D20 too cinematic?

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd,rec.games.frp.misc (More info?)

Bear in mind that those members of the squad who are completely out of
line of sight can't be hit.

Aside from that, I think the problem is that you're using a system
that is intentionally cinematic in the style of an action movie.
You're not supposed to cower in cover, and those that do are probably
plebs who are only there to help you with your body count.

Yes. The root of our problem is that we are trying to simulate Band of
Brothers/Blackhawk Down with the D20 system. D20 is great for
roleplaying and satisfying character advancement and choosing feats is
great and fun but the base system _is_ cinematic.

Here's what we've changed to make it more gritty:

1. Massive Damage Threshold is 10
2. Armor is damage reduction, not defense bonus
3. Will saves in certain situations (crossing suppressing fire,
getting hit for massive damage, grenade explodes at your feet, etc...)
or be shaken-->cowering-->panicking (it's a stepwise thing).
4. Will save/diplomacy/intimidate to rally self/others
5. When something actually hits a vehicle (say an rpg-16 on an M2A2
Bradley) we switch to the Twilight:2000 Second Edition Damage
resolution system. It's mildly more complex, but also seems to model
what would really happen if a LAW-72 hit the front armor of a T-55.
6. New FULL round action called supressing fire which fires 40 bullets
and sovers a 10x10 area for a full round. Anyone who dashed through
has to make the reflex save or take a bullet. Twice if they go through
two squares.

Except for #5, the other stuff isn't that big a change to the base d20
system.

We stole the armour idea from Midnight and I think the core D20 modern
book suggests the massive damage 10 idea. We just made up the will
saves bit.

We've tested it and it rocks. Terribly exciting and nail biting. You
are very afraid of bullets and can hear them zinging by.

I posted earlier about the problem with cover not covering enough
versus autofire, so we thought and thought and now we're giving people
behind cover an extra save - 50% cover means 50% chance that the round
has to go through the cover to hurt you IF you fail your reflex save.
90% cover means 9 in 10 times the round has to go through the cover to
hit you IF you've already failed your reflex save.

Of course, aimed shots and burst fire are unchanged, this is only for
essentially random things like shrapnel and autofire in an area.

Comments? Thoughts?

RB

GI Hoe wrote:

> Yes. The root of our problem is that we are trying to simulate Band of
> Brothers/Blackhawk Down with the D20 system. D20 is great for
> roleplaying and satisfying character advancement and choosing feats is
> great and fun but the base system _is_ cinematic.

It is?

Funny.

Whenever I played I couldn't see a goddamned thing.

Maybe it's more like classic rock radio. Deep Purples's "Highway Star"
everyday whether you like it or not.

GI Hoe wrote:

> The root of our problem is that we are trying to simulate Band of
> Brothers/Blackhawk Down with the D20 system. D20 is great for
> roleplaying and satisfying character advancement and choosing
> feats is great and fun but the base system _is_ cinematic.
>
> Here's what we've changed to make it more gritty:
>
> 1. Massive Damage Threshold is 10
> 2. Armor is damage reduction, not defense bonus
(snip)

Check out Traveller T20 for similar rules. There's a Lite version
available for free here:
<http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=251&>

- Klaus

GI Hoe wrote:

> Yes. The root of our problem is that we are trying to simulate Band of
> Brothers/Blackhawk Down with the D20 system. D20 is great for
> roleplaying and satisfying character advancement and choosing feats is
> great and fun but the base system _is_ cinematic.

Man, seriously. Just play GURPS.

--
Christopher Adams - Sydney, Australia
What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you

Ah, one thing worth beginning,
One thread in life worth spinning,
Ah sweet, one sin worth sinning
With all the whole soul's will

GI Hoe wrote:

> Yes. The root of our problem is that we are trying to simulate Band of
> Brothers/Blackhawk Down with the D20 system. D20 is great for
> roleplaying and satisfying character advancement and choosing feats is
> great and fun but the base system _is_ cinematic.

D20 is the absolute opposite of cinematic.

Cinematic systems allow young kids to best old masters and success in
the face of impossible odds, just like the movies. D20 does not.

--
ross_winn @ mac.com
"Not just another ugly face..."

Ross Winn wrote:
> GI Hoe wrote:
>
>> Yes. The root of our problem is that we are trying to simulate Band of
>> Brothers/Blackhawk Down with the D20 system. D20 is great for
>> roleplaying and satisfying character advancement and choosing feats is
>> great and fun but the base system _is_ cinematic.
>
> D20 is the absolute opposite of cinematic.
>
> Cinematic systems allow young kids to best old masters and success in
> the face of impossible odds, just like the movies. D20 does not.

Your premises are flawed.

D20 games are cinematic in the tradition of modern Hollywood-style action
movies, where the heroes escape explosions and survive firefights with
implausible regularity and possess skills far superior to those possessed by the
majority of their opponents, with only the main villains and perhaps their named
and prominent sidekicks being capable of competing.

Think "Desperado", think "Raiders of the Lost Ark", think "Pirates of the
Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl".

--

"Christopher Adams" <mhacdebhandia@yahoo.invalid> wrote in message
> GI Hoe wrote:
>>
>> Yes. The root of our problem is that we are trying to simulate Band of
>> Brothers/Blackhawk Down with the D20 system. D20 is great for
>> roleplaying and satisfying character advancement and choosing feats is
>> great and fun but the base system _is_ cinematic.
>
> Man, seriously. Just play GURPS.

I am in full agreement. Hell, they even have good WWII sourcebooks.

--
^v^v^Malachias Invictus^v^v^

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishment the scroll,
I am the Master of my fate:
I am the Captain of my soul.

"Ross Winn" <ross_winn@mac.com> wrote in message
> GI Hoe wrote:
>
>> Yes. The root of our problem is that we are trying to simulate Band of
>> Brothers/Blackhawk Down with the D20 system. D20 is great for
>> roleplaying and satisfying character advancement and choosing feats is
>> great and fun but the base system _is_ cinematic.
>
> D20 is the absolute opposite of cinematic.

Your definition of "cinematic" is flawed.

> Cinematic systems allow young kids to best old masters and success in
> the face of impossible odds, just like the movies. D20 does not.

You may want to RTFM again. It most certainly does.