Prior to Windows XP, a Power Toy that I used a lot with NT and 2000 was the
Explorer tool "copy filename to clipboard" . I found that very useful.
However, it doesn't seem to be included in the Windows XP collection of
Power Toys.

Does anyone know if I can safely install the old one without damaging
something in Windows XP, or is there a similar freeware applet somewhere?

Thanks.

-Brian Harder

[[Are any of these programs dangerous to use in Windows 98, ME, or XP?

Send to X, which adds to the “Send To” context menu options of Send To Any
Folder, Send To Clipboard, and Send To Command Line, has caused some
problems in Windows 98. Some people report that it interferes with Win98’s
built-in Send to Desktop feature. This does not happen on every computer (it
didn’t happen on mine), but does happen on some.

Win ME & XP NOTE: With only a single exception known to me, users have
reported that this PowerToy installs and works just fine on Windows ME and
XP, without needing the patch. To ward against even a slim chance of a
problem, set a Restore Point right before installing “Send to X,”
immediately test for problems, and do a System Restore if you want to back
out of the install.]]
Windows PowerToys FAQ
for Windows 95, 98, ME, 2000 & XP
http://www.aumha.org/a/powertoy.htm

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:%2318$PgXfFHA.1248@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
Brian Harder <bharder@lee(architects).com> hunted and pecked:

Brian Harder wrote:
> Prior to Windows XP, a Power Toy that I used a lot with NT and 2000 was the
> Explorer tool "copy filename to clipboard" . I found that very useful.
> However, it doesn't seem to be included in the Windows XP collection of
> Power Toys.
>
> Does anyone know if I can safely install the old one without damaging
> something in Windows XP, or is there a similar freeware applet somewhere?
>
> Thanks.
>
> -Brian Harder

It's on my XPPro and I have encountered no problems.

JB

General Send To Tips
=================
Install the Windows 95 Send To Power Toys (http://www.microsoft.com/Windows95/downloads/contents/WUToys/W95PwrToysSet/Default.asp). After installing go to Add/Remove programs in Control Panel and select Send To Extension Power Toys, click Add/Remove and clear the checkboxes for the three mail extensions. Type in Start Run
Regsvr32 sendmail

To create sub menus on the Send To menu type Sendto in the Start - Run dialog box. Click a blank spot and choose New then Folder. Rename the folder to the name you want on the Send To menu. Drag your shortcuts you want on the menu into this folder.

Put a shortcut to Sendto folder into the Sendto folder. Then when you want to add a program or folder to the Send To menu right click it, choose Send To then while holding Ctrl + Shift click Sendto.

To get a list of filenames select all and Send To Clipboard As Name. This also works in Search.

Key Description
File System Objects
Control Copies a file
Shift Moves a file
Control and Shift Creates a shortcut

Send To Powertoys (except Send To Clipboard as Contents)
Control Uses the short file name rather than the long file name

Send To Clipboard as Contents Powertoys
Control Displays a dialog box to select the clipboard data formats