Touchpad Disabling

wdwells

Honorable
Aug 30, 2012
I am running Windows 7 Home Premium on an HP Pavilion dv6 notebook. Until recently on startup the touchpad would be disabled automatically on startup if my USB trackball was connected. This no longer is the case; as a work-around I have added the Synaptics shortcut to my startup folder, but this leaves the Synaptics Touchpad Properties window oopen, and requires manual activity to close it.

Prior to adopting the above work-around I found that opening Control Panel and searching for 'touch' returned the Synaptics TouchPad V7.5 icon with the following three sub-links:
Settings;
Profiles; and
Info

The first time that the 'Info' sub-link is clicked disables the touchpad, and nothing else. Subsequent clicks displays the following info:
Synaptics Gesture Suite
SGS Version: SGS 11.4
TouchPad Series 2.0 - Profile Sensor
Driver Version: 15.3.29 13Oct11
FW Version: 7.5
Scrybe Version: Not installed
Interface: PS/2
Windows Version: Windows 7

Dragging the 'Info' sub-link into the startup folder produces the same results as draggng the Synaptics shortcut -- it disables the touchpad on startup but requires the user to manually exit the Synaptics Touchpad Properties window.

Any guidance towards re-establishing the original configuration will be deeply appreciated.

Solution
Then that is your answer, set one of the software, either mouse or trackball to launch on boot, go into setup and make it minimize to tray on startup.

Cyberat_88

Distinguished
I'm trying to figure out if you want it enabled or disabled on startup.
Touch Pad should be in control panel under Mouse Properties, tab is after Hardware for name of mfg. of your touch pad. Should have a check mark for Disable if External Mouse is Plugged In.

wdwells

Honorable
Aug 30, 2012
I want it to be disabled on startup if the trackball is attached. Unfortunately the touchpad does not seem to recognize the trackball until either the mouse properties or the touchpad properties has been launched. After either of these programs has been launched the touchpad recognizes and responds correctly to the attachment and disconnection of the trackball. Once either properties program is launched it is of no consequence whether it is closed; the interaction between the trackball and touchpad is correct.

" Disable if External Mouse is Plugged In" is checked.

wdwells

Honorable
Aug 30, 2012

Thanks for the tip, but I cannot find a method of automatically minimizing on startup (launch?). Any detailed clarification would be appreciated.

wdwells

Honorable
Aug 30, 2012
The object of the exercise is to have the the touchpad enabled when there is no other pointing device available; otherwise it should be enabled. I cannot see this being achieved through removal of the touchpad driver.

wdwells

Honorable
Aug 30, 2012
I am currently running with the work-around I mentioned earlier -- I have the Synaptics touchpad in my Startup folder. I am grudgingly living with the nuisance of subsequently closing it each time I boot.

wdwells

Honorable
Aug 30, 2012

No. I still use the work-around where I have added the Synaptics shortcut to my startup folder and close the control panel which is subsequently displayed.

PrinceMonk

Reputable
Oct 1, 2014

Then I've a suggestion for you:

After in your startup folder add a batch file with
taskkill /f /im rundll32.exe

This will close the window. But you have to make sure that this runs later.

wdwells

Honorable
Aug 30, 2012

Thank you. That did the trick nicely.