Error installing SP2 on XP Professional

My install fails with the following message.

"Service Pack 2 Setup could not backup registry value
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControSet\Services\Eventlog\Security\Security,\'EvemtMessagefile\'. 5:Access is denied."

My options are Retry Abort Ignore, none of which works

Any Ideas and thanks
--
Gary B.
2 answers Last reply

    you will need to log on as the adminstrator of that machine.

    peace

    garyb wrote:

    > My install fails with the following message.
    >
    > "Service Pack 2 Setup could not backup registry value
    > HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControSet\Services\Eventlog\Security\Security
    \'EvemtMessagefile\'.
    > 5:Access is denied."
    >
    > My options are Retry Abort Ignore, none of which works
    >
    > Any Ideas and thanks

    See if this helps:

    You receive an "Access is denied" error message when you try to install
    Windows XP Service Pack 2:
    http://www.michna.com/kb/WxSP2.htm#Cannot_install_Service_Pack_2

    Malke
    --