JackFrost

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2002
Anyone know of a good external raid box that can be connected to a pc using usb cables? What are my options for large raid arrays? I need something that will support a large amount of data in Raid 5.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It doesn't bother you that such a solution would be extremely slow compared to a single fast internal drive?

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

JackFrost

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2002
Nope, we are talking about a back-up/work solution for about 500+ gigs of geologic data that I have to work with. I need something that will hold the data, be secure, and be reliable.

sjonnie

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2001
So why does it have to be on USB, or external for that matter?

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/myanandtech.html?member=114979" target="_new">My PCs</A> :cool:

jim552

Distinguished
May 1, 2003
To be "really honest" this doesn't sound like a good solution?

It would be "MUCH MORE" efficient to put another server on the network with RAID in it!

From My experience with USB attached storage you would be looking at anywhere from 50-125 hours to put 500+ gigabytes on there.

Maybe that is fine for you, but I don't think it's very good.

Also, I "DOUBT" you will be able to find any USB attached RAID devices anyway.

GOOD LUCK.....

jim552

Distinguished
May 1, 2003
Looks interesting!

If you do get anything like this, I hope that you post any performance information you get. (Like how long to transfer 100gb of files with an average size of 50mb.)

I would be really interested in knowing what you end up with, and how it works. (Doesn't? :) )

I have tried two external USB drives. One regular USB, and the other USB v2.0. I haven't been very impressed.

Although, since it is USB it is nice o be able to just plop onto a server/workstation without having to reboot and use it.

For what you are doing, I'm still thinking a server is the best way to go. You can get a smaller case, and like an Asus A7n8x. (Whatever sub-version that has the build in video.) Then you can get a mini/mid-tower put a couple drives in mirror or raid 0. You're set. If you are just using it for storage, you don't need a monitor or keyboard unless you have a problem, or are changing the configuration.

Good Luck though in whatever direction you go.

etp777

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2004
Personally, I would be using a server for something like this(go figure, just added ram to a new server that will, as one aspect, serve this function, though that's secondary to the main aspect of it)

But another option, and one that I think will suit you better than a USB or Firewire raid array, would be one of the NAS devices, that uses Linux(or something, varies by device) or other stripped down OS.

Something along lines of this:

<A HREF="http://www.abcgroup.net/prodotti/nas.htm" target="_new">http://www.abcgroup.net/prodotti/nas.htm</A>

I haven't used that particular device though, just pulled it up in a quick search, so don't take this as endorsement of that product, merely using it to represent an idea.

etp777

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2004
Yep, but wouldnt' be raid one, would be 10, or 0+1, depending on if you strip first or mirror first(And I never remember which applies to which. :)

JackFrost

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2002
You probably right though, I can probably just wait for a good dell dell to come up and get a cheap server for about $300, get a good RAID card for about $400, and some HDs for whatever they are going for at that moment. So, probably about $1500 with a good monitor/keyboard/mouse switch so I only have to use one of each for each computer.