BSOD on boot, can't even get into safe mode

June 30, 2005 2:28:28 AM

I have WinXP Home SP2 on an HP Pavilion 4200 Notebook, with an AMD1600
and 1Gb RAM.

Things started to go wrong when I got error messages on boot telling me
that winlogon.exe couldn't start because shell.dll wasn't found, and
that msgina.dll failed.
Looked up the problem and Microsoft blamed one of their updates, and
told me to restore the files from the CD. I tried, and of course it
wanted the administrator password. Now, the machine is 2 years old and
I've never once used the admin p/w, but there were only two options as
to what it was and I tried them, upper and lower case. No soap,
password rejected.
So I started to go round the long way and do a complete restore from
the OEM CD. This seemd to load up OK, but when it got to the end and
rebooted for the last time, I got a split-second flash of BSOD halfway
through the boot, and a restart.
And that's all I've had since.
I've tried starting with:
Last Known Good Config
Safe Mode
Safe Mode Networking
Safe Mode Command Prompt
and all do exactly the same BSOD thing and restart. The thing flashes
up so damn fast I can't possibly read the error message.
Now I'm stuck. The only thing I can think of (unless anyone can help!)
is a complete reformat and OS reload, which will lose me 2 years of
stuff . . .

More about : bsod boot safe mode

Anonymous
June 30, 2005 10:57:20 AM

Hi

Does your OEM XP CD give you a 'Repair' option as well as a
reformat/reinstall option:

"How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install"

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
Please reply to the News Groups

<felix32@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I have WinXP Home SP2 on an HP Pavilion 4200 Notebook, with an AMD1600
> and 1Gb RAM.
>
> Things started to go wrong when I got error messages on boot telling me
> that winlogon.exe couldn't start because shell.dll wasn't found, and
> that msgina.dll failed.
> Looked up the problem and Microsoft blamed one of their updates, and
> told me to restore the files from the CD. I tried, and of course it
> wanted the administrator password. Now, the machine is 2 years old and
> I've never once used the admin p/w, but there were only two options as
> to what it was and I tried them, upper and lower case. No soap,
> password rejected.
> So I started to go round the long way and do a complete restore from
> the OEM CD. This seemd to load up OK, but when it got to the end and
> rebooted for the last time, I got a split-second flash of BSOD halfway
> through the boot, and a restart.
> And that's all I've had since.
> I've tried starting with:
> Last Known Good Config
> Safe Mode
> Safe Mode Networking
> Safe Mode Command Prompt
> and all do exactly the same BSOD thing and restart. The thing flashes
> up so damn fast I can't possibly read the error message.
> Now I'm stuck. The only thing I can think of (unless anyone can help!)
> is a complete reformat and OS reload, which will lose me 2 years of
> stuff . . .

June 30, 2005 10:57:21 AM

Will Denny wrote:

> Hi
>
> Does your OEM XP CD give you a 'Repair' option as well as a
> reformat/reinstall option:
>
> "How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install"

Some HP's do and some don't. However, my advice to the OP would be to
take his machine to a local professional (not BigStoreUSA) and see if
his data can be retrieved first. The local pro can also try booting
with Knoppix, which will answer the question whether the errors are
being caused by Windows or hardware.

My gut feel is that the problems are being caused by hardware; if that
is the case, of course messing about with a Repair Install will be
futile.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/305595/

The link above helps with a similar problem, but you might try doing the
above steps, and copying the files it says its missing onto that book disk...

If not, the parent sugestions are also good ideas...

--
Hope this Helps!

-Adam.D

!