jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
I'm dual booting with Win98 and WinXP. Win98 is very fast and stable, while WinXP likes to crash.

I have install WinXP a half dozen times. As soon as I load the video drivers it becomes unstable. I been installing the video drivers, 4-1 and directX in different orders.

I will be watching a music video on line, then it will freeze, anywhere from 2sec to 5min. Also, I lost my sound, but it didn't freeze, but I had to reboot, I even lost my internet conection and had to boot again. It's not just with videos, it will freeze doing nothing.

My BIOS is at default, after three weeks I am to lazy to take out my PCI card to load WinXP, or to take them out and move them now. Also, don't feel I should have to tweak the OS.

If anyone has an idea what is going on, I'd be glad to hear it. Maybe this week end I'll take my PCI cards out.

UT frager
XP1800
Abit KR7A 133R
Leadtek Gf4 4400
Maya 7.1 gold
2-256 2400 Corsair
WD 1200jb
3 Com
psu 460
Water cooled and 7 case fans

Hey Baby, want to play with my computer?

btvillarin

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
I actually install the Via 4-in-1 drivers twice: right after installation and last after all the drivers are installed. Then again, I'm currently in Windows 2000.

Perhaps this thread can help, if you haven't read it before:
<A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/software/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=18044#18044" target="_new">"Toey's awesome Windows installation methodology"</A> (actually named "Windows XP Randomly Resetting Everywhere!")

Addressing your laziness, stop it already. :lol: Solve your problem and try reseating those PCI cards or moving them.

That's all for now, I s'pose. Good luck!

Bryan

<font color=red><Begin Signature></font color=red>
<A HREF="http://www.btvillarin.com" target="_new">btvillarin.com</A>
My personal website, chock full of tips and other computer stuff. No ads, banners, or catches. It's currently based on Windows XP, but Windows 2000 stuff to come.

<font color=green><A HREF="http://www.btvillarin.com/staff/bryan_villarin.html" target="_new">My System Rig</A> - can anyone give it a name? I haven't yet, and I don't have any ideas</font color=green>

<i>I'm back from Hawaii, so sorry if I'm a bit slow...</i> :lol:

<font color=red></End Signature></font color=red>

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
Thanks Bryan. Yeah, I installed the 4-1 a couple times, also. One time it froze while loaded them, and then I coulded get back into the OS, because of a missing file. I tried safe mode, and a repair, that's all I could think of and it didn't work.

I check those sight out, but they seem to be for more of restarts. I don't want to do to much reading,think I rather wait for a patch. Hehe
I become lazy after 3 weeks of losing sleep, and being no farther ahead. I'm greatful for Toey's help in getting Images of my system, because at least my Win98 kicks butt, and I can always return to that state. I'd like to do the same with WinXP.

I think your right I'm going to have to take my PCI cards out and start from scratch.

Thanks. Luck is what I am hoping for.

btvillarin

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
Here's my latest steps for my Windows 2000 install w/SP2 slipstreamed already, if it'll help - of course pertaining to my specific setup:

Install Windows 2000 Pro SP2 (25 minutes duration)
Optimize settings (swap file, visual settings, some services, etc.)
Via 4-in-1 v4.38
Windows Update site downloads
Xerox DocuPrint M760 v3.57 drivers
Aureal Vortex 2 sound card drivers
ATI Radeon 32MB SDR drivers 5.13.01.6071
Via 4-in-1 v4.38 drivers (again)
PCI Latency Patch 0.19

If you want to see how my system looks like, go to that page below. As for the PCI slots, my sound card is in PCI 2, and my NIC is in PCI 5.

Bryan

<font color=red><Signature></font color=red>
<b><A HREF="http://www.btvillarin.com" target="_new">btvillarin.com</A></b>
My personal website, chock full of tips and other computer stuff. No ads, banners, or catches. It's currently based on Windows XP, but Windows 2000 stuff to come.

<b><A HREF="http://www.btvillarin.com/staff/bryan_villarin.html" target="_new">My System Rig</A></b>
<font color=red></Signature></font color=red>

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
I reinstall WinXP, and installed Direct 8.1 and the 28.30 driver from Leadtek. Came on the Internet and all was doing well for about 10 min., then it restarted. Guess I'll be checking out your first replay after all.

Well I guess that all for now, my 10 minutes is almost up. Lol
Thanks for your help.

Toejam31

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Hi, Jeff ...

I'm reading over your posts, and it seems that your problems stem from two areas ... multimedia, and the NIC card.

The first thing I'd like to ask ... why are you installing DirectX 8.1 in WinXP? This isn't Win2K; WinXP <i>comes</i>with 8.1.

Are you installing the latest drivers for the <A HREF="http://www.audiotrak.net/eng/index.html" target="_new">MAYA</A> card from the website that were released at the end of February? These are doing the job for me.

Have you tried an older set of VIA 4in1 drivers, like the 4.37a's? I've had good luck with these, in combination with the 4.20a AGP driver, and the nVidia 28.32 reference drivers. (You can still get these drivers <A HREF="http://www.guru3d.com/files/" target="_new">at this site</A>.) With your Iiyama, if I'm correct, the monitor RAMDAC will be correctly identified with that driver set, and you shouldn't need the refresh rate fix. I haven't needed it with my GF4 4400 card and the Iiyama.

There's a new version of the VIA drivers out if you want to give them a shot, the <A HREF="http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=2" target="_new">4.40a(P3)'s</A>.

I'm looking back over your email, too. How about trying the scenario with only four partitions on the disk (too many can cause problems with Window, as it can slow up the boot due to the amount of time it takes to enumerate and mount each partition). And perhaps you should try it with WinXP as the only OS on the disk. You've got an image of Win98 ... you can put it back on the system partition, if necessary.

I suspect, due to the kind of problems you are describing, that you are experiencing a conflict between the video card and the NIC card. How long does it take for the system to freeze after a new installation if you try it without the NIC card in the computer? And are you using the latest drivers for the NIC card after it is installed?

You mentioned that your BIOS settings are at default. Well, that's not always the best solution. Is ACPI enabled, with all APM-related features <i>disabled</i>? Have you disabled the devices you won't be using, such as the serial (COM) ports? I noticed that you mentioned in one email that your NIC card and the USB Host controllers were sharing an IRQ, and moving the card allowed the NIC to be assigned an IRQ that was different, but not shared. That makes me wonder if the HAL in WinXP is getting installed as APM on your system, although that's kind of a long shot.

What kind of memory timings settings do you currently have displayed in the BIOS? And do you still have the AGP port set at 256, with 4X enabled?

How's your processor temperatures?

Toey

<font color=red>First Rig:</font color=red> <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=17935" target="_new"><font color=green>Toejam31's Devastating Dalek Destroyer</font color=green></A>
<font color=red>Second Rig:</font color=red> <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=15942" target="_new"><font color=green>Toey's Dynamite DDR Duron</font color=green></A>

<font color=purple>"Some push the envelope. Some just lick it. And some can't find the flap."</font color=purple>

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
Hi Toey

>I'm reading over your posts, and it seems that your problems stem from two areas ... multimedia, and the NIC card.

The first thing I'd like to ask ... why are you installing DirectX 8.1 in WinXP? This isn't Win2K; WinXP comeswith 8.1.<

I install DirectX 8.1 simple for one reason, I'm grabbing at straws and I wasn't sure if it came with 8.1.

>Are you installing the latest drivers for the MAYA card from the website that were released at the end of February? These are doing the job for me.<

Since I just did a clean install with no PCI cards, at the moment I can't even get the drivers to load. The Maya seems to load better for me when I install Windows with the card in. I tried letting Windows install them and also add new hardware and so far no dice, and I do have a copy of the latest drivers in one of my partitions, I'll try them again when I get my sound working.

>Have you tried an older set of VIA 4in1 drivers, like the 4.37a's? I've had good luck with these, in combination with the 4.20a AGP driver, and the nVidia 28.32 reference drivers. (You can still get these drivers at this site.) With your Iiyama, if I'm correct, the monitor RAMDAC will be correctly identified with that driver set, and you shouldn't need the refresh rate fix. I haven't needed it with my GF4 4400 card and the Iiyama.<

No, I haven't tried the older 4-1, but am willing to try anything at thing to get WinXP stable. I loaded the 28.32, but they were from Leaktek.

>There's a new version of the VIA drivers out if you want to give them a shot, the 4.40a(P3)'s.<

I tried those, but maybe with the order I installed my drivers, or having ones that weren't stably didn't help.

>I'm looking back over your email, too. How about trying the scenario with only four partitions on the disk (too many can cause problems with Window, as it can slow up the boot due to the amount of time it takes to enumerate and mount each partition). And perhaps you should try it with WinXP as the only OS on the disk. You've got an image of Win98 ... you can put it back on the system partition, if necessary.<

Win98 doesn't have a problem with 6 partitions, in fact has been doing very well. I'm getting FPS as high as 140 with UT, at default, so I'm as happy as a pig in (peep). If WinXP can't out perform Win98 in games, then I'm going to favor Win98, and limit the I.E. I open. I'd like to compare the two OS for myself, and at least use each OS for a certain purpose. Even when I had WinXP running have way decent, it froze during MOA. So I'm under the impression that WinXP is going to fight me the hole way. Basically I been pulling my hair out, since I got WinXP, and it's just nice being able to use my computer with Win98 without it crashing. I partition my drive so many times now, I'm surprise I haven't blown anything up, it is possible, I know first hand. Lol... I will consider that possibility when everything els has failed. OK, I lied, more like put WinXP on my other system.

>I suspect, due to the kind of problems you are describing, that you are experiencing a conflict between the video card and the NIC card. How long does it take for the system to freeze after a new installation if you try it without the NIC card in the computer? And are you using the latest drivers for the NIC card after it is installed?<

Windows is supposed to support my NIC card and I have look before for an updated driver, but I had no luck finding it. I could look a little harder. I haven't tested to see how long it to take to freeze without the NIC card in, because I was thinking it was the video card. I do have a couple other NIC cards I could try and maybe have better luck finding drivers.

>You mentioned that your BIOS settings are at default. Well, that's not always the best solution. Is ACPI enabled,<

I see APIC it's enable. The ACPI is a suspend type, S1(POS), but no enable setting.

>with all APM-related features disabled?>

I'm not sure what your talking about, I don't see them.

<Have you disabled the devices you won't be using, such as the serial (COM) ports?>

I haven't shut anything off, though I will be hooking up a camera.

>I noticed that you mentioned in one email that your NIC card and the USB Host controllers were sharing an IRQ, and moving the card allowed the NIC to be assigned an IRQ that was different, but not shared. That makes me wonder if the HAL in WinXP is getting installed as APM on your system, although that's kind of a long shot.<

I have no idea, but the e-mail your talking about I believe was for Win98, WinXP seems to have IRQ all the way up to 21 and only the Universal Host is sharing with it's self.

>What kind of memory timings settings do you currently have displayed in the BIOS?<

If your talking about the ones I know of, there all on there lowest setting.

>And do you still have the AGP port set at 256, with 4X enabled?<

Nope 128 and 2X, that easy enough to change,

>How's your processor temperatures?<

My gauge shows 30c, but I think it's more like 35c-40c.

I even have a weird problem with my Itelli mouse, the arrow froze, but I still was able to move the mouse somewhat, thought I couldn't tell where it was and my key board still work, so I updated the mouse. It seem at the momment, there's no telling when WinXP will crash, I just know it will.

Thanks for your tips Toey, I'm going to get started on it.

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
Thanks for your help guys, but there doesn't seem to be any hope for me and WinXP, at the moment. It has been nothing but a pain in the A$$, where Win98 is so simple. Simple I tell, WinXP has taking all the fun away since I got it. It's time for me to go back home to Win98. Maybe I'll try Win2000 for a dual boot, I have that sitting around here somewhere.

btvillarin

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
Dang, that's so lame jiff. :frown:

I'd say try Windows 2000 before going back to Windows 98. The memory management is the only reason I wouldn't want Win98 back...

Bryan

<font color=red><Short Signature></font color=red>
<b><A HREF="http://www.btvillarin.com/staff/bryan_villarin.html" target="_new"><font color=green>Villarin's Velocity Virus Machine</font color=green></A></b> - How's that???
<font color=red></Short Signature></font color=red>

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
I never left Win98, I like it for gaming. I'm sure I could get WinXP to run better, but I have to ask myself if it's worth it, knowing it won't be better for gaming and down the road I'll load a program and the crap starts all over.

I wanted the memory management for searching the Internet, while listening to the radio or videos, and leave Win98 strictly for gaming, with less stuff on it. I'm loading Win2000 now, where WinXP use to be. Lol....

Hope this will be less hair pulling.

Thanks for your concern. Jeff

btvillarin

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
Hey, have you ever heard of <A HREF="http://www.litepc.com/" target="_new">LitePC</A>? It was formerly 98Lite.com, but don't go there anymore...

Anyways, I'm talking about this little thing <A HREF="http://www.litepc.com/98lite.html" target="_new">here</A>.

Bryan

<font color=red><Signature></font color=red>
<b><A HREF="http://www.btvillarin.com/staff/bryan_villarin.html" target="_new"><font color=green>Villarin's Velocity Virus Machine</font color=green></A></b> - How's that???
<font color=red></ Signature></font color=red>

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
I had a little trouble install my 3Com driver into Win2000, I wasn't paying attention and saved it on my C: partition, where Win98 is. I got it working, but have an error that comes up, it still goes on the Internet though, but it froze. I don't know if that has anything to do with it, but I'm starting to think I'm not going to have the best of both worlds with a dual boot. Can you or anybody els confirm that I should forget about dual booing. I'm using my Image to fix C:, since I messed it up, and will try Win2000 one more time before I give up on dual booting.

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
""or anybody els confirm that I should forget about dual booing""

I tried to "use" XP Pro for business (tried some games on it as well) things, but after getting frustrated "few" times, got my 2k server back in place, wheewhee, runs like a Win2k now, hehe. Yeah, I am using ME (fun) on C: and 2k (business) on D: and everything else on E:, F:, G:, blah blah blah Z: drives (just in case, GXPs you know ;)

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...

Zlash

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
If 98 works and XP doesn't it's gotta be your hardware.

<font color=red>:</font color=red> <font color=white>:</font color=white> <font color=blue>:</font color=blue>
<A HREF="http://ryanw.kicks-ass.net:8080" target="_new">Homepage</A>

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
I'm jealous, I tried Dual booting with Win2000 real quick, slapped some drivers on, and it was going real smooth, until it froze. That put an end to my dual booting, at least on this system. I think Zlash is right about my hardware, plus I'm not to good with NT OS, and I'm done learning on this sytem.
So, I put all my fun on C: some on E: and F: not sure what to do with D: G: and H: now.
I give WinXP another shot on my other system, or Win2000, or a dual boot two OS. At least now the frustration is over on my main system.

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
heh, so you say, if Win9x and Win2k works just fine and XPx is not, than I have "bad" hardware; yo, there is something wrong with your way of making conclusions, cos XPx was suppose to have "better" hardware "support", or am I wrong?

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
No, just Win98 is working for me. I couldn't get WinXP to dual boot, and when I tried Win2000 real quick it wasn't stable either. That's my conclusion for my circumstances, where ever the problem may lie.

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
I install WinXP on my older computer, with a 133A chip, 256x133 SDRAM, 1200 133 TB, Live and a gf2 Ultra card. I partition my 20Gb IBM in 3 and left my PCI cards in and WinXP loaded all the drivers. This is more like it, no work involved:) It even played UT pretty darn smooth, not as fast as Win98, but I haven't done any tweaking yet, which I'm afraid to screw it up, it seems very stably. Hack, I'm listening to a music video, have a few I.E. open, even downloaded (cough)AOL(cough) and installed it, didn't even have to reboot, + install UT and played it, not bad. Now if WinXP would recognize the hardware on my other system and be like this, I might drop Win98 even for games, time will tell.

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
I have a dual boot xp/me with a geforce2 ultra, sb live value, and an asus a7v133a.

The 4n1's suck my white @$$. Twice.

As soon as I stopped loading them, every single one of my Xp lockups and Ide corruption went away.

Now, on the winme side, I load the 4n1's and the miniport drivers. No problems there, other than the usual msdos slowdowns/crashes that go with windows in the first place.

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
Did you upgrade the video card as well, and if so did that give you problems, or did just the 4-1 give you problems?