D&D 3.5 Rules Question: Temporary Hit Points

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.misc (More info?)

Assume Bud has a maximum of 10 hit points. In battle, he goes down to
1 hit point (takes 9 damage). The cleric gives him an Aid spell, which
gives him 10 "temporary hit points". His current hit point total is
now 11, with 1 "real" and 10 "temporary".

The next round (with Aid still in effect), the cleric casts Cure Light
Wounds for 5 points. The question: does Bud get ANY points from this
spell? Since he is already over his max hit points of 10, some in our
campaign feel that the cure will not work. They feel the rules clearly
state you cannot go over your max hit points with a cure spell.

I feel the intent was to have "temporary" hit points set aside and
treated differently than "normal" hit points. I feel that the cure
should put Bud's "normal" hit points to 6, with the Aid's "temporary"
hit points still at 10, so Bud would have a total of 16 hit points.

But I cannot find any rules that state this. Can anyone out there help
me? What are your opinions?

Thanks,

Brannon
8 answers Last reply
More about rules question temporary points
  1. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.misc (More info?)

    brannonrad@yahoo.com wrote:
    > Assume Bud has a maximum of 10 hit points. In battle, he goes down
    > 1 hit point (takes 9 damage). The cleric gives him an Aid spell,
    which
    > gives him 10 "temporary hit points". His current hit point total is
    > now 11, with 1 "real" and 10 "temporary".
    >
    > The next round (with Aid still in effect), the cleric casts Cure
    Light
    > Wounds for 5 points. The question: does Bud get ANY points from this
    > spell? Since he is already over his max hit points of 10, some in
    our
    > campaign feel that the cure will not work. They feel the rules
    clearly
    > state you cannot go over your max hit points with a cure spell.
    >
    > I feel the intent was to have "temporary" hit points set aside and
    > treated differently than "normal" hit points. I feel that the cure
    > should put Bud's "normal" hit points to 6, with the Aid's "temporary"
    > hit points still at 10, so Bud would have a total of 16 hit points.
    >
    > But I cannot find any rules that state this. Can anyone out there
    help
    > me? What are your opinions?

    Personally, I'd say he'd only be allowed 10 hit points, "real" or
    "temporary." Thus, when he was given the Aid spell, his hit points went
    up to 10. When the CLW was cast, his "real" hit points went up to 6,
    but his "temporary" points would still only take him up to 10. You
    can't go beyond your max hit point value. Of course, this is only my
    opinion.

    Y'know, you might have better luck getting an answer for this in
    rec.games.frp.dnd, since this *is* a D&D question.

    Ralph Glatt
  2. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.misc (More info?)

    Mere moments before death, julian814@hotmail.com hastily scrawled:
    [temporary HP question]

    >Personally, I'd say he'd only be allowed 10 hit points, "real" or
    >"temporary." Thus, when he was given the Aid spell, his hit points went
    >up to 10. When the CLW was cast, his "real" hit points went up to 6,
    >but his "temporary" points would still only take him up to 10. You
    >can't go beyond your max hit point value. Of course, this is only my
    >opinion.

    Your opinion is worthless, as it directly contradicts the rules as
    written. Don't offer it again until you've RTFM.

    Ed Chauvin IV

    modifier G @ 11.

    --Terry Austin
  3. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.misc (More info?)

    Mere moments before death, julian814@hotmail.com hastily scrawled:
    >> No, but this was a question about WHAT THE RULES ACTUALLY SAY. You
    >> can play however you want to, but when someone asks you what the
    >rules
    >> actually say, you need to leave your (stupid) house rules out of it.
    >
    >Read the original post in THIS thread. He asked for opinions, and I
    >gave mine.

    And you phrased your (worthlessly stupid) "opinion" as if answering
    the question about what the rules actually say.

    Ed Chauvin IV

    modifier G @ 11.

    --Terry Austin
  4. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.misc (More info?)

    Ed Chauvin IV wrote:
    > Mere moments before death, julian814@hotmail.com hastily scrawled:
    > >> No, but this was a question about WHAT THE RULES ACTUALLY SAY.
    You
    > >> can play however you want to, but when someone asks you what the
    > >rules
    > >> actually say, you need to leave your (stupid) house rules out of
    it.

    > >Read the original post in THIS thread. He asked for opinions, and I
    > >gave mine.
    >
    > And you phrased your (worthlessly stupid) "opinion" as if answering
    > the question about what the rules actually say.

    Okay, let's see what the rules *do* say. Player's Handbook, page 129,
    lower right hand column - Healing Limits: You can never get back more
    hit points than you lost. Magical healing won't raise your current hit
    points higher than your hit point total.

    Now, if Aid is a spell that gives you hit points (albeit temporary),
    wouldn't you consider that magical healing? I would also like to add
    that elsewhere WotC has backed up my "useless" opinion.

    If Aid were a higher level spell, I could see your point, but it isn't.
    Try using some common sense.

    Ralph Glatt
  5. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.misc (More info?)

    RG> Oh, sorry, I forgot, you're one of those "we have to play by
    RG> the rules in the book, or we're not playing D&D" people.
    RG> That's what I hate most about D&D players today - they take
    RG> the books as being absolutes.

    Well, I don't think the books are absolute, but I like knowing what
    the rule in the book *is.* House rules are fine, but (especially if
    you play convention or RPGA games) it's important to realize that
    they're house rules and not official rules.

    Charlton

    --
    cwilbur at chromatico dot net
    cwilbur at mac dot com

    On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 02:44:35 -0800, julian814 wrote:

    > Ed Chauvin IV wrote:
    >> Mere moments before death, julian814@hotmail.com hastily scrawled:
    > You
    >> >rules
    > it.
    >> >
    >> >Read the original post in THIS thread. He asked for opinions, and I
    >> >gave mine.
    >>
    >> And you phrased your (worthlessly stupid) "opinion" as if answering
    >> the question about what the rules actually say.
    >

    > Okay, let's see what the rules *do* say. Player's Handbook, page 129,
    > lower right hand column - Healing Limits: You can never get back more
    > hit points than you lost. Magical healing won't raise your current hit
    > points higher than your hit point total.

    That limitation is on _healing_, keep reading and note the example given
    in the very next section.

    > Now, if Aid is a spell that gives you hit points (albeit temporary),
    > wouldn't you consider that magical healing?

    No, Aid is not a healing spell. It gives you extra hit points to
    represent the spell allowing you to shrug off a hit or two.

    > I would also like to add
    > that elsewhere WotC has backed up my "useless" opinion.

    No, they didn't: They said that if your hit point total, including
    temporary hit points, are equal to or greater than your full normal hit
    point total, then you cannot benefit from spells which heal hit point
    damage. The example used even had a character which had been brought to
    more than his nornal maximum/

    > If Aid were a higher level spell, I could see your point, but it isn't.
    > Try using some common sense.

    You mean like the common sense of reading the Temporary Hit Point
    section, and noting that there is no limitation on adding temporary hit
    points like there is with healing?
    Or the common sense of knowing that spells like Aid have always let you
    have more than your normal maximum, even before 3ed?

    --
    Phoenix
  7. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.misc (More info?)

    Having posted on the .dnd group a few times, I can understand why one
    might avoid the apparently mandatory flammage that occurs on .dnd .
    :-P
  8. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.misc (More info?)

    Mere moments before death, J. Johnson hastily scrawled:
    [nothing worth reading]

    Hopefully, that made you feel better. If not, seek professional help.

    Ed Chauvin IV

    modifier G @ 11.

    --Terry Austin

Games Video Games