Wd 1tb hdd is not fully format

carsonks

Honorable
Aug 30, 2012
Hello,
Format the this HDD and it told me that the format was complete, but at only 8602mb on one of my partition disk for OS. can anyone help

shanky887614

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010

im crap at explaining things but ill have a go

there is 1tb there but because of the way the format works you lose so much data

bassically data is saved in either 512 or 4096bit blocks on the hdd

now for each block you need information like what it is

so if you think about it, the space you cant access is basically information telling computer what it is and how to use it

Guys, 8602 MB is a bit over 8 GB. It's not normal for a 1 TB drive.

How old is your computer? If it's less than about 5-7 years old, you should be ok. But older computers couldn't format drives larger than 1 TB. You may need to go to the manufacturer's website and download and install a BIOS update before you can use a 1 TB drive.

If it's new, try checking to see how the drive is partitioned. Assuming you use Windows, from the Start menu, right-click on Computer. Select Manage. From the tree menu on the left, pick Disk Management.

That will show you the size of the drives installed on the computer, as well as any partitions you have on each drive. Is the 1 TB drive showing up as 931 GB? If not then you either need a BIOS update to use >1 TB drives, or it's a defective drive.

If the drive is showing up as 931 GB but your OS partition is showing up as a 8602 MB NTFS partition, then just right-click on the OS partition and choose Extend Volume to make it bigger. (I should warn you that Windows 7 sometimes likes to install on two partitions - a 100-400 MB boot partition, and a bigger OS partition. Don't mess with the boot partition.)

If you have other partitions on the drive, and there's only 8602 MB left for the OS, then you have a bigger problem. You need to shrink the other partition(s) before you can expand the OS partition. This takes a lot more time and you risk losing all the data on your hard drive. But it can be done. I recommend Partition Wizard as a free and friendlier way to do it than Windows' built-in disk management tool.
http://www.partitionwizard.com/free-partition-manager.html

Make sure you backup any data you have on the drive before you start messing with partitions. It's easy to make a mistake and wipe out all the data on the drive.

Go to the start button - type Computer management into the box and then under the programs list click on Computer management (this will open a management program box) -- in the program go to Disk management under the Storage tree (this loads the info on your disks -- see what it lists there for your HDD -- Is there any unpartitioned space ? - Is there more than one partition on that HDD ? What does it list as the size of the disk (normally 931.51GB for a 1TB HDD due to rounding 1000MB to 1 GB by marketing instead of 1024MB per GB. )