Changing Hardware affects WinXP?

IF Hi,
If I change the motherboard on my computer, does it mess up my windows XP?
Is that is the case, is there a way to repair this without formatting the
hard drive?

Thanks
13 answers Last reply
More about changing hardware affects winxp

    cbayardo wrote:

    > IF Hi,
    > If I change the motherboard on my computer, does it mess up my windows XP?
    > Is that is the case, is there a way to repair this without formatting the
    > hard drive?
    >
    > Thanks

    You will need to do a repair install of XP unless the motherboard is
    identical to the one you replace. What type of computer is it?

    Steve

    no, i does not mess up your winXP

    peace

    "cbayardo" <cbayardo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > IF Hi,
    > If I change the motherboard on my computer, does it mess up my windows XP?
    > Is that is the case, is there a way to repair this without formatting the
    > hard drive?
    >
    > Thanks

    you will need to do a repair install then possibly activate
    --
    there are no problems, just challenges

    Psing21 wrote:

    > no, i does not mess up your winXP
    >
    > peace

    Wrong.

    steve

    > "cbayardo" <cbayardo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>IF Hi,
    >>If I change the motherboard on my computer, does it mess up my windows XP?
    >>Is that is the case, is there a way to repair this without formatting the
    >>hard drive?
    >>
    >>Thanks

    Actually it doesn't "mess up your winXP"! If you put the correct
    motherboard back in, it is plainly obvious the winXP was not "messed
    up". It may not start on the "different motherboard", but it's NOT
    messed up.

    Bob I wrote:

    > Actually it doesn't "mess up your winXP"! If you put the correct
    > motherboard back in, it is plainly obvious the winXP was not "messed
    > up". It may not start on the "different motherboard", but it's NOT
    > messed up.

    Did you read my reply to the OP?

    Steve

    > Steve N. wrote:
    >
    >> Psing21 wrote:
    >>
    >>> no, i does not mess up your winXP
    >>>
    >>> peace
    >>

    >> Wrong.
    >>
    >> steve
    >>

    >>> "cbayardo" <cbayardo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    i have personally changed the mother board in my pc and had no such
    problems!

    steve, your wrong!

    Psing21 wrote:

    > i have personally changed the mother board in my pc and had no such
    > problems!
    >
    > steve, your wrong!

    Do a search on this subject here in this newsgroup, it's been discussed
    many times and many people have had to do a repair install after a
    motherboard change. Just because YOU got lucky once doesn't make me
    wrong about it.

    Steve

    In news:uY3NQ5YfFHA.460@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
    Psing21 <wsingletary@sbsway.com> typed:

    > i have personally changed the mother board in my pc and had no
    > such
    > problems!

    Then you changed the motherboard for one that was similar-enough
    to the old one that a repair installation wasn't required. That's
    a rare occurence, and you were lucky.

    > steve, your wrong!

    For the great majority of circumstances, he is exactly right.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    > "Steve N." <Steve_N@nunya.biz.nes> wrote in message
    >> cbayardo wrote:
    >>
    >>> IF Hi,
    >>> If I change the motherboard on my computer, does it mess up
    >>> my
    >>> windows XP? Is that is the case, is there a way to repair
    >>> this
    >>> without formatting the hard drive? Thanks
    >>
    >> You will need to do a repair install of XP unless the
    >> motherboard is
    >> identical to the one you replace. What type of computer is it?
    >>
    >> Steve

    The only reason you would have to do a new install is if the new
    motherboard's bios had a drastically different configuration setup for the
    same hard drive. This MAY render the data, thus the OS, thus the
    fileeystem, thus the partiiton, thus the MBR unreadable.
    Motherboards made in the last couple of years eeem more and more easy to
    eschange hard drives without dire consequences. Same maker and bios
    manufacturer seems the best route to go on this.
    But, I will not say that you will not suffer such consequences as others
    have guessed at.

    SATA/RAID drivers aside, you may need to run the recovery console, install
    new drivers for the motherboard afterwards, and you will have to get another
    product ID from MS as the MAC summation will have changed drastically.
    "cbayardo" <cbayardo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > IF Hi,
    > If I change the motherboard on my computer, does it mess up my windows XP?
    > Is that is the case, is there a way to repair this without formatting the
    > hard drive?
    >
    > Thanks

    Only the Mass Storage (IDE/ATAPI/SATA) controller driver will force
    a Repair install. If the old/new motherboard uses the same driver base,
    a swap will work. The newer chipset components will be re-enumerated
    on the first boot. However, you'll have lots-&-lots of "Phantom Devices"
    in Device Manager. Steve wasn't wrong at all.

    "Psing21" <wsingletary@sbsway.com> wrote in message
    >i have personally changed the mother board in my pc and had no such
    >problems!
    >
    > steve, your wrong!
    >

    > "Steve N." <Steve_N@nunya.biz.nes> wrote in message
    >> cbayardo wrote:
    >>
    >>> IF Hi,
    >>> If I change the motherboard on my computer, does it mess up my windows
    >>> XP? Is that is the case, is there a way to repair this without
    >>> formatting the hard drive? Thanks
    >>
    >> You will need to do a repair install of XP unless the motherboard is
    >> identical to the one you replace. What type of computer is it?
    >>
    >> Steve

    I had to do a complete re-install to prevent BSD after installing a new
    mobo.

    cbayardo wrote:
    > IF Hi,
    > If I change the motherboard on my computer, does it mess up my windows XP?
    > Is that is the case, is there a way to repair this without formatting the
    > hard drive?
    >
    > Thanks

    Normally, and assuming a retail license (many OEM installations are
    BIOS-locked to a specific chipset and therefore not transferable to a
    new motherboard - check yours before starting), unless the new
    motherboard is virtually identical (same chipset, same IDE controllers,
    same BIOS version, etc.) to the one on which the WinXP installation was
    originally performed, you'll need to perform a repair (a.k.a. in-place
    upgrade) installation, at the very least:

    The "why" is quite simple, really, and has nothing to do with
    licensing issues, per se; it's a purely technical matter, at this point.
    You've pulled the proverbial hardware rug out from under the OS. (If
    you don't like -- or get -- the rug analogy, think of it as picking up a
    Cape Cod style home and then setting it down onto a Ranch style
    foundation. It just isn't going to fit.) WinXP, like Win2K before it,
    is not nearly as "promiscuous" as Win9x when it comes to accepting any
    old hardware configuration you throw at it. On installation it
    "tailors" itself to the specific hardware found. This is one of the
    reasons that the entire WinNT/2K/XP OS family is so much more stable
    than the Win9x group.

    important data before starting.

    This will also probably require re-activation, unless you have a
    Volume Licensed version of WinXP Pro installed. If it's been more than
    120 days since you last activated that specific Product Key, you'll most
    likely be able to activate via the Internet without problem. If it's
    been less, you might have to make a 5 minute phone call.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm