Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Touchpad Disabling

Tags:
  • Touchpad
  • Synaptics
  • Windows 7
Last response: in Windows 7
Share
August 30, 2012 2:12:50 PM

I am running Windows 7 Home Premium on an HP Pavilion dv6 notebook. Until recently on startup the touchpad would be disabled automatically on startup if my USB trackball was connected. This no longer is the case; as a work-around I have added the Synaptics shortcut to my startup folder, but this leaves the Synaptics Touchpad Properties window oopen, and requires manual activity to close it.

Prior to adopting the above work-around I found that opening Control Panel and searching for 'touch' returned the Synaptics TouchPad V7.5 icon with the following three sub-links:
Settings;
Profiles; and
Info

The first time that the 'Info' sub-link is clicked disables the touchpad, and nothing else. Subsequent clicks displays the following info:
Synaptics Gesture Suite
SGS Version: SGS 11.4
TouchPad Series 2.0 - Profile Sensor
Driver Version: 15.3.29 13Oct11
FW Version: 7.5
Scrybe Version: Not installed
Interface: PS/2
Windows Version: Windows 7

Dragging the 'Info' sub-link into the startup folder produces the same results as draggng the Synaptics shortcut -- it disables the touchpad on startup but requires the user to manually exit the Synaptics Touchpad Properties window.

Any guidance towards re-establishing the original configuration will be deeply appreciated.

More about : touchpad disabling

September 1, 2012 9:51:43 PM

I'm trying to figure out if you want it enabled or disabled on startup.
Touch Pad should be in control panel under Mouse Properties, tab is after Hardware for name of mfg. of your touch pad. Should have a check mark for Disable if External Mouse is Plugged In.
m
0
l
September 2, 2012 12:03:25 AM

I want it to be disabled on startup if the trackball is attached. Unfortunately the touchpad does not seem to recognize the trackball until either the mouse properties or the touchpad properties has been launched. After either of these programs has been launched the touchpad recognizes and responds correctly to the attachment and disconnection of the trackball. Once either properties program is launched it is of no consequence whether it is closed; the interaction between the trackball and touchpad is correct.

" Disable if External Mouse is Plugged In" is checked.
m
0
l
Related resources

Best solution

September 9, 2012 8:10:37 PM

Then that is your answer, set one of the software, either mouse or trackball to launch on boot, go into setup and make it minimize to tray on startup.
Share
September 9, 2012 9:30:25 PM

Cyberat_88 said:
go into setup and make it minimize to tray on startup.

Thanks for the tip, but I cannot find a method of automatically minimizing on startup (launch?). Any detailed clarification would be appreciated.
m
0
l
September 11, 2012 9:15:20 PM

You could just delete the driver for the touchpad so the mouse could be used alone. Make a backup before you do this, though
m
0
l
September 12, 2012 1:25:35 AM

TheTyperofTruth said:
You could just delete the driver for the touchpad so the mouse could be used alone. Make a backup before you do this, though
The object of the exercise is to have the the touchpad enabled when there is no other pointing device available; otherwise it should be enabled. I cannot see this being achieved through removal of the touchpad driver.
m
0
l
September 26, 2012 8:00:53 PM

My laptop Elan software loads silently in the background. See about software options in the help menu, there must be a way to launch silent or minimized. Do a how to help search on those words.
m
0
l
October 6, 2012 1:49:52 AM

I did a search in the HP Help file on both word combinations. No Hits were found.
m
0
l
October 6, 2012 1:54:50 AM

I am currently running with the work-around I mentioned earlier -- I have the Synaptics touchpad in my Startup folder. I am grudgingly living with the nuisance of subsequently closing it each time I boot.
m
0
l
October 16, 2012 12:55:23 AM

Best answer selected by wdwells.
m
0
l
October 1, 2014 12:59:48 AM

I don't have an answer. I have a question. Found any solution (besides the triggering the mouse cp) since then?
m
0
l
October 1, 2014 8:51:22 AM

PrinceMonk said:
I don't have an answer. I have a question. Found any solution (besides the triggering the mouse cp) since then?


No. I still use the work-around where I have added the Synaptics shortcut to my startup folder and close the control panel which is subsequently displayed.
m
0
l
October 1, 2014 8:07:45 PM

wdwells said:
PrinceMonk said:
I don't have an answer. I have a question. Found any solution (besides the triggering the mouse cp) since then?


No. I still use the work-around where I have added the Synaptics shortcut to my startup folder and close the control panel which is subsequently displayed.


Then I've a suggestion for you:

After in your startup folder add a batch file with
taskkill /f /im rundll32.exe

This will close the window. But you have to make sure that this runs later.
m
0
l
October 3, 2014 9:32:03 AM

PrinceMonk said:
wdwells said:
PrinceMonk said:
I don't have an answer. I have a question. Found any solution (besides the triggering the mouse cp) since then?


No. I still use the work-around where I have added the Synaptics shortcut to my startup folder and close the control panel which is subsequently displayed.


Then I've a suggestion for you:

After in your startup folder add a batch file with
taskkill /f /im rundll32.exe

This will close the window. But you have to make sure that this runs later.


Thank you. That did the trick nicely.
m
0
l
!