Hi there,when i opened up my favourites folder in explorer some of my folders
have disappeared my daughter has been on the computer but swears she has not
even opened favourites,can anyone tell me why this has happened and if it is
possible to retrieve my folders.I have tried system restore but it did not
help,any help would be appreciated

Hi

The folders in Favourites don't normally disappear unless you may have a
virus or spyware on your system. Have you virus checked your system with
the latest definitions for your AV program and also checked your system for
spyware:

Ad-Aware - www.lavasoftusa.com
Spybot - http://www.safer-networking.or­g/
CWShredder - http://forum.aumha.org/downloa­ds/cwshredder.zip
Spy Sweeper - www.webroot.com

Try SpyWareBlaster to stop intrusions:

http://www.javacoolsoftware.co­m/spywareblaster.html

Also see the following links:

http://aumha.org/a/parasite.ht­m
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/un­wanted.htm

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

"barwickred" <barwickred@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi there,when i opened up my favourites folder in explorer some of my
> folders
> have disappeared my daughter has been on the computer but swears she has
> not
> even opened favourites,can anyone tell me why this has happened and if it
> is
> possible to retrieve my folders.I have tried system restore but it did not
> help,any help would be appreciated

hi will, i have tried adaware and also cwshredder but they came up clear .Is
spyware and adaware the same or are they different things,i am not really
clued up on computers

"Will Denny" wrote:

> Hi
>
> The folders in Favourites don't normally disappear unless you may have a
> virus or spyware on your system. Have you virus checked your system with
> the latest definitions for your AV program and also checked your system for
> spyware:
>
> Ad-Aware - www.lavasoftusa.com
> Spybot - http://www.safer-networking.or­g/
> CWShredder - http://forum.aumha.org/downloa­ds/cwshredder.zip
> Spy Sweeper - www.webroot.com
>
> Try SpyWareBlaster to stop intrusions:
>
> http://www.javacoolsoftware.co­m/spywareblaster.html
>
> Also see the following links:
>
> http://aumha.org/a/parasite.ht­m
> http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/un­wanted.htm
>
> --
>
> Will Denny
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> Please reply to the News Groups
>

> "barwickred" <barwickred@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi there,when i opened up my favourites folder in explorer some of my
> > folders
> > have disappeared my daughter has been on the computer but swears she has
> > not
> > even opened favourites,can anyone tell me why this has happened and if it
> > is
> > possible to retrieve my folders.I have tried system restore but it did not
> > help,any help would be appreciated

Adwares/spywares/hackwares/malwares are all annoying programs that get
installed onto your system, without your knowledge or consent. These take
up disk space, memory, Internet bandwidth and generally slows down your PC.
Some even do more drastic changes by changing Windows files or by allowing
some sneaky person take over control of your system (known as hackwares and
Trojan viruses are the major group).

I have one simple question: Does your computer have multiple user accounts
(one for you and one for daughter?) If yes, then are you checking in the
correct user account?

> hi will, i have tried adaware and also cwshredder but they came up clear
> .Is
> spyware and adaware the same or are they different things,i am not really
> clued up on computers
>
> "Will Denny" wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> The folders in Favourites don't normally disappear unless you may have a
>> virus or spyware on your system. Have you virus checked your system with
>> the latest definitions for your AV program and also checked your system
>> for
>> spyware:
>>
>> Ad-Aware - www.lavasoftusa.com
>> Spybot - http://www.safer-networking.or­g/
>> CWShredder - http://forum.aumha.org/downloa­ds/cwshredder.zip
>> Spy Sweeper - www.webroot.com
>>
>> Try SpyWareBlaster to stop intrusions:
>>
>> http://www.javacoolsoftware.co­m/spywareblaster.html
>>
>> Also see the following links:
>>
>> http://aumha.org/a/parasite.ht­m
>> http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/un­wanted.htm
>>
>> --
>>
>> Will Denny
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>> Please reply to the News Groups
>>

>> "barwickred" <barwickred@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi there,when i opened up my favourites folder in explorer some of my
>> > folders
>> > have disappeared my daughter has been on the computer but swears she
>> > has
>> > not
>> > even opened favourites,can anyone tell me why this has happened and if
>> > it
>> > is
>> > possible to retrieve my folders.I have tried system restore but it did
>> > not
>> > help,any help would be appreciated

Hi

All of those programs will check for unwanted guests (spyware) on your
system and then try to delete them. If those programs are not coming up
with anything, you may have to have another word with your daughter :)) In
my case grandsons!!

--

Try an online virus scan as well:

http://www.pandasoftware.com/products/activescan/com/activescan_principal.htm

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
Please reply to the News Groups

"barwickred" <barwickred@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> hi will, i have tried adaware and also cwshredder but they came up clear
> .Is
> spyware and adaware the same or are they different things,i am not really
> clued up on computers
>
> "Will Denny" wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> The folders in Favourites don't normally disappear unless you may have a
>> virus or spyware on your system. Have you virus checked your system with
>> the latest definitions for your AV program and also checked your system
>> for
>> spyware:
>>
>> Ad-Aware - www.lavasoftusa.com
>> Spybot - http://www.safer-networking.or­g/
>> CWShredder - http://forum.aumha.org/downloa­ds/cwshredder.zip
>> Spy Sweeper - www.webroot.com
>>
>> Try SpyWareBlaster to stop intrusions:
>>
>> http://www.javacoolsoftware.co­m/spywareblaster.html
>>
>> Also see the following links:
>>
>> http://aumha.org/a/parasite.ht­m
>> http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/un­wanted.htm
>>
>> --
>>
>> Will Denny
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>> Please reply to the News Groups
>>

>> "barwickred" <barwickred@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi there,when i opened up my favourites folder in explorer some of my
>> > folders
>> > have disappeared my daughter has been on the computer but swears she
>> > has
>> > not
>> > even opened favourites,can anyone tell me why this has happened and if
>> > it
>> > is
>> > possible to retrieve my folders.I have tried system restore but it did
>> > not
>> > help,any help would be appreciated

cheers Will

"Will Denny" wrote:

> Hi
>
> Try an online virus scan as well:
>
> http://www.pandasoftware.com/products/activescan/com/activescan_principal.htm
>
> --
>
> Will Denny
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> Please reply to the News Groups
>

> "barwickred" <barwickred@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > hi will, i have tried adaware and also cwshredder but they came up clear
> > .Is
> > spyware and adaware the same or are they different things,i am not really
> > clued up on computers
> >
> > "Will Denny" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi
> >>
> >> The folders in Favourites don't normally disappear unless you may have a
> >> virus or spyware on your system. Have you virus checked your system with
> >> the latest definitions for your AV program and also checked your system
> >> for
> >> spyware:
> >>
> >> Ad-Aware - www.lavasoftusa.com
> >> Spybot - http://www.safer-networking.or­g/