine... have to reboot and close case to get it to go to normal.

webguy0822

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2010
Thanks guys for all of your help with this. I do have my case door on now, but fan noise persists. itadakimasu, I can't seem to find the feature in my BIOS to reset a chassis intrusion. Could this feature be disabled on my XPS 420? Out of curiosity, where is it on your system?

There's no chassis intrusion switch on an XPS 420.
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/SYSTEMS/xps420/en/OM/HTML/parts.htm#wp1466871

A higher wattage psu shouldn't cause the fan to run faster, but there are documented cases where it has.

A few options;

Unplug and reseat the fan connector, it may have gotten knocked when you installed the new gpu.

Return the psu and try again with another model, you don't need anywhere near 750 watts, a 500-550 would be more than sufficient.
I've had no problems with Corsair or Antec when used as a replacement for Dell power supplies.

Buy a new fan, could just be that the fan died, ( the one you linked to is not the correct model )
http://www.cwc-group.com/kg885.html

Bergeron00

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010
Folks... Just went through the same exact scenario as above. Replaced my 325w in my XPS 420 because it's fan started making noise (the PSU fan). Plugged in a brand new OCZ Silencer Mk II 750W. The main CPU fan would do just as stated above... it would always run wide open. Tried Speedfan but since the Dell fan is special speedfan would not recognize it. Fought with the darn thing for close to two weeks. Even changed out the thermal compound with some Arctic Silver. Finally surrendered and bought a new fan for the old PSU. Replaced the PSU fan, plugged in the old PSU and everything is back to normal now. It doesn't make sense... but all I know is that Dell can be a little funny about non-dell parts. I guess I could have bought a new CPU fan and stuck with the new PSU… but then again I’m not a gamer and 325W has served me well so far.

Skyfox35

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2011

Which fan did u replace with what brand and model? My husband's XPS 420 is loud as a plane. We think it's coming from the CPU fan though.

dearnest

Honorable
Dec 12, 2012

Yes, which model fan did you replace your fan with? I'm going thru the same loud fan noise problem. Thanks!

TRENDING THREADS