Gamers Wanted

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd,rec.games.frp.misc,rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

RPG Library now has a discussion forum with a "Gamers Wanted" topic.
Feel free to use it to find other players. It's new, and empty, but if
you post to it and encourage others to do so, you will soon have
another way of finding new players. A side benefit is that, because it
is a discussion forum, you can ask questions about a game or about a
potential player right there. Pretty handy. Check it out:

RPG Library Discussion Forum
http://www.rpglibrary.org/forum/

Topic: Gamers Wanted
http://www.rpglibrary.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=41

bblackmoor
2005-02-07

Bradd W. Szonye wrote:

> Don't you think it's a bit tacky to spam several discussion forums
with
> an ad for another forum? That generally doesn't go over well.

I don't think it's spam, I don't think it's tacky, I only posted to
Usenet groups of which I myself am a longtime participant, and where
else would one post such announcements?

More succinctly: no, I do not.

--
bblackmoor
2005-02-07

Bradd W. Szonye wrote:

> What, your server doesn't carry rgf.announce? It's
> the only group where your ad is on-topic, yet it's
> not included in your crosspost.

rgf.announce is moderated, so it was posted there separately. But
thanks for the suggestion.

bblackmoor
2005-02-07

Bradd W. Szonye wrote:

> It doesn't matter that one of the groups is moderated.

It does, actually, due to the way moderated newsgroups propagate.
<http://www.faqs.org/faqs/usenet/moderated-ng-faq/> helps explain it.

In case anyone cares, I created it mainly because the file quota on the
Hero Games discussion forum was recently lowered, which meant that a
lot of really great Hero Designer files and character illustrations had
to be removed. I have vasy amounts of file space and bandwidth, so I
figured I'd make a space for people to post those files. As long as I
was doing that, using a pgpBB forum to server that purpose seemed the
simplest way to get the job done. And as long as I was creating a forum
anyway, I may as well make it useful to all gamoing genres, not just
superheroes. So that's what I did.

BTW, thanks for responding to the announcement. Any response (even one
like yours) helps draw attention, and I appreciate your efforts in
publicizing the new RPG Library forum
<http://www.rpglibrary.org/forum/>. Maybe the forum will catch on, and
maybe it won't, but I do appreciate your help in getting the word out.
Thanks.

bblackmoor
2005-02-07

Bradd W. Szonye wrote:
> bblackmoor wrote:
>> In case anyone cares, I created it mainly because the
>> file quota on the Hero Games discussion forum was
>> recently lowered, which meant that a lot of really
>> great Hero Designer files and character illustrations
>> had to be removed ....
>
> And that's relevant to this forum how?

This is how:

>> And as long as I was creating a forum anyway, I may as
>> well make it useful to all gaming genres, not just
>> superheroes. So that's what I did.

Feel free to let me know if you have any other questions. :)

--
bblackmoor
2005-02-07

bblackmoor wrote:
> RPG Library now has a discussion forum with a "Gamers Wanted" topic.
> Feel free to use it to find other players. It's new, and empty, but if
> you post to it and encourage others to do so, you will soon have
> another way of finding new players. A side benefit is that, because it
> is a discussion forum, you can ask questions about a game or about a
> potential player right there. Pretty handy. Check it out:
>
> RPG Library Discussion Forum
> http://www.rpglibrary.org/forum/
>
> Topic: Gamers Wanted
> http://www.rpglibrary.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=41

Don't you think it's a bit tacky to spam several discussion forums with
an ad for another forum? That generally doesn't go over well.
--
Bradd W. Szonye
http://www.szonye.com/bradd

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd,rec.games.frp.misc,rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

"sloppy wankmags" the forum.

Hey! Its off-subject but it has words on it - right?

sheeesh

it happens once a month, evey month

bblackmoor wrote:
> I don't think it's spam --

Spammers never do. It's an ad cross-posted to three groups. While that's
not the spammiest spam ever posted, it has the same general smell.

"Bradd W. Szonye" <bradd+news@szonye.com> wrote in

> Bradd W. Szonye wrote:
>>> Don't you think it's a bit tacky to spam several discussion forums
>>> with an ad for another forum? That generally doesn't go over well.
>
> bblackmoor wrote:
>> I don't think it's spam --
>
> Spammers never do. It's an ad cross-posted to three groups. While that's
> not the spammiest spam ever posted, it has the same general smell.

S'Okay. We'll forgive Blackmoor, him being such a moron and all.

Besides, have you look at his forum? He has lots of topics. Lots and lots
and lots of topic. I don't recall seeing a single one with more than two
posts in it, but there's *lots* of topics.

It's rec.games.frp.moderated all over again.

Now leave the 'tard alone. He's had a long day.

--
Terry Austin
www.hyperbooks.com

bblackmoor wrote:
> rgf.announce is moderated, so it was posted there separately. But
> thanks for the suggestion.

You posted two separate copies of the same article, one of them cross-
posted, to a total of four newsgroups? Smells even spammier. If the
article were appropriate for all four groups, you should've cross-posted
to all four, in a single article.

It doesn't matter that one of the groups is moderated. If cross-posting
is the right thing to do, then cross-post away. If you're not sure, then
DON'T POST. Breaking off the moderated newsgroup to a separate article
is surely the wrong thing to do.

Spammer.
--
Bradd W. Szonye
http://www.szonye.com/bradd

bblackmoor wrote:
> It does, actually, due to the way moderated newsgroups propagate.
> <http://www.faqs.org/faqs/usenet/moderated-ng-faq/> helps explain it.

I'm well aware of how moderated newsgroups propagate. Splitting off the
moderated copy to a separate article only makes your ad spammier.
Especially if, as I suspect, you did it so that the other groups would
get spammed fasters.

> In case anyone cares, I created it mainly because the file quota on
> the Hero Games discussion forum was recently lowered, which meant that
> a lot of really great Hero Designer files and character illustrations
> had to be removed ....

And that's relevant to this forum how?

> BTW, thanks for responding to the announcement. Any response (even one
> like yours) helps draw attention ....

You're reading straight from the spammer playbook, aren't you?
--
Bradd W. Szonye
http://www.szonye.com/bradd

Bradd W. Szonye wrote:

> It doesn't matter that one of the groups is moderated. If cross-posting
> is the right thing to do, then cross-post away. If you're not sure, then
> DON'T POST. Breaking off the moderated newsgroup to a separate article
> is surely the wrong thing to do.
>
> Spammer.

If I have the same thing to say to multiple groups, I usually post
separate messages to each group. Some servers stop ANYTHING
crossposted as spam.

--
Sea Wasp
/^\

Sea Wasp wrote:
> If I have the same thing to say to multiple groups, I usually post
> separate messages to each group. Some servers stop ANYTHING
> crossposted as spam.

Multi-posting is extremely poor netiquette. It fragments discussions and
circumvents the mechanisms newsreaders use to track (or kill) threads
even across multiple newsgroups. If a server suppresses a cross-post but
does not suppress an equivalent multi-post, that server is broken.
--
Bradd W. Szonye
http://www.szonye.com/bradd