align cartridges

Hi all:
I have a HP psc 950 (4 in 1) and never had problems with it until now, I
just recently change the black cartridge (first time) and it keeps on
prompting me to enter to align the cartridges, I did it and it says
alignment failed and to press enter to align the cartridges, I tried this
several times, I read the book and doesn't say anything else. I even clean
the cartridges. I was able to print something from the computer, just a
test from notepad and it worked. I need to make copies and this function
doesn't work. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Patty

jsc91606

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2009
i just encountered this problem after so many years of changing and aligning print cartridges without a hitch, same as you encountered, "alignment failed" and back to "press enter to align print cartridges", what you can do is to just bypass the alignment all together and proceed to what you need to use your all in one, here is what you need to do, press and hold the "ENTER" button and press the "SETUP" button once and the lcd screen will clear out the alingmnet message and skip the alignment of cartridges and your back to where you are before you change the black cartridge. hope this helps.....jerry (CA)

Pancho25

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2008

Hello,

Re. The bypassing alignment procedure from an earlier post, "press and hold the "ENTER" button and press the "SETUP""

As you stated, the hp4500 has an "OK" button instead of "ENTER", but the hp4500 also lacks a button marked "SETUP". So, which button did you use as the Setup button.

Thanks.

Reagan Grell

Honorable

turn on printer. when it prompts you to align the cartridge

hold down ok button, keep holding it down, it will start printing the alignment page, press setup button - third from bottom, and then press cancel button

pretty sure this was the exact sequence I tried and it looks like it worked

I was just guessing and it was either pressing the settings button or the cancel button while I was holding down OK that worked

we'll see next time I change printer cartridges. thanks for the help folks