Can I get rid of the Security Center?

The Security Center is of no use to me, especially as it continues to
pop-up with largely erroneous messages about my virus checker not
being activated (Norton Antivirus) when it is actually up and active.

The utility will not save my preferred setting to use a third-party
product rather than it to advise me of any anti-virus problems - so it
is just a nuisance.

Can I deactivate it?

Yes, as long as you accept the loss in functionality. Security Center
runs as a Service. Click Start, Run (Type) Services.Msc [Enter]
Locate the Security Center Service, Right Click, Left Click Properties,
Toggle the Startup Type field to "Disabled", Click Apply OK - Reboot

"Tony Sanders" <kiwib9k9@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> The Security Center is of no use to me, especially as it continues to
> pop-up with largely erroneous messages about my virus checker not
> being activated (Norton Antivirus) when it is actually up and active.
>
> The utility will not save my preferred setting to use a third-party
> product rather than it to advise me of any anti-virus problems - so it
> is just a nuisance.
>
> Can I deactivate it?

The Security Center does more than just monitor your anti-virus. I've left
mine on because it's linked to Windows Updates. Other reasons are for
control of the Internet Options and the Windows Firewall.

Your choice - but better safe than sorry :)

"Tony Sanders" wrote:

> The Security Center is of no use to me, especially as it continues to
> pop-up with largely erroneous messages about my virus checker not
> being activated (Norton Antivirus) when it is actually up and active.
>
> The utility will not save my preferred setting to use a third-party
> product rather than it to advise me of any anti-virus problems - so it
> is just a nuisance.
>
> Can I deactivate it?

Bobby

I've been running 2000 Pro/Sever on two computers at home now for over 2
years. Don't have windows update set to auto, don't have antivirus
protection, and just recently installed Microsoft anti-spyware beta to see
what, or if it found anything. The good part the only things it found were
programs that I wanted (vnc, etc.). Occasionally I visit trend micro's site
+ microsoft, do a virus scan and check the updates that I MAYneed.
Both computers have performed wonderfully. So I guess I'm saying you should
be fine with the security center off, it's all in how and what you use your
computer for (My opinion). Good luck!!

"usasma" <usasma@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> The Security Center does more than just monitor your anti-virus. I've
> left
> mine on because it's linked to Windows Updates. Other reasons are for
> control of the Internet Options and the Windows Firewall.
>
> Your choice - but better safe than sorry :)
>
> "Tony Sanders" wrote:
>
>> The Security Center is of no use to me, especially as it continues to
>> pop-up with largely erroneous messages about my virus checker not
>> being activated (Norton Antivirus) when it is actually up and active.
>>
>> The utility will not save my preferred setting to use a third-party
>> product rather than it to advise me of any anti-virus problems - so it
>> is just a nuisance.
>>
>> Can I deactivate it?

frodo

if security center is not recognizing Norton AV's status correctly, then
you have not done a live update of NAV is a while; that was "fixed" months
ago.