Screensaver - ...on resume, show welcome screen ???

I am running XP Pro, single user on my machine. My screen saver setting is
to require a password upon resuming. Until a few days ago this was working
fine, showing the Welcome screen. Then suddenly I am now (only upon
screenaver resumption) getting the classic logon screen. The option setting
in the screensaver settings window has changed and I am utterly unable to
determine what changed it or how to return it to the original state.

My account settings are for Fast User Switching and to Show Welcome Screen.
I am not part of a domain.

In perusing some newsgroups I have found this question before, however
nowhere an answer to the question how to fix it.
I concluded that something I must have done (without me being aware of it)
had changed this and consequently decided to use an XP test build on another
machine to possibly pinpoint such an occurence through a phased approach.
Much to my surprise I found the setting for a screensaver to 'upon resome,
password protect' from the get-go, i.e. the very first time I logged on, so
my attempt for analyis was proven unsuccessful in record time.

Not having too many options, out of desparation I introduced a second user
account and suddenly the screensaver allowed my to set 'on resome show
welcome screen'.
So it appears that there would have to be more than one user account to show
the welcome screen upon screensaver resumption, except .... I never had more
than one user on my system in the first place.

Anyone have some ideas on this?

Thanks,
Peter
4 answers Last reply
More about screensaver resume show screen

    Peter,

    Is the Guest account disabled? Or, perhaps hidden from Welcome Screen?

    --
    Ramesh, MS-MVP
    Windows Shell/User

    Windows XP Troubleshooting
    http://www.winhelponline.com
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org

    "unwelcome" <unwelcome@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I am running XP Pro, single user on my machine. My screen saver setting
    >is
    > to require a password upon resuming. Until a few days ago this was
    > working
    > fine, showing the Welcome screen. Then suddenly I am now (only upon
    > screenaver resumption) getting the classic logon screen. The option
    > setting
    > in the screensaver settings window has changed and I am utterly unable to
    > determine what changed it or how to return it to the original state.
    >
    > My account settings are for Fast User Switching and to Show Welcome
    > Screen.
    > I am not part of a domain.
    >
    > In perusing some newsgroups I have found this question before, however
    > nowhere an answer to the question how to fix it.
    > I concluded that something I must have done (without me being aware of it)
    > had changed this and consequently decided to use an XP test build on
    > another
    > machine to possibly pinpoint such an occurence through a phased approach.
    > Much to my surprise I found the setting for a screensaver to 'upon
    > resome,
    > password protect' from the get-go, i.e. the very first time I logged on,
    > so
    > my attempt for analyis was proven unsuccessful in record time.
    >
    > Not having too many options, out of desparation I introduced a second user
    > account and suddenly the screensaver allowed my to set 'on resome show
    > welcome screen'.
    > So it appears that there would have to be more than one user account to
    > show
    > the welcome screen upon screensaver resumption, except .... I never had
    > more
    > than one user on my system in the first place.
    >
    > Anyone have some ideas on this?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Peter

    Im having the same problem...

    Guest account is disabled... But i have another account
    Use welcome screen is on, but fast user switch i dont know about, because
    when i go back to see if its clicked, the box is uncheched. But i AM clicking
    on it and hitting apply changes... any way it could disable itself? Also i
    cheched the registrey and fastTSSswitch is set to 1 ( thats the fast user
    switch key )
    When i go in to enable a password with my screensaver it says "On resume,
    password protect" i want it to say "On resume, Show welcome screen"
    IS there any setting i could have changed in the past that might have
    disabled this?
    When i turn on my computer, the welcome screen shows, but when i move the
    mouse after the screensaver has been on, it shows me that classic login box.

    I fixed it !!!!! My fast user switch service was DISABLED!!!

    for anyone out there who cant fix this problem...

    If you have ever messed with your "Services" in Control panel>Administrative
    tools>Services(Make sure your in classic view for control panel - change it
    at top right of window)

    Look for somthing called "fast user switching" service. If it is DISALBED,
    right click, properties, and set to automatic. If having touble finding it,
    look at the top of the list and organize it by clicking on the status bar
    (the one that has all the Automatic, Manual, Disable text under it. Look for
    services that are Disabled. This fixed my problem! I hope it fixes yours.

    If you dont know what youre doing in administrative tools, i suggest you
    dont mess around, You could trash your computer!

    For the OP:

    --

    "Augownage" <Augownage@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I fixed it !!!!! My fast user switch service was DISABLED!!!
    >

    > for anyone out there who cant fix this problem...
    >
    > If you have ever messed with your "Services" in Control
    > panel>Administrative
    > tools>Services(Make sure your in classic view for control panel - change
    > it
    > at top right of window)
    >
    > Look for somthing called "fast user switching" service. If it is DISALBED,
    > right click, properties, and set to automatic. If having touble finding
    > it,
    > look at the top of the list and organize it by clicking on the status bar
    > (the one that has all the Automatic, Manual, Disable text under it. Look
    > for
    > services that are Disabled. This fixed my problem! I hope it fixes yours.
    >
    > If you dont know what youre doing in administrative tools, i suggest you
    > dont mess around, You could trash your computer!

Screensaver Windows XP