Using Microsoft Visio to create hex maps.

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.misc (More info?)

I just started using Microsoft Visio to create gaming maps and floorplans.

Does anybody know of a way to create hex maps easily in Visio? I'd like to
use Visio to create Classic Battletech battlefields. Is there a way to
change the grid into a hex-grid?

Thanks in advance to anybody who knows.

"Stephen Gilman" <ao668@ncf.ca> wrote:
> I just started using Microsoft Visio to create gaming maps and floorplans.
>
> Does anybody know of a way to create hex maps easily in Visio? I'd like
> use Visio to create Classic Battletech battlefields. Is there a way to
> change the grid into a hex-grid?

There is a hexagon shape on one of the shape templates. (I forget which one;
it's a long time since I did it.) You can just replicate that shape in a row
down the page, group them into a single shape then replicate that several
times across the page. It's laborious, but you only need to do it once. Then
you assign that pattern to its own layer, lock it, and superimpose anything
else you need (terrain, etc.) by creating new layers.

I did that in a very old version of Visio (version 4). It's possible that
newer versions have more convenient ways of doing it.

--
David Meadows
"Ohhh-kayyy... Anyone got any kind of non-Zen plan?"