Remote Control and Wifi Modem

Hello,

my father sent me an invitation for remote control (Start / Help and
support).

But I never managed to connect to his computer.

When I opened the invitation file, I noticed the IP was local (192.168.*.*)
since my father has a Wifi connection between his comp and the ADSL modem.

I manually changed this IP to match his "published" one (I did not change
the port number).

But it still didn't work...

How can I use this "remote control" feature despite the problems caused by
the WiFi link ?

Thanks !
2 answers Last reply
More about remote control wifi modem

    ummm, that shouldn't be problem wit you'er IP address even most IP address
    are set at 192.168.2.1 but check if you're dad is using a firewall and tell
    him to check his firewall setting whcih is usally tends mess up remote
    control (it hates it) or can disable the firewall for a littel while and see
    what happens.

    for example if you where trying to remote control some ones pc behind a work
    or University there is not chace of it working

    oh yeah if its you who needs help on your PC then you should send the
    invitation or vice virca.

    "myname" wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > my father sent me an invitation for remote control (Start / Help and
    > support).
    >
    > But I never managed to connect to his computer.
    >
    > When I opened the invitation file, I noticed the IP was local (192.168.*.*)
    > since my father has a Wifi connection between his comp and the ADSL modem.
    >
    > I manually changed this IP to match his "published" one (I did not change
    > the port number).
    >
    > But it still didn't work...
    >
    > How can I use this "remote control" feature despite the problems caused by
    > the WiFi link ?
    >
    > Thanks !

    If you have a WIFI setup between the PC and the ADSL modem, you will need to
    set up a "port forwarding" scheme in the WIFI router. IP addresses of
    192.168.xxx.yyy (or 10.aaa.bbb.ccc) can not be seen "directly" over
    Internet.

    Depending on the WIFI router, you would need to add the "port forwarding"
    for the Remote Control ( or Remote Desktop) so the ADSL Internet address
    asigned bt yoir father's ISP can redirect the correct IP protocol port
    number (Remote Desktop Protocol is 3389) to the 192.68.xxx.yyy address.

    "myname" <lslfkjs@sdfmsflmk.com> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > my father sent me an invitation for remote control (Start / Help and
    > support).
    >
    > But I never managed to connect to his computer.
    >
    > When I opened the invitation file, I noticed the IP was local
    > (192.168.*.*)
    > since my father has a Wifi connection between his comp and the ADSL modem.
    >
    > I manually changed this IP to match his "published" one (I did not change
    > the port number).
    >
    > But it still didn't work...
    >
    > How can I use this "remote control" feature despite the problems caused by
    > the WiFi link ?
    >
    > Thanks !

Connection WiFi Modem Windows XP