Reinstall Windows OEM XP

June 30, 2005 7:40:04 AM

I recently posted about File Association Problems which I have not overcome.
Would reinstalling the original OEM Ver of Windows XP Home have any effect
(adverse or otherwise) in restoring File Associations/Registry Entires
relating to Windows?
--
Regards
rbc

More about : reinstall windows oem

Anonymous
June 30, 2005 10:56:41 AM

Hi,

It would repair defaults, but not any custom associations. It would also set
you back as to Windows Updates, so you will need to redownload and install
them all immediately after repairing the installation. As to whether or not
the OEM disk is capable of a repair installation, it depends on the nature
of the media. An image restore generally won't do this, but a generic disk
should.

Information on doing a repair installation:

Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"rbc" <rbc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I recently posted about File Association Problems which I have not
>overcome.
> Would reinstalling the original OEM Ver of Windows XP Home have any effect
> (adverse or otherwise) in restoring File Associations/Registry Entires
> relating to Windows?
> --
> Regards
> rbc
Anonymous
June 30, 2005 10:46:02 PM

Thanks. Would it be better to purchase a full ver of Windows XP
Home/Professional and install that over the OEM ver I have now?
--
Regards
rbc

"Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> It would repair defaults, but not any custom associations. It would also set
> you back as to Windows Updates, so you will need to redownload and install
> them all immediately after repairing the installation. As to whether or not
> the OEM disk is capable of a repair installation, it depends on the nature
> of the media. An image restore generally won't do this, but a generic disk
> should.
>
> Information on doing a repair installation:
> http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "rbc" <rbc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I recently posted about File Association Problems which I have not
> >overcome.
> > Would reinstalling the original OEM Ver of Windows XP Home have any effect
> > (adverse or otherwise) in restoring File Associations/Registry Entires
> > relating to Windows?
> > --
> > Regards
> > rbc

June 30, 2005 10:47:02 PM

Sorry, should have added I went to the site you suggested and have saved the
info which is very good.
--
Regards
rbc

"Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> It would repair defaults, but not any custom associations. It would also set
> you back as to Windows Updates, so you will need to redownload and install
> them all immediately after repairing the installation. As to whether or not
> the OEM disk is capable of a repair installation, it depends on the nature
> of the media. An image restore generally won't do this, but a generic disk
> should.
>
> Information on doing a repair installation:
> http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "rbc" <rbc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I recently posted about File Association Problems which I have not
> >overcome.
> > Would reinstalling the original OEM Ver of Windows XP Home have any effect
> > (adverse or otherwise) in restoring File Associations/Registry Entires
> > relating to Windows?
> > --
> > Regards
> > rbc

Anonymous
July 1, 2005 10:57:11 AM

Hi,

No reason to purchase a retail disk unless the OEM one won't do the repair.
If you do decide to buy one, only get Pro if you need the added policy
editors and server features it offers.

--

!