.hta Extension Not Recognized

Any idea why Windows is not recognizing the .hta file extension? This is
some sort of AutoStart HTML file which is included on many Microsoft product
CD's and DVD's. I manually set it to open with IE but it still shows an
unknown application icon and I get prompted whether I want to run the
unknown application when I click on it.

I'm running a relatively fresh (2 weeks) copy of Windows XP Professional
SP2. I have the latest MS Office installed, as well as latest .NET framework
and Visual Studio.

Thanks for your advice.

- Joe Geretz -

See www.dougknox.com, Win XP Fixes, File Association Fixes, HTA File Association Fix. Download the ZIP and extract the REG file inside. Double click the REG file and answer yes to the import prompt.

Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

"Joseph Geretz" <jgeretz@nospam.com> wrote in message news:uqsLJ%23SfFHA.2644@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Any idea why Windows is not recognizing the .hta file extension? This is
> some sort of AutoStart HTML file which is included on many Microsoft product
> CD's and DVD's. I manually set it to open with IE but it still shows an
> unknown application icon and I get prompted whether I want to run the
> unknown application when I click on it.
>
> I'm running a relatively fresh (2 weeks) copy of Windows XP Professional
> SP2. I have the latest MS Office installed, as well as latest .NET framework
> and Visual Studio.
>
> Thanks for your advice.
>
> - Joe Geretz -

I reassociated this to mshta.exe and now it's working better.

- Joe Geretz -