favourites in explorer

Hi there,when i opened up my favourites folder in explorer some of my folders
have disappeared my daughter has been on the computer but swears she has not
even opened favourites,can anyone tell me why this has happened and if it is
possible to retrieve my folders.I have tried system restore but it did not
help,any help would be appreciated
6 answers Last reply
More about favourites explorer

    Hi

    The folders in Favourites don't normally disappear unless you may have a
    virus or spyware on your system. Have you virus checked your system with
    the latest definitions for your AV program and also checked your system for
    spyware:

    Ad-Aware - www.lavasoftusa.com
    Spybot - http://www.safer-networking.or­g/
    CWShredder - http://forum.aumha.org/downloa­ds/cwshredder.zip
    Spy Sweeper - www.webroot.com

    Try SpyWareBlaster to stop intrusions:

    http://www.javacoolsoftware.co­m/spywareblaster.html

    Also see the following links:

    http://aumha.org/a/parasite.ht­m
    http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/un­wanted.htm

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    "barwickred" <barwickred@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi there,when i opened up my favourites folder in explorer some of my
    > folders
    > have disappeared my daughter has been on the computer but swears she has
    > not
    > even opened favourites,can anyone tell me why this has happened and if it
    > is
    > possible to retrieve my folders.I have tried system restore but it did not
    > help,any help would be appreciated

    hi will, i have tried adaware and also cwshredder but they came up clear .Is
    spyware and adaware the same or are they different things,i am not really
    clued up on computers

    "Will Denny" wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > The folders in Favourites don't normally disappear unless you may have a
    > virus or spyware on your system. Have you virus checked your system with
    > the latest definitions for your AV program and also checked your system for
    > spyware:
    >
    > Ad-Aware - www.lavasoftusa.com
    > Spybot - http://www.safer-networking.or­g/
    > CWShredder - http://forum.aumha.org/downloa­ds/cwshredder.zip
    > Spy Sweeper - www.webroot.com
    >
    > Try SpyWareBlaster to stop intrusions:
    >
    > http://www.javacoolsoftware.co­m/spywareblaster.html
    >
    > Also see the following links:
    >
    > http://aumha.org/a/parasite.ht­m
    > http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/un­wanted.htm
    >
    > --
    >
    > Will Denny
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    > Please reply to the News Groups
    >

    > "barwickred" <barwickred@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi there,when i opened up my favourites folder in explorer some of my
    > > folders
    > > have disappeared my daughter has been on the computer but swears she has
    > > not
    > > even opened favourites,can anyone tell me why this has happened and if it
    > > is
    > > possible to retrieve my folders.I have tried system restore but it did not
    > > help,any help would be appreciated

    Adwares/spywares/hackwares/malwares are all annoying programs that get
    installed onto your system, without your knowledge or consent. These take
    up disk space, memory, Internet bandwidth and generally slows down your PC.
    Some even do more drastic changes by changing Windows files or by allowing
    some sneaky person take over control of your system (known as hackwares and
    Trojan viruses are the major group).

    I have one simple question: Does your computer have multiple user accounts
    (one for you and one for daughter?) If yes, then are you checking in the
    correct user account?

    > hi will, i have tried adaware and also cwshredder but they came up clear
    > .Is
    > spyware and adaware the same or are they different things,i am not really
    > clued up on computers
    >
    > "Will Denny" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> The folders in Favourites don't normally disappear unless you may have a
    >> virus or spyware on your system. Have you virus checked your system with
    >> the latest definitions for your AV program and also checked your system
    >> for
    >> spyware:
    >>
    >> Ad-Aware - www.lavasoftusa.com
    >> Spybot - http://www.safer-networking.or­g/
    >> CWShredder - http://forum.aumha.org/downloa­ds/cwshredder.zip
    >> Spy Sweeper - www.webroot.com
    >>
    >> Try SpyWareBlaster to stop intrusions:
    >>
    >> http://www.javacoolsoftware.co­m/spywareblaster.html
    >>
    >> Also see the following links:
    >>
    >> http://aumha.org/a/parasite.ht­m
    >> http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/un­wanted.htm
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> Will Denny
    >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >> Please reply to the News Groups
    >>

    >> "barwickred" <barwickred@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Hi there,when i opened up my favourites folder in explorer some of my
    >> > folders
    >> > have disappeared my daughter has been on the computer but swears she
    >> > has
    >> > not
    >> > even opened favourites,can anyone tell me why this has happened and if
    >> > it
    >> > is
    >> > possible to retrieve my folders.I have tried system restore but it did
    >> > not
    >> > help,any help would be appreciated

    Hi

    All of those programs will check for unwanted guests (spyware) on your
    system and then try to delete them. If those programs are not coming up
    with anything, you may have to have another word with your daughter :-)) In
    my case grandsons!!

    --

    Try an online virus scan as well:

    http://www.pandasoftware.com/products/activescan/com/activescan_principal.htm

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    Please reply to the News Groups

    "barwickred" <barwickred@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > hi will, i have tried adaware and also cwshredder but they came up clear
    > .Is
    > spyware and adaware the same or are they different things,i am not really
    > clued up on computers
    >
    > "Will Denny" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> The folders in Favourites don't normally disappear unless you may have a
    >> virus or spyware on your system. Have you virus checked your system with
    >> the latest definitions for your AV program and also checked your system
    >> for
    >> spyware:
    >>
    >> Ad-Aware - www.lavasoftusa.com
    >> Spybot - http://www.safer-networking.or­g/
    >> CWShredder - http://forum.aumha.org/downloa­ds/cwshredder.zip
    >> Spy Sweeper - www.webroot.com
    >>
    >> Try SpyWareBlaster to stop intrusions:
    >>
    >> http://www.javacoolsoftware.co­m/spywareblaster.html
    >>
    >> Also see the following links:
    >>
    >> http://aumha.org/a/parasite.ht­m
    >> http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/un­wanted.htm
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> Will Denny
    >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >> Please reply to the News Groups
    >>

    >> "barwickred" <barwickred@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Hi there,when i opened up my favourites folder in explorer some of my
    >> > folders
    >> > have disappeared my daughter has been on the computer but swears she
    >> > has
    >> > not
    >> > even opened favourites,can anyone tell me why this has happened and if
    >> > it
    >> > is
    >> > possible to retrieve my folders.I have tried system restore but it did
    >> > not
    >> > help,any help would be appreciated

    cheers Will

    "Will Denny" wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > Try an online virus scan as well:
    >
    > http://www.pandasoftware.com/products/activescan/com/activescan_principal.htm
    >
    > --
    >
    > Will Denny
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    > Please reply to the News Groups
    >

    > "barwickred" <barwickred@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > hi will, i have tried adaware and also cwshredder but they came up clear
    > > .Is
    > > spyware and adaware the same or are they different things,i am not really
    > > clued up on computers
    > >
    > > "Will Denny" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Hi
    > >>
    > >> The folders in Favourites don't normally disappear unless you may have a
    > >> virus or spyware on your system. Have you virus checked your system with
    > >> the latest definitions for your AV program and also checked your system
    > >> for
    > >> spyware:
    > >>
    > >> Ad-Aware - www.lavasoftusa.com
    > >> Spybot - http://www.safer-networking.or­g/