Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Hi,

I bought a PC w/ Windows XP Home installed on it about 3 years ago. I
now need to re-install that OS on that same PC again. I cannot. I
cannot find the paper "sticker" that was to have been attatched to the
computer's case. (!)

I probably paid an extra $100-$200 for the Microsoft Software that was
pre-installed on the PC (and on the included beautiful holo- disk),
but, in this age of greed, paranoia, light-speed communications,
you-name-it, I have to have some damn piece of paper or that infamous
company of billionaires is legally allowed to charge me twice for the
same lousy piece of software--software that I only want long enough to
reinstall the OS to remove my personal files from the disks involved,
and until I can install another cheaper, working operating system.

Go figure. It's as though they want you to go to open source.

Any ideas for a solution?
Thanks,
mg

After finding that my first 1,788 more personal
email address choices were already in use,
I decided to just go with efficiency.

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

You could attach your hard drive as a slave drive to another computer that
can read the file system the hard disk is formatted with(NTFS, FAT...).
It'll allow you to read what's on it.

I'm not too sure about this but I think you can also use a bootdisk to be
able to read things off the hard disk....but I haven't tried it so I'm not
for sure. I figure you'd be able to use any bootdisk, Win98, WinME...

Try it and respond; I'm real curious about that.
bob

"M" <email1789@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I bought a PC w/ Windows XP Home installed on it about 3 years ago. I
> now need to re-install that OS on that same PC again. I cannot. I
> cannot find the paper "sticker" that was to have been attatched to the
> computer's case. (!)
>
> I probably paid an extra $100-$200 for the Microsoft Software that was
> pre-installed on the PC (and on the included beautiful holo- disk),
> but, in this age of greed, paranoia, light-speed communications,
> you-name-it, I have to have some damn piece of paper or that infamous
> company of billionaires is legally allowed to charge me twice for the
> same lousy piece of software--software that I only want long enough to
> reinstall the OS to remove my personal files from the disks involved,
> and until I can install another cheaper, working operating system.
>
> Go figure. It's as though they want you to go to open source.
>
> Any ideas for a solution?
> Thanks,
> mg
>
> After finding that my first 1,788 more personal
> email address choices were already in use,
> I decided to just go with efficiency.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

If you've lost the CD key, you'll need to contact the manufacturer of the PC.

Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

M wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I bought a PC w/ Windows XP Home installed on it about 3 years ago. I
> now need to re-install that OS on that same PC again. I cannot. I
> cannot find the paper "sticker" that was to have been attatched to the
> computer's case. (!)
>
> I probably paid an extra $100-$200 for the Microsoft Software that was
> pre-installed on the PC (and on the included beautiful holo- disk),
> but, in this age of greed, paranoia, light-speed communications,
> you-name-it, I have to have some damn piece of paper or that infamous
> company of billionaires is legally allowed to charge me twice for the
> same lousy piece of software--software that I only want long enough to
> reinstall the OS to remove my personal files from the disks involved,
> and until I can install another cheaper, working operating system.
>
> Go figure. It's as though they want you to go to open source.
>
> Any ideas for a solution?
> Thanks,
> mg
>
> After finding that my first 1,788 more personal
> email address choices were already in use,
> I decided to just go with efficiency.

Get a Knoppix CD - you can download the ISO and burn one. This will allow
you to boot the CD and then access your personal files on your computer.

--
Get Microsoft PowerToys for Windows XP here:
"A must-have for your Toy Operating System"

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Contact the the vendor.

M wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I bought a PC w/ Windows XP Home installed on it about 3 years ago. I
> now need to re-install that OS on that same PC again. I cannot. I
> cannot find the paper "sticker" that was to have been attatched to the
> computer's case. (!)

The Windows 25-character Product Key (required to perform the
installation) is stored on the CD packaging on a bright orange sticker
that says "Do not lose this number." It is not on the installation CD
in any way, shape, or form. If it was an OEM (factory installed)
license, it's stored on a label that the PC manufacturer affixed to
the exterior of the PC case, or on the bottom of a laptop.

To recover a lost Product Key:

If your system still runs, you should be able to use Belarc
Advisor from http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html to find the
Product Key. (If you have a factory-installed OEM license, and
haven't since reinstalled the OS, the revealed Product Key is probably
of the drive image used at the factory and not your specific Product
Key; therefore, it probably cannot be -- and definitely should not
be -- used for a re-installation.)

If it was a retail license and you have proof of purchase:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;326246

If it was an OEM license, you should contact the computer's
manufacturer; although very few manufacturers/vendors keep records of
the Product Keys they've sold, it's worth a try before you have to buy
a new license.

> I probably paid an extra $100-$200 for the Microsoft Software that was
> pre-installed on the PC (and on the included beautiful holo- disk),

Then you should have taken better care of it.

> but, in this age of greed, paranoia, light-speed communications,
> you-name-it, I have to have some damn piece of paper or that infamous
> company of billionaires is legally allowed to charge me twice for the
> same lousy piece of software-

And if you forgot where you parked your car, would you expect Ford to
give you a new one?

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you: